• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

comics with upper left hand corner cut diagonally?

9 posts in this topic

I noticed some books from late 70's perhaps early 80's where the book is in perfect condition but the top left hand corner of the book is missing.  its a perfectly made cut diagonally taking the corner of the book off.  can anyone explain why this occurred.  Im guessing it may have been old surplus books that were shipped back to marvel and resold at discount and that was their way or marking them but im not sure.  I seen this on several different marvel books but never took notice to this on DC books, perhaps they never did this.  Anyway just hoping someone can tell me exactly what these are.  Also does this affect grade and if so by how much?  lets say the books is perfect otherwise what would the highest grade be that it can get?

8 hours ago, Artboy99 said:

do you mean like this?

f058767fb68276f062a974694cec5fe0.jpg

As you stated, this apparently was there way of marking "remainder copies" without clipping the top 1/3 of the cover as was previously done.

There is a notation about it in the Grading Standards.

2.0 GOOD (GD): 

"The largest piece allowed missing from the front or back cover is usually a 1/2" triangle or a 1/4" square, although some Silver Age books such as 1960s Marvels have had the price corner box clipped from the top left front cover and may be considered Good if they would otherwise have graded higher."

no, not what I mean,  that has the entire box cut off.  these books have maybe an 1/8th of an inch cut diagonally or in a triangle shape just clipping off the upper left hand corner.  I have seen these at numerous shows from different vendors so not like they did it themselves.  I cant find a picture online but I doctored the one posted.  the blue triangle piece I painted is the only thing missing, rest of box in in tact.

caps.JPG

Edited by classicaaron

5 hours ago, marvelmaniac said:

As you stated, this apparently was there way of marking "remainder copies" without clipping the top 1/3 of the cover as was previously done.

There is a notation about it in the Grading Standards.

2.0 GOOD (GD): 

"The largest piece allowed missing from the front or back cover is usually a 1/2" triangle or a 1/4" square, although some Silver Age books such as 1960s Marvels have had the price corner box clipped from the top left front cover and may be considered Good if they would otherwise have graded higher."

I'm always surprised by how many comics I see like this.