• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Signs of pressing

74 posts in this topic

27 minutes ago, Bontchimuz said:

Am I the only one that doesnt care if a book is pressed? Back in the day we pressed books by putting pounds of hardcover books on top of them lol.

You can't just say "pressing". Pressing has many forms, from a full book press to using a tacking iron on a corner to take out a non-color breaking crease. The issue with the Avengers 1 is that the spine apparently has structural damage which pressing in any form cannot impact. That book still has the structural damage on the spine but is rewarded with a higher grade because that damage is either hidden or relegated to the back cover, which CGC may see as being less important to the grade. Most distasteful.

On 2017-05-28 at 9:49 AM, Quicksilver Signs said:

Not trying to turn it into a debate just saying the 2 examples of the Avengers 1 and JIM book are frowned upon as bad pressings but both were assessed  favourably by the agreed upon experts at CGC

If the Avengers 1 is the Wilson (which I'm certain it is) CGC actually issued a press release denouncing the practice, and called it an example of bad pressing themselves.

3 hours ago, Bontchimuz said:

Am I the only one that doesnt care if a book is pressed? Back in the day we pressed books by putting pounds of hardcover books on top of them lol.

But do you care if the book has been poorly pressed ? That is the point here. I don't think anyone cares if a book has been pressed anymore. In fact, most books for sale have been pressed.

On 6/5/2017 at 5:21 PM, Bomber-Bob said:

But do you care if the book has been poorly pressed ? That is the point here. I don't think anyone cares if a book has been pressed anymore. In fact, most books for sale have been pressed.

Ok, yes I do but I guess I have been lucky in that I have purchased countless books online with average photos on many and never seen a bad press. I have however seen a book come in at say an 8.0 when I thought I was buying a 9.4 lol

On 6/5/2017 at 5:21 PM, Bomber-Bob said:

Most books for sale have been pressed?  I think you mean 'most slabbed keys and high grade have been pressed'.

And, for the record, this collector cares enough to have quit collecting high grade Silver Age comics and have liquidated his entire slabbed SA collection.

Edited by namisgr

It remains unsettled whether the bad pressing jobs illustrated by many examples from the Cole Schave collection are the result of the cover paper shrinking or the interior pages expanding.  While the former seems more plausible to me, I've heard that an experienced collector who presses books believes that interior paper expansion may be a possible cause.  Regardless of the mechanics behind this type of bad pressing, the shame is that the practice is so often rewarded by an increase in numerical grade, despite the books looking far worse after having been over-exuberantly pressed.  If I were a cynical man, I might venture that the pressing-related defects introduced by the in-house pressing service get treated more generously during the grading process than those introduced by an outside pressing service.  The generosity shown to the many bad press jobs done to Cole Schave's former books is not inconsistent with this view, nor were the grades given to the White Mountain books with runny pen arrival dates.

Other signs of probable pressing include changes around the staples.  In some cases, the staple holes in the cover become fuzzy or, worse yet, slightly torn, from the cover paper slightly pulling away from the staples during the application of pressure.  In other cases, a 'maverick' staple that is slightly indented before a press can become markedly indented after.

Same book in both scans.  Before being pressed:

FF36staplebefore.jpg

After:

FF36stapleafter.jpg

Edited by namisgr

1 hour ago, namisgr said:

The generosity shown to the many bad press jobs done to Cole Schave's former books is not inconsistent with this view, nor were the grades given to the White Mountain books with runny pen arrival dates.

Agreeing with everything you said, the 'runny ink' is the most outrageous, totally obvious sign of bad pressing that CGC seems to ignore. I understand the argument that you can't always tell if a staple indention or fanned right edge was the result of a bad pressing or part of the bindery process. But smeared ink ? Not natural, not bindery, CGC please wake up and call it as you see it. Smeared ink should be a major flaw and deducted as such.

On ‎6‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 6:38 PM, Bomber-Bob said:

On the topic of smeared inks, Before and After pressing, Winnipeg copies of GL 7, guess the grades........

imageproxy.jpeg

imageproxy (1).jpeg

Ouch, that's really an unfortunate eye sore doh!  My guess would be 9.0 to a 9.4 after the runny/smeared pressing

On ‎6‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 4:36 PM, namisgr said:

It remains unsettled whether the bad pressing jobs illustrated by many examples from the Cole Schave collection are the result of the cover paper shrinking or the interior pages expanding.  While the former seems more plausible to me, I've heard that an experienced collector who presses books believes that interior paper expansion may be a possible cause.  Regardless of the mechanics behind this type of bad pressing, the shame is that the practice is so often rewarded by an increase in numerical grade, despite the books looking far worse after having been over-exuberantly pressed.  If I were a cynical man, I might venture that the pressing-related defects introduced by the in-house pressing service get treated more generously during the grading process than those introduced by an outside pressing service.  The generosity shown to the many bad press jobs done to Cole Schave's former books is not inconsistent with this view, nor were the grades given to the White Mountain books with runny pen arrival dates.

Other signs of probable pressing include changes around the staples.  In some cases, the staple holes in the cover become fuzzy or, worse yet, slightly torn, from the cover paper slightly pulling away from the staples during the application of pressure.  In other cases, a 'maverick' staple that is slightly indented before a press can become markedly indented after.

Same book in both scans.  Before being pressed:

FF36staplebefore.jpg

After:

FF36stapleafter.jpg

Great example namisgr (thumbsu

Edited by mosconi

On 6/5/2017 at 4:21 PM, Bomber-Bob said:

I know many Collector's who prefer unpressed books, more so older collectors but they're out there. What percentage of books have been pressed? Most likely not even 5%

Slabbed books, much higher 

14 minutes ago, Quicksilver Signs said:

I know many Collector's who prefer unpressed books, more so older collectors but they're out there. What percentage of books have been pressed? Most likely not even 5%

Slabbed books, much higher 

Absolutely, I am an older collector and I definitely prefer unpressed books but you can't always get what you want. Finding any unpressed keys, especially slabbed, is a real challenge.