• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Shill bidding on Ebay?
1 1

6 posts in this topic

Shill bidding on Ebay?

I saw this dented Chromium Spider-Man (Marvel Collectible Classics Spidey 1) earlier and noticed just now that it has been bid up to $430. (shrug)

I mean, it looks like a 6.0 at best! Checking to see who bid on it, and it is mostly one person with 0 feedback and another with 2 feedbacks.  :censored:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Amazing-Spiderman-300-RARE-Chromium-Edition-LOOK-HOT-/232327836530?hash=item3617d17372:g:XacAAOSw42JZEJGh 

I wish there was a way to be 100% sure, but I don't think there is. It happened to me before & I just asked the seller to cancel . If it looks suspect, it may be a shill or it may be legitimate. From what I understand, this is a popular way of bidding...I still haven't figured out why.

Don't use auto bid. The suspect shill also risks losing the sale for the seller or his selling account. If the winner was a shill you'd see it relisted. That's the only tell. I've thought this through. Another way is to see pattern bidding from the same accounts on PayPal/ebay end though doubtful anyone would have the energy to pursue this type of claim. There's nothing preventing a friend or family members account facilitating this.

Honestly, that books seen better days.  

Edited by StarryNight