• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Iron Fist #1 extra factory staples

2 posts in this topic

Iron Fist #1 extra factory staples

I've got a copy of Iron Fist 1 that has two sets of what look like factory staples. One set on the inside and one on the outside. Also the cover looks like it was never properly trimmed. The front and back cover both extend out past the pages more than any book I've seen before.

I did some research and read that this can happen as part of the printing process and if there aren't enough books to fill the order they'll pull some of these "reject" books for inclusion.

Just wondering if anyone has ever had a book like this graded and what effect it had on the grade and if it was noted on the label.

Also wondering if this hurts the value,  adds value, or makes no difference.

By research, I assume you read about this in DiceX's thread.  Assuming that the book is original and hasn't been married by anyone but the production line, it's an interesting situation.  The presence of extra production staples should not impact the grade.  It may or may not receive a note stating "Manufactured with extra staples." However, the extension of the cover may prevent the book from being graded.  CGC used to reject and return books with significant "overhang", because slabbing them could result in causing further damage to the cover. I am not sure what they are presently doing.