• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sleuth help for back covers

5 posts in this topic

Sleuth help for back covers

Have any of you OCD GA collectors ever catalogued the tiny differences in GA back covers?

I've had these 2 for a while but I can't identify what they are.  The one on the left came out the either Jan or Feb of 1949 and has the same back cover as many DC titles of those months (like Flash Comics 103), but the address number on this is 1529 which doesn't match.  Anyone know what this is?

The cover on the right is early 40s I think, but again I just can't pin it down.

P1130159.JPG

P1130160.JPG

P1130161.JPG

Edited by gadzukes

The back cover on the left is from a DC comic with a cover date of Feb 1949. From the Heritage scan archive, I was able to determine the following books have the same Daisy Rifle ad but with different addresses.

Detective 144, Adventure 137, All-Star 45 & Star Spangled 89 have the address 1529.

Sensation 85, Worlds Finest 38 & Wonder Woman 33 have the address 1619.

Batman 51 & Flash 104 have the address 1629.

You will have to check the back covers for the other DC books that came out for that month. If you can see a colored piece of the front cover on the detached spine, you can narrow the identity of the back cover.

I will check the back cover on the right later.

Edited by jpepx78

1 hour ago, jpepx78 said:

The back cover on the left is from a DC comic with a cover date of Feb 1949. From the Heritage scan archive, I was able to determine the following books have the same Daisy Rifle ad but with different addresses.

Detective 144, Adventure 137, All-Star 45 & Star Spangled 89 have the address 1529.

Sensation 85, Worlds Finest 38 & Wonder Woman 33 have the address 1619.

Batman 51 & Flash 104 have the address 1629.

You will have to check the back covers for the other DC books that came out for that month. If you can see a colored piece of the front cover on the detached spine, you can narrow the identity of the back cover.

I will check the back cover on the right later.

How do you know for sure it's a DC comic?

4 hours ago, gadzukes said:

How do you know for sure it's a DC comic?

I looked for available back cover scans from that month since Daisy rifles are also advertised in other publishers.

I checked some of the western titles but a few had different Daisy ads. The use of different addresses or post office box numbers for the same ad is a marketing research tool to help determine the source of customer interest in their product. If Daisy finds that they get more response to ads from Detective as compared to Worlds Finest, then they could focus ads on certain titles. Since they had at least 3 different addresses for DC comics that month, they could get a good idea of where their DC-reading customers are from the readership response. In my opinion because Daisy is already using the 1529 address in a DC comic, I find it unlikely that they would use the same address for another publisher since that would not give any useful marketing information.

Edited by jpepx78