• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Michael Turner CGC Signature Series

12 posts in this topic

On the JSC thread, there is a pic posted showing a signed JSC comic with COA bought at his booth without out him being there to sign in front of a witness but still qualifying for a gold SS label. 

If this is now allowed by CGC, what keeps me from buying signed Aspen books by Michael Turner and getting them gold label?

Edited by Califelix

1 word.

Brett. 

Aka the guy who runs Campbells booth. Brett witnesses every single signature that Scott does.  Consider him an official cgc jsc witness. Hence the gold lable cgc stuff.

Also if you don't bring a witness to the Campbell booth to get your pre signed campbell book... Green label. Cgc must witness you get the book directly from Brett. The COA is nice but meaningless.

Michael Turner's (RIP) raw sigs out there are unwitnessed by any cgc official therefor green label if submitted.

15 hours ago, TheRealVenom said:

1 word.

Brett. 

Aka the guy who runs Campbells booth. Brett witnesses every single signature that Scott does.  Consider him an official cgc jsc witness. Hence the gold lable cgc stuff.

Also if you don't bring a witness to the Campbell booth to get your pre signed campbell book... Green label. Cgc must witness you get the book directly from Brett. The COA is nice but meaningless.

Michael Turner's (RIP) raw sigs out there are unwitnessed by any cgc official therefor green label if submitted.

I knew about needing a rep to pick it up and how useless COAs are when it comes to CGC....but i didn't know about Brett being witness of sorts. I just thought I could go to aspen booth now with a witness and grab a couple signed Turner books for gold label. 

51 minutes ago, Califelix said:

I knew about needing a rep to pick it up and how useless COAs are when it comes to CGC....but i didn't know about Brett being witness of sorts. I just thought I could go to aspen booth now with a witness and grab a couple signed Turner books for gold label. 

CGC witness has to see the sig, and that chain of custody must be kept.. 

I've got a Turner,Stiegerwald and Caldwell signed book I am debating about getting Green labeled.......assuming its grades out a 9.8 do you think its worth doing or should I just get a nice frame instead?

I don't want to throw away the $30 if it grades out< sub 9.8.....just being honest

On 5/13/2017 at 8:01 AM, Dwitkin82 said:

I've got a Turner,Stiegerwald and Caldwell signed book I am debating about getting Green labeled.......assuming its grades out a 9.8 do you think its worth doing or should I just get a nice frame instead?

I don't want to throw away the $30 if it grades out< sub 9.8.....just being honest

Last I heard it down grades the book too so you probably won't get a 9.8. Can anyone else confirm this?

10 hours ago, Califelix said:

Last I heard it down grades the book too so you probably won't get a 9.8. Can anyone else confirm this?

It's not true. Green label books are graded as if the qualifying defect doesn't exist - which in this case would be the unverified signatures. There's nothing stopping a green label book from being a 9.8 (or 9.9/10.0).

1 hour ago, mschmidt said:

It's not true. Green label books are graded as if the qualifying defect doesn't exist - which in this case would be the unverified signatures. There's nothing stopping a green label book from being a 9.8 (or 9.9/10.0).

So that being said......is it worth it?

17 minutes ago, Dwitkin82 said:
1 hour ago, mschmidt said:

So that being said......is it worth it?

well that probably depends on the grade and how much you paid for the book and other economies of scale (how many books in your submission), and how much you are willing to risk for a certain profit margin.

If you paid $5 for a book signed by Michael Turner, then got it slabbed green for $20-$25 bucks all in (including shipping to/from, insurance, grading, invoice fee), lets say you're $30 in total.  Now for a green label CGC 9.8 how much do you think you can sell it for?  $35? $50? $100?  How much profit do you need to make it worth it? What about the risk of getting a 9.6?

If you're looking for ROI, you're probably better off trying to sell that $5 comic for $10-$15, less risk, better percentage ROI in most cases.  And your answer might change if you spent $10-$20 on the book, obviously.  Do the best research you can, and think out the economics of your specific situation (do you sell online? go to shows? own a store?)

17 minutes ago, revat said:

well that probably depends on the grade and how much you paid for the book and other economies of scale (how many books in your submission), and how much you are willing to risk for a certain profit margin.

If you paid $5 for a book signed by Michael Turner, then got it slabbed green for $20-$25 bucks all in (including shipping to/from, insurance, grading, invoice fee), lets say you're $30 in total.  Now for a green label CGC 9.8 how much do you think you can sell it for?  $35? $50? $100?  How much profit do you need to make it worth it? What about the risk of getting a 9.6?

If you're looking for ROI, you're probably better off trying to sell that $5 comic for $10-$15, less risk, better percentage ROI in most cases.  And your answer might change if you spent $10-$20 on the book, obviously.  Do the best research you can, and think out the economics of your specific situation (do you sell online? go to shows? own a store?)

All very valid points.....so first I am not looking to sell. This is for my PC. Second I paid $25 for the book when I won it from the original owner (trusted source on FB)

So its more for the sake of finding out the grade, and the fact that CGC is doing onsite at a local show this weekend so it saves me shipping..

All that said I'll probably hold off.....