• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Getting "Covers Only" slabbed

26 posts in this topic

I bought a bunch of gorgeous covers a couple years ago from a collector who would remove the covers of his comics and laminate them (ugh!).

I sent a query into CGC, but I figured you guys might know too.

Can I get the cover slabbed if it's been laminated (and no, the laminate won't come off).

I'm thinking of selling them and I think they'll sell better if they're slabbed.

Here's one of them, the quality and color is amazing. If it didn't have the bindery holes in the cover, I'd say it presents like a 9.0.

P1130135.JPG

P1130136.JPG

Edited by gadzukes

I picked up a few of these laminated covers too I assume from the same seller. I just slipped them in my gerber where that issue shows up.  I don't think cgc will grade laminated covers not sure where I heard that though.

Not sure if you can slab them with the laminate. Also, covers only do not get grades, so it doesn't really matter what grades people think they look like. I guess if they're complete and decent looking, there may be a market. Captain Marvel hasn't been holding much popularity in the collecting marketplace in my opinion.

1 hour ago, Philflound said:

Not sure if you can slab them with the laminate. Also, covers only do not get grades, so it doesn't really matter what grades people think they look like. I guess if they're complete and decent looking, there may be a market. Captain Marvel hasn't been holding much popularity in the collecting marketplace in my opinion.

I know they don't get "grades" but I think it might sell better if it's in the slab.  I won 7 of the laminated covers and they are in really great shape.  The colors are amazing.

10 hours ago, gadzukes said:

CGC got back to me.  This is what they said:

"It would get a “CVR” authentication instead of a grade, and it would get a “Laminated” notation on the label."

I would slab it for resale purpose

At a certain price point it can make sense to slab covers and loose pages for resale just for confirmation of authenticity, but my feeling is that if the value is only a few hundred dollars or less, it's unlikely the cost and effort is worth it. These laminated covers are even trickier, as they have limited use as parts, and are more of a novelty item, better for display, and does encapsulating them improve their display value?

unless its a mega key i cant imagine there being much any value.  with the laminate on there its essentially just a poster.  it will appeal to a few im sure but you would be wasting $ slabbing them.

If anyone is still wondering how CGC will handle Laminated covers...... I just got this one back.

I'm glad I sent it in.  In hand, the lamination made it feel weird to me, but now that it's slabbed it seems more legitimate to me.

If I choose to sell it I think I will easily make up the $24 (plus shipping) it cost me to slab it.

P1130800.JPG

P1130801.JPG

13 hours ago, gadzukes said:

If anyone is still wondering how CGC will handle Laminated covers...... I just got this one back.

I'm glad I sent it in.  In hand, the lamination made it feel weird to me, but now that it's slabbed it seems more legitimate to me.

If I choose to sell it I think I will easily make up the $24 (plus shipping) it cost me to slab it.

P1130800.JPG

P1130801.JPG

It looks great!

But how the heck is laminated universal?