• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Insurance for my Comic Collection
2 2

27 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, silverweb said:

Marc, What insurance company has that condition? And if I keep stuff on the second floor of my house?

That's my collect insure dealer's insurance. Second floor is fine.

It's called a stillage, I believe. If in a basement, has to be on shelves, essentially. Which totally makes sense and is good practice.

I think you need to remember that most insurance companies goals are profits and keeping their agents in greens fees.  You really have to figure out whether it is worth it or not for your personal case. 

You can often just limit your exposure to bad things happening and be way ahead of the game.

I remember when my dad died and he had a separate insurance rider on about 15 K in guns, which to me was lunacy.  They were spread out all over the house, cars, shed, etc.  No thief would have found them all, and I'm not sure we did either.  We found about 3-4 additional ones that weren't on the insurance. 

They would be difficult to sell to any dealer, as he had the serial numbers on all of them.  Plus, why on earth would you pay hundreds per year to insure 15 K? 

3 hours ago, lizards2 said:

I think you need to remember that most insurance companies goals are profits and keeping their agents in greens fees.  You really have to figure out whether it is worth it or not for your personal case. 

You can often just limit your exposure to bad things happening and be way ahead of the game.

I remember when my dad died and he had a separate insurance rider on about 15 K in guns, which to me was lunacy.  They were spread out all over the house, cars, shed, etc.  No thief would have found them all, and I'm not sure we did either.  We found about 3-4 additional ones that weren't on the insurance. 

They would be difficult to sell to any dealer, as he had the serial numbers on all of them.  Plus, why on earth would you pay hundreds per year to insure 15 K? 

Would it be hundreds?  I've heard of people paying 50 Basis points of insured valued on their comics, so $75 a year in this case...

But I think you bring up a good point, if you were to liquidate a comic collection as a bulk sale, you'd probably only get 50% of the value, more or less on what you have....so do you need to insure the full amount in the event a disaster strikes and everything is wiped-out at once?

Edited by spreads

Just now, spreads said:
3 hours ago, lizards2 said:

Would it be hundreds?  I've heard of people paying 50 Basis points of insured valued on their comics, so $75 a year in this case...

I have no clue.  I limit my exposure by where I keep things, and then keep Smith & Wesson and Rottweilers on hand if necessary.

Giving CPR to this resurrected thread -

Is there a threshold where a collector policy should be a dealer policy with CIS? 

Does the dealer policy have coverage that a collector policy does not?

Edited by awakeintheashes