• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Marvel Comics Captain America Timeline
1 1

6 posts in this topic

A few decades ago, Marvel retconned the Captain America timeline to explain how Steve Rogers was in suspended animation yet there was still a Captain America running around in the 1950's.  My question is, have they isolated the retcon down to specific books.  Which Captain America Comics is considered the LAST Steve Rogers before Naslund 'takes over.'  Also which Golden Age Captain America Comics are attributed to each hero? 

This is what I could find on the internet:

Captain America I (1941), Isaiah Bradley
Bradley was a test subject of the Super-Soldier Project. Participated in one mission against Germany, then spent 1942-1960 in prison. While incarcerated, Bradley’s mind degenerated to a childlike state due to flaws in the early version of the super-soldier serum he received. Still alive, though he has the mind of a five-year old.*

Captain America II (1941-45), Steve Rogers 
The main Captain America. The biggest hero of his era. Rogers was a scrawny 4-F turned into the apex of human ability through the Super-Soldier Project. Thought killed in ’45 on a mission. Actually frozen in an Arctic ice floe and trapped in suspended animation until the modern era.

Captain America III (1945-46), William Naslund 
A minor hero (“The Spirit of ‘76”) who dropped his old gig to take up the shield of the lost Captain America. Killed in ’46 by a robot.

Captain America IV (1946-49), Jeff Mace 
Another mostly forgotten hero (“The Patriot”) who dropped his old gig to take up the shield after Naslund died. Retired in ’49, died of cancer as an old man.

Captain America V (1953-54), “Steve Rogers,” 
A schoolteacher and wannabe superhero who rediscovered the Super Soldier Serum and made himself into the new Cap. His recreation of the Super Soldier Serum was inexact, and he ended up a paranoid loony who saw “enemies of America” everywhere. Captured by the FBI and placed into suspended animation. (Released in the modern era to bump heads with the original Cap, dies whilst a-villaining.)

Then there is no Captain America until the original Steve Rogers, reclaims the mantle sometime within the last 10 years... 

I remember reading this post just before watching season 4 of Agents of Shield.  I think it's cool that they took such an obscure character (Jeff Mace) and adapted him to the current TV/Cinematic universe with a few references to his comic appearances. 

I just wanted to post because I would have just assumed that Jeff Mace was an original character if it weren't for this post.  This post gave season 4 an extra little layer to enjoy.  Thanks for sharing.

On 03/07/2017 at 8:35 PM, Buzzetta said:

Which Captain America Comics is considered the LAST Steve Rogers before Naslund 'takes over.'  Also which Golden Age Captain America Comics are attributed to each hero?

According to the Marvel Chronology Project, Nasland was Cap in Captain America Comics #49-59, Mace took over for Captain America Comics #59-73 & Captain America's Weird Tales #74 , and the commie smashing Cap, whose name was later revealed by Ed Brubaker to be William Burnside, featured in Captain America #76-78. Captain America doesn't seem to have featured in Captain America's Weird Tales #75.

http://www.chronologyproject.com/c.php#CAPTAIN_AMERICA_II

Edited by Chaykin Stevens

7 hours ago, Chaykin Stevens said:

According to the Marvel Chronology Project, Nasland was Cap in Captain America Comics #49-59, Mace took over for Captain America Comics #59-73 & Captain America's Weird Tales #74 , and the commie smashing Cap, whose name was later revealed by Ed Brubaker to be William Burnside, featured in Captain America #76-78. Captain America doesn't seem to have featured in Captain America's Weird Tales #75.

http://www.chronologyproject.com/c.php#CAPTAIN_AMERICA_II

Thank you for this !