• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Closed Thanks

18 posts in this topic

At a glance, no alarm bells go off. If the seller is "legit", he probably won't mind if you share his name. That's a big first step on knowing if the piece is a real Kirby.

If it were mine, though, I'd contact Evanier directly and ask him.

1 hour ago, Unca Ben said:

Can you see any pencils peeking out from underneath the inks?

Not at home right now, but from what I remember I don't remember seen by any pencil marks.

Just based on the photo I would say it is legit. It looks like like commissioned piece or character design. It maybe a piece from that infamous ARGO thing they did a movie about if the date is right. You may have to have an expert look at it closely to see if it is "live ink".

I haven't seen this image before.  The pose and composition look like Kirby.  That he'd draw, as a commission, a figure standing 1/4 profile, is really weird.  But not impossible.

You can't reall tell from this photograph whether this was lightboxed (traced) or not.  You'll need to shine a bright light on this and get your nose about six inches away from the glass to look for pencil marks.  It's really hard to erase all of Kirby's pencil marks (though Royer often managed it).  Adkins did lightbox some things; other things, he didn't. 

As other people have said, it's also odd that there's no signature on it.  There's a ton of stuff Kirby didn't sign, but he usually managed to do so with commissions. 

But that pose is truly odd. It almost seems like something from a panel that was blown up, which would throw a little weight on the possibility of it being lightboxed.  I dunno -- look hard for pencils and let us know what you find.  (If you bought it framed, there's a small chance something written on the back might clear this up.) 

12 minutes ago, glendgold said:

Hey!  It's lightboxed from Thor 174 p. 5.

IMG_3216.JPG

Really impressed by your detective work. Well done!

Bad news for the OP, though. Maybe that seller wasn't so legit, after all. 

37 minutes ago, Hal Turner said:

Really impressed by your detective work. Well done!

Bad news for the OP, though. Maybe that seller wasn't so legit, after all. 

Thanks that clears things up and that would mean Kirby lightboxed? Or Adkins? Oh and the seller is legit might of been something that passed by him or he forgot...

Edited by harvdoss

12 minutes ago, harvdoss said:

Thanks that clears things up and that would mean Kirby lightboxed? Or Adkins? Oh and the seller is legit might of been something that passed by him or he forgot...

Your seller told you a mighty specific story -- Evanier, pencil piece, etc -- at least part of which doesn't seem to line up. So maybe see if there was something lost in the translation, because I don't think sending off a request to Kirby for a pencil piece is a situation you forget.

Kirby didn't lightbox. It would be Adkins -- if it is Adkins.  It does look like Adkins, but he would have been aping Everett's style, so it's going to be tough to make a positive attribution without a signature.

Edited by glendgold

On 6/3/2017 at 1:01 PM, harvdoss said:

yeah, its also 42 years ago, at a time when the item wasn't valuable enough for the details to matter that much.   I'd cut him a ton of slack.    Probably just remembers some key piece of the story incorrectly.     Doubt Kirby was involved but the seller may have honestly believed him to be, for example, based on the fact that the initial contact was through evanier.

Edited by Bronty