• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rae BRONZE AGE books:

16 posts in this topic

Okay someone already asked what the most over circulated books are-now what about the hardest to find? I am a true Marvel BRONZE age horror fan and can honestly say some of these books are RARE! Don't even get me started on DC horror books! Any way-what books do you guys think are the most RARE? Most undervalued? Most likely to keep going up in value?

Don't you all wish I could spell? That is supposed to say RARE! Sorry about that....

You can edit your subject line, you know. poke2.gif

As for your question, I don't think many Marvel bronze age books are hard to find. Spidey 104 is supposed to be hard to find in high grade because of the black cover. Amazing Adventure #11 is almost impossible to find without the big printer roller scuff near the top staple. Avengers #93 is tough to find because it's a squarebound and because it's in very high demand. That's all I can think of off the top of my head though.

Outside of the 35 cent variant editions of some horror reprints and western reprints,I don't think any bronze age comics can be considered scarce.Only other Marvel product I can think of that is pretty tough would be the Hard Cover editions of the Origins series and the like.

As to what will go up in value- I'm looking to Hollywood.If a MOKF movie is made,guess which books will go up. Same with Luke Cage,ect,ect.

I have an opinion relating to certain grades for you.

Without a doubt I would say that one of the major contenders would be any CGC 9.8 copy of What if #1

It appears that you can pick up a 9.6 copy for a great price but just try to obtain a CGC 9.8 copy and be prepared to empty that bank balance. (If you can find one). Christo_pull_hair.gif

I have never personally seen a copy come up for public sale. GPAnalysis shows 1 copy a few years back that went for an extremely cheap price. (must have caught us all sleeping) foreheadslap.gif

The rarest Marvel Bronze Age books are the kiddie titles like Petey, Chili, Dynomutt, Lil Pals, Lil Kids, etc.,. These are way harder to find than the Marvel horror titles, which are simply everywhere.

Some of the really tough titles are slipping my mind right now - greggy or hogations would know!! frustrated.gif

Almost every time I pick up a lot it has Marvel bronze horror in it. Though of them all, Dead of Night seems to be tough for some reason. I just don't see a lot of those. As for the kiddie books, try a run of Harvey in decent grade.

What about Marvel Two in One #1?? Is this a hard issue to fing in high grade? Thoughts? Opinions?

Higher then 9.6? Yea, hard to find. 9.2-9.6 not hard.

The rarest Marvel Bronze Age books are the kiddie titles like Petey, Chili, Dynomutt, Lil Pals, Lil Kids, etc.,. These are way harder to find than the Marvel horror titles, which are simply everywhere.

drbanner is on the right track. I have a copy of Dennis the Menace and the Bible Kids #10. ComicBookGuy (Joe) has the only other #10 that the two of us can verify currently exist. FlyingDonut remembered seeing one at one time with a spine-split halfway through it. Hearing him say that, I went to consult my copy, and sure enough it has a spine-split, and I got my copy off of the rack when I was a kid and only read it twice(must be a printing problem). So there were 3 of these issue floating around at one time, now 2 for sure.

I realize this thread may have been intended for Bronze Horror, but if the question is Bronze in General ....... (well that's my opinion)

I would tend to go down the path Mica has started here. If we are talking ALL bronze books, not just Marvel and DC (which have been addressed in other threads), and not just in high grade, but in ANY condition, the following can shed some light. The following letter is an email Overstreet Advisor Doug Supila sent me regarding Dennis the Menace and the Bible Kids #10 when we were researching its rarity over in the Dennis the Menace thread in the silver forums. I think the letter speaks for itself, and I did ask Doug's permission at the time to post his letter on the boards so it's not taken out of context...

Hi Joe,

Nice to hear from you again.

I have now seen only 2 Dennis the Menace and the Bible Kids series issue #10's appear on eBay in the last 2-6 years & i bid on them both.

But as they were both low grade & ended in the near $100 range, i had to stop bidding.

I have been asked at least 200 each times for #7-10, and i have never yet had a #10 in stock.

#10 remains one of the rarest Bronze Age comics of them all, perhaps as rare as Super Goof #61 (the rarest Whitman from 1980);

Realistically i think #7-9 should guide at $60.00 each and #10 should guide at $150. [but be worth more than that]

If a #10 in strict CGC NM, 9.4 copy ever hit eBay, i estimate it would bring around $1000.00.

>>> IF i had VF copies in stock, i would charge #7-9(VF $75 each), #10(VF $200) and would say that is reasonable given the scarcity.

Thanks & have a great week!

DOUG