• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Trivia Question: 1st Super Powered Comic Character?

8 posts in this topic

Trivia Question: 1st Super Powered Comic Character?

I recently bought a scrapbook with some old Sunday comics from 1902.

While researching the comics on Wiki one of them was listed as possibly having the 1st example of a "Super Power" in a comic character.

Can you guess it?  Does anyone know of an older comic where the character exhibits a "superpower".

Spoiler

Billy Bounce.  He is elastic and uses his bouncing ability to virtually fly around the world.  Here his bounce power prevents an attack by a lion. 

Spoiler

P1130103.JPG

Spoiler

P1130104.JPG

Spoiler

P1130105.JPG

Spoiler

P1130106.JPG

Edited by gadzukes

On 6/2/2017 at 5:45 PM, OtherEric said:

Billy Bounce was created by W. W. Denslow, best known for having illustrated the original edition of The Wizard of Oz.

I picked this up 2-3 months ago:

Billy_Bounce_1906.jpg

I used to have that book.  The color plates inside are amazing.

I've always loved Denslow's "seahorse" signature.  I wonder if that's what inspired Walt Simonson to do his Dinosaur sig

1 hour ago, gadzukes said:

I used to have that book.  The color plates inside are amazing.

I've always loved Denslow's "seahorse" signature.  I wonder if that's what inspired Walt Simonson to do his Dinosaur sig

Luckily my copy has a full set of plates.  I actually prefer Neill's version of Oz to Denslow, but I have to admit Denslow's color plates are amazing... they have a very nice way of highlighting only certain objects with black borders that is very striking.