• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GRADING CONTEST : ROUND 4

229 posts in this topic

Dirty%20Harry.jpg

".....I know what your thinking,......do I guess a little higher,......or do I guess a little lower?"

"...Well seeing as that your going against the most powerfull graders in the whole world,

....and would blow your grading skills CLEAN OFF!! " "....You got to ask yourself one

question,....DO I FEEL LUCKY......... WELL DO YOU PUNK!!! "

"I gotsta know!"

albert_popwell.jpg

Dirty%20Harry.jpg

".....I know what your thinking,......do I guess a little higher,......or do I guess a little lower?"

"...Well seeing as that your going against the most powerfull graders in the whole world,

....and would blow your grading skills CLEAN OFF!! " "....You got to ask yourself one

question,....DO I FEEL LUCKY......... WELL DO YOU PUNK!!! "

"I gotsta know!"

albert_popwell.jpg

Stepping Foward, Slowing, Pulling The Slab Out The Scanner, It Is Revealed, As A, 893censored-thumb.gif, 893naughty-thumb.gifNO

CHEATING!!

Ask yourself this, do you check the census when buying a book based on a scan Raw poke2.gif

Umm.. no.. why would I,?... Not sure what your point is. confused-smiley-013.gif

What does that have to do with using the Census as a cross reference before submitting a grade guess on a CGC graded book? In a CGC grading contest?

I am not checking to see what the given scan shown is, compared to what I think it is. I am using the census to see if it even lists a book in the grade I want to submit.

If I were to guess 8.0 on a book... and the census did not list an 8.0 for that paticular book.

Why would I still submit an 8.0 grade guess?.. even if that is what I believed the book to be.

We are not privy to grader notes.. which would tell alot more then the provided scan. We are basically guessing from a scan, what CGC graded a book... (who had it in hand.)

The Census is part of many ways we try and narrow down what a book might NOT be.. rather than what it actually is.

Ze-

Go ahead and check the census for all those that care. For me personally, there is no way that I would check the census for ANY help in this contest. It would take some of the fun out of it. I don't want any help. I don't want to do any research. I just want to give a minute or two to examine the scans and go with it. Nothing wrong with research if you are going to make a purchase, but I just can't understand why anyone would want even a little bit of help from any other source when submitting a grade here. If a CGC graded copy does not exist for the grade I am guessing in this contest, I'll never know. To check may not be "cheating" but it may influence me even a little if I did check, and that takes some of the fun away. I thought that a little fun challenge was all that this was about. And if any ego is tied up into this contest it would be a shame.

Just look at the scans & submit a grade. Is it really that difficult? poke2.gif

Are you asking about me.....or about you? poke2.gif

Go grade my X-MEN 108 & show me your skills. poke2.gif

screwy.gif

BassGman.

That was a pretty barbed post bro..

I thought all this talk about using the census as a tool was just talk.

Some might like to look, others might not. I have serious doubts that anyone is basing their grade on what they see in the census. Or it even helps that much.

Like everyone else here, I pretty much make my grade decision the first time I look at the scan.

I personally would rather look at the census after my decision, and make sure the grade I chose is actually represented in the census, especially if it is an old label. Rather then throw away my grade if my guess is not even possible out of all the submitted books of that title #. And even then I might not even care.. To me it is common sense, you it is a form of cheating.

We obviously differ

Why was this not a big deal in the previous grading contests?.It was talked about all the time.

To hear you basically call the census peekers... the roid users of the grading contest, and while not actually cheating is taking the fun out of the contest is pretty pointed commentary.

And to that say ego's of any form are not involved in a contest involving 74 people is not really correct. Just look at how heated this silly topic has become.

Guess we will just have to stay in seperate corners at the next Con Dinner, and that bums me out. frown.gif

Ze-

They'll have us taking an oath before the next contest. They might do better if they paid less attention to us, and more to their grading. gossip.gif