• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Chicago area stores

10 posts in this topic

I know there are quite a few board members from the Chicago area, anyone have any comments on good (or bad) stores downtown or in the burbs? I am looking mostly for nice back issue selections.

As for me, I don't frequent any stores, but I can say a word about the following...

1. Graham Crackers: I have been to at least 4 of their locations, and the Naperville store is their best. It is huge and has good back issue depth. Try and hit the summer sale for a nice discount on their usually pricey stock.

2. Comic Galore (Western Springs): This is right near my house, so I sometimes go there for new stuff and supplies. For a small store, they have a tremendous back issue stock (50,000+ at least). Unfortunately, the comics aren't boarded, so most are trashed. I have had decent luck fishing out rare indies and 90s small press stuff though.

3. Chicago Comics: I have only been in this store once, so I am eager to hear what others think. All I can remember is that I thought their back issues were priced to the moon.

popcorn.gif

Last time I went, I checked out the Master List and ended up going to:

Acme Comics

115 W. North St., Normal, IL, 61761

and

Atlas Comics, Inc

4735 N. Cumberland Ave., Norridge, IL, 60706

and

Keith's Komix, Inc.: Date info last verified: 04/19/02

528 S. Roselle Rd., Schaumburg, IL, 60193

All had varying degrees of back issues and I found something at every shop.

Unicorn Comics in Villa Park was suggested to me, too, but I didn't make it there.

Thanks,

Fan4Fan

3. Chicago Comics: I have only been in this store once, so I am eager to hear what others think. All I can remember is that I thought their back issues were priced to the moon.

...these guys will work with you,...I lived around the corner from them for a couple a years,...real friendly and always willing to work on prices for their higher priced stuff,.... thumbsup2.gif

...these guys will work with you,...I lived around the corner from them for a couple a years,...real friendly and always willing to work on prices for their higher priced stuff,.... thumbsup2.gif

Nice. They did have a good selection, I will have to give them another shot. thumbsup2.gif BTW, your money went out today.

10th Planet in Oak Lawn thumbsup2.gif

Jesus, you HAD to mention them, didn't ya. They STILL haven't finished going through the big collection they picked up 1 1/2 years ago! There is one girl there who is very helpful though thumbsup2.gif.

As for Unicorn, Terry is a nice guy, but tends to get distracted easily. They carry a wide variety of books, but the store is small and there is hardly any room to move around confused-smiley-013.gif.

Graham Crackers has always been good for picking up back issues on the cheap that suddenly turn "hot" thumbsup2.gif.

There are 2-3 stores that I hit on a semi-regualr basis, and 1 I would just LOVE to buyout, but some secrets ya just gotta keep shy.gif

All in all, I visit about 10-12 stores in the area around 2-3 times a year; gotta let them catch up on obtaining new back issues 893crossfingers-thumb.gif.

K

10th Planet in Oak Lawn thumbsup2.gif

Jesus, you HAD to mention them, didn't ya. They STILL haven't finished going through the big collection they picked up 1 1/2 years ago! There is one girl there who is very helpful though thumbsup2.gif.

She always makes fun of me.

I haven't bought a back issue in a comic book shop since Moondog's, Larry's and Comic Kingdom closed. makepoint.gif

Eric at Chicago Comics is cool and will work with you.

Keith from Keith's Komics is a great guy (one of my old store managers...) and sometimes has some great back issues.

John at Atlas may find a collection every so often.

Rich from Collector's Bookstore is a surly curmudgeon, but sometimes has good stuff.