• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Black Diamond Western #24 wanted for $5 in 1953

21 posts in this topic

Was looking through Daredevil #106 and ran across this ad. Then I noticed it was the same address as the address in the indicia. Wonder what the deal was with this issue and why someone there or the publisher wanted this two year old issue so badly. Five bucks is quite a bit for a two year old comic in 1953. Strange.

001.JPG

Edited by catman76

Possibilities -- Issue tells the origin of the Black Diamond; Wolverton art; cool cover of woman abducted by Indian.

In '53, my guess is it's probably a dedicated fan wanting the origin. Today, I would think the cool Biro cover would be the main driver, with Wolverton innards backing it up. In fact, I now want one after seeing the cover. 

Thanks for expanding my want list! :ohnoez:

5 hours ago, Readcomix said:

Possibilities -- Issue tells the origin of the Black Diamond; Wolverton art; cool cover of woman abducted by Indian.

In '53, my guess is it's probably a dedicated fan wanting the origin. Today, I would think the cool Biro cover would be the main driver, with Wolverton innards backing it up. In fact, I now want one after seeing the cover. 

Thanks for expanding my want list! :ohnoez:

Back then...I would doubt it.  I'd bet that it would be that someone went looking in the company "library"/file/"archive"and discovered that that particular issue was missing...

27 minutes ago, pemart1966 said:

Back then...I would doubt it.  I'd bet that it would be that someone went looking in the company "library"/file/"archive"and discovered that that particular issue was missing...

Same address as Gleason Publications, so you are probably right. So what ever happened to the Gleason file copies?

1 hour ago, rjpb said:

Same address as Gleason Publications, so you are probably right. So what ever happened to the Gleason file copies?

I saw a bunch of high grade Daredevil 1s and Silver Streak 6s at Robert Bells. I don't remember where he said he got them. (shrug)

2 hours ago, pemart1966 said:

Guess you're right...did not think to check buyer address!

21 minutes ago, Readcomix said:

If so, they are buried in Brooklyn or Northampton, Mass now anyway.

I think he eventually sold most or all of them (I wish I had bought every single one of them). So they are in some very happy collectors' collections, most likely.

23 minutes ago, Readcomix said:

If so, they are buried in Brooklyn or Northampton, Mass now anyway.

And I knew him to be from Hauppauge, NY, then here in South Florida. No MA or Brooklyn connection that I knew of. I'm from Brooklyn, so I'd remember that :)

34 minutes ago, circumstances said:

And I knew him to be from Hauppauge, NY, then here in South Florida. No MA or Brooklyn connection that I knew of. I'm from Brooklyn, so I'd remember that :)

I was kidding because Dolgoff (then Brooklyn, now Mass) and the Koch brothers (still Brooklyn) eventually bought Bell's collection.

3 minutes ago, circumstances said:

Ahhh. Makes sense. Ran into Dolgoff at Bell's place. No Kochs though, lol.

I guess they split it. Stories get handed down by older upstate NY dealers who moved from Brooklyn. One of the guys told me about them opening distributor cases (boxes of 300 copies of one book that went to local distributors to break down and make into those wire and newspaper bundles) of various Silver Age Marvels at some con back in the 80's. Bell must have had some huge hoard.

25 minutes ago, Readcomix said:

I was kidding because Dolgoff (then Brooklyn, now Mass) and the Koch brothers (still Brooklyn) eventually bought Bell's collection.

Here's an excellent interview with Robert Bell.  The only mention of the sale was to Gary Dolgoff - no mention of the Kochs.

http://pristine.webspaceforme.net/Facebook/robertbell/robertbell.html

6 minutes ago, pemart1966 said:

Here's an excellent interview with Robert Bell.  The only mention of the sale was to Gary Dolgoff - no mention of the Kochs.

http://pristine.webspaceforme.net/Facebook/robertbell/robertbell.html

Cool, thx! I suppose the apocrypha could be wrong, or they bought from Dolgoff, or somesuch. Makes good stories.