• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

*SIGNED* Harvey Pekar American Splendor 15 1st printing Fine 1990 Spain Stack

8 posts in this topic

http://www.ebay.com/itm/-/201919311163

***the only SIGNED Original series American Splendor on eBay (excepting my # 16)***

Literary Great-Read comics on the CHEAP!

#157 of an ongoing series!

This is my 641st post for a new, ongoing eBay listing...for those with any interest

ericjmz 

Edited by ericjmz
verbiage change suggested by 2 members

Your listing made me curious. What is the claim "only signed #15 in the world" based on ?

5/8

Good morning

At the time of my listing (actually last nite to be exact, I took the book to work today to complete the posting) I searched on eBay /  amazon / ABE / alibris / & Biblio (the latter two via the combined search engine bookfinder.com)

with search terms  ' harvey pekar  / american splendor / signed '  all in the appropriate fields for each term

I turned up zilch

Those are the only places I know to look and regardless should cover 99% of posted listings

That being said any Joe Schmo comic shop or book store of the thoundsands+ that must exist cetainly could have an unadvertised copy., of course.

So i used that hyperbole...which was accurate to my understanding at the time

Of course if I am shown to be wrong (which my wife will happily give you a notarized affidavit attesting to such) I am happy to apologize & change the listing...and/or the price dependent on findings.

thank you for your inquiry

ericjmz

On 5/8/2017 at 10:33 AM, ericjmz said:

5/8

Good morning

At the time of my listing (actually last nite to be exact, I took the book to work today to complete the posting) I searched on eBay /  amazon / ABE / alibris / & Biblio (the latter two via the combined search engine bookfinder.com)

with search terms  ' harvey pekar  / american splendor / signed '  all in the appropriate fields for each term

I turned up zilch

Those are the only places I know to look and regardless should cover 99% of posted listings

That being said any Joe Schmo comic shop or book store of the thoundsands+ that must exist cetainly could have an unadvertised copy., of course.

So i used that hyperbole...which was accurate to my understanding at the time

Of course if I am shown to be wrong (which my wife will happily give you a notarized affidavit attesting to such) I am happy to apologize & change the listing...and/or the price dependent on findings.

thank you for your inquiry

ericjmz

Thanks,

I thought maybe the Pekar estate confirmed as much or something that he only signed one copy of that book and no more.

That's what got me curious, if there was some weird back story or provenance to the book.

It makes sense if you mean it as "only copy I can find for sale right now...in existence". 

Good Luck with the Sale!

8 hours ago, comix4fun said:

Thanks,

I thought maybe the Pekar estate confirmed as much or something that he only signed one copy of that book and no more.

That's what got me curious, if there was some weird back story or provenance to the book.

It makes sense if you mean it as "only copy I can find for sale right now...in existence". 

Good Luck with the Sale!

Agreed... its an unverifiable claim and it just feels kind of slimy... not saying that as a personal attack but hyperbole in an auction isn't a good thing.  It's also something that could be used against you on ebay as you making a false claim.  I'd consider editing and changing it.

Also, did you get it personally signed?  Is there any COA or pics of the signing etc?

Edited by Drbearsec

I thank you for yout thoughts; changes made to both the auction listing on eBay & the posting.

Although I disagree to an extent, the fact that TWO of you feel that way...and that I CAN see your point regardless...made the switch decision for me...

...so I thank you both

To broaden your perspectives a little bit, it is certainly NOT eBay FRAUD nor anything remotely close to it; not intentionally, but not even Unintentionally.

It goes without saying that when a posting is up for 7 days...or a direct sale for 30 days...that OF COURSE changes in other folks listings might subsequently occur that would alter the veracity of a statement when the listing was made prior. To me that is intuitive, just so obivously true...but i do concede that others might think differently.

When I listed a signed ZAP I quoted how much cheaper my copy was than every other copy out there (none even remotely close)...and although I don't think it did, of course someone could have changed a price or added a new posting a minute, a day, or 29 days later which would then make my statement different; goes with the territory.

My goal is to be 100% true in all my words, without exception; adjectives are just that...as long as truthful of course! :-)

Thank you both for your thoughts; you convinced me

ericjmz

PS: if there had been COA verification it would have been in the listing,with pictures; and no estate could 100% verify how few nor how many a given author/artist might have signed

27 minutes ago, ericjmz said:

I thank you for yout thoughts; changes made to both the auction listing on eBay & the posting.

Although I disagree to an extent, the fact that TWO of you feel that way...and that I CAN see your point regardless...made the switch decision for me...

...so I thank you both

To broaden your perspectives a little bit, it is certainly NOT eBay FRAUD nor anything remotely close to it; not intentionally, but not even Unintentionally.

It goes without saying that when a posting is up for 7 days...or a direct sale for 30 days...that OF COURSE changes in other folks listings might subsequently occur that would alter the veracity of a statement when the listing was made prior. To me that is intuitive, just so obivously true...but i do concede that others might think differently.

When I listed a signed ZAP I quoted how much cheaper my copy was than every other copy out there (none even remotely close)...and although I don't think it did, of course someone could have changed a price or added a new posting a minute, a day, or 29 days later which would then make my statement different; goes with the territory.

My goal is to be 100% true in all my words, without exception; adjectives are just that...as long as truthful of course! :-)

Thank you both for your thoughts; you convinced me

ericjmz

PS: if there had been COA verification it would have been in the listing,with pictures; and no estate could 100% verify how few nor how many a given author/artist might have signed

I've found so many ebay buyers to be rather unreasonable and ebay's policies so one-sided in their favor that sellers are almost forced to draft their descriptions defensively. It's only gotten more intense in this direction in the  last few years. So at least you've defended yourself already by editing it. 

21 minutes ago, comix4fun said:

I've found so many ebay buyers to be rather unreasonable and ebay's policies so one-sided in their favor that sellers are almost forced to draft their descriptions defensively. It's only gotten more intense in this direction in the  last few years. So at least you've defended yourself already by editing it. 

and the more I think about your initial advice...the MORE I liked it! :-)

to add to your thought 'sellers are almost forced to draft their descriptions defensively. It's only gotten more intense in this direction in the  last few years'...

Well as generalizations go (the proverbial 90% true 90% of the time)..

My favorite buyers are the paperback book buyers...'moldy old figs'  I think was the phrase in an old Crumb/Pekar comic...just wonderful buyers, gentlemen (& women) to a tee!

The worst...PC Gamers...they really ARE as high-strung, immature as my wife fears I AM when I'm doing important work, like saving this world and others from Aliens, monsters, & Zombies...hey, SOMEBODY has to do it! ; )

I have found comic buyers per se to be quite reasonable folk...but I think that's because I bend way over backwards to under-grade or grade exactly on point, never a smidgeon over ever...and to underprice purposefully, the entire point being just to 'thin-down' as the prime directive (to quote an old star trek show)

I have one...and only one...major problem with eBay rules, that being their decision a few years ago to not allow any grading for a buyer other than positive.

The financial reasons of keeping the millions flowing is obvious.

But the practical result is it gives buyers carte blanche to sink to their lowest impulses--and why not? It is a consequence-free world on eBay for them now. Others tell me its encouraged (frankly) bargaining for return monies after the fact...with the implied threat of a low rating

ericjmz