• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are thick double covers not attached?

6 posts in this topic

Are thick double covers not attached?

I bought a comic the other day on eBay and it said it was a double cover. It's a Marvel Super Heroes 23 and when I received it I noticed the outer cover was not attached. I looked at the listing and he said that's how square bound double covers come. Is this for real?

I believe this is true = the outer cover would not be attached. The cover on square bounds were glued . The pages were stapled but not to the cover. The outer cover on the double cover was probably not glued because it was just two covers sticking together, going through the process once.

Makes sense for sure.  The outer (double) cover would've typically been stapled-on, but since the covers were glued-on for the thick books, rather than attached by staples, just the inside cover would've been hit with any glue.  The two covers would've been inadvertently stuck together during the assembly process and just the inner cover would've ever touched the glue.  Now if you saw a "double cover" with the outer cover glued-on to the inner cover.. I'd be suspicious that it was a "manufactured" double cover!

It is true that double cover square bounds have the outer cover not attached. If you come across any attached, then they were faked. It is pretty easy to determine if an outer cover is legit as it is completely clean on the inner spine of any glue residue and any small spine stress lines should line up perfectly.