• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How Many Ashcan Copies Exist Of Different Books?

226 posts in this topic

I've been wanting to put together an ashcan gallery for a while, so here goes. I have scans of 50 Golden Age ashcans so far, but I know of about 10 more that I can't locate a scan of. Notice that DC used the published artwork for Boy Commandos #1 on no less than 11 ashcans! I guess they really, really liked that cover. If anyone knows of any titles that aren't represented (or especially if you have scans of any more), please let me know. Enjoy! thumbsup2.gif

5CentComics9.jpgActionComics9.jpgActionFunnies.jpgAllAmericanComics7.jpgAllAmericanMenofWar.jpg

AllStarComics7.jpgAnimalAntics.jpgBoyCommandosComics.jpgCancelledComicsCavalcade.jpgCommandos.jpg

CrackComics4.jpgCycloneComics6.jpgFlashComicsDC9.jpgFlashComicsFawcett9.jpgFlashComicsFawcett.jpg

GirlsLoveStories.jpgHeadlineComics.jpgHeresHowie.jpgHouseofMystery.jpgIntimateConfessionscopy2.jpg

LeadingComics.jpgMovieCartoons.jpgMovieFables.jpgMovieGems.jpgMysteriousStranger.jpg

MysteryTrail.jpgNickelComics9.jpgOKComics.jpgOldGloryComics.jpgOurMenatWar.jpg

RadioFunnies.jpgRealFactComics.jpgRealScreenFunnies.jpgRedWhiteBlueComics.jpgScreenCartoons.jpg

ScreenComics.jpgScreenFables.jpgScreenFunnies.jpgScreenGems.jpgSlamBangComics.jpg

Spotlight.jpgStarSpangledWarStories.jpgStrangeAdventures.jpgSuperboy9.jpgSupergirl.jpg

SupermanComics9.jpgSuperwoman.jpgThrillComics8.jpgWonderWoman8.jpgWorldsBestComics.jpg

Edited by JJBEE2001

I've been wanting to put together an ashcan gallery for a while, so here goes. I have scans of 50 Golden Age ashcans so far, but I know of about 10 more that I can't locate a scan of. Notice that DC used the published artwork for Boy Commandos #1 on no less than 11 ashcans! I guess they really, really liked that cover. If anyone knows of any titles that aren't represented (or especially if you have scans of any more), please let me know. Enjoy! thumbsup2.gif

5CentComics9.jpgActionComics9.jpgActionFunnies.jpgAllAmericanComics7.jpgAllAmericanMenofWar.jpg

AllStarComics7.jpgAnimalAntics.jpgBoyCommandosComics.jpgCancelledComicsCavalcade.jpgCommandos.jpg

CrackComics4.jpgCycloneComics6.jpgFlashComicsDC9.jpgFlashComicsFawcett9.jpgFlashComicsFawcett.jpg

GirlsLoveStories.jpgHeadlineComics.jpgHeresHowie.jpgHouseofMystery.jpgIntimateConfessionscopy2.jpg

LeadingComics.jpgMovieCartoons.jpgMovieFables.jpgMovieGems.jpgMysteriousStranger.jpg

MysteryTrail.jpgNickelComics9.jpg>OldGloryComics.jpgOurMenatWar.jpg

RadioFunnies.jpgRealFactComics.jpgRealScreenFunnies.jpgRedWhiteBlueComics.jpgScreenCartoons.jpg

ScreenComics.jpgScreenFables.jpgScreenFunnies.jpgScreenGems.jpgSlamBangComics.jpg

Spotlight.jpgStarSpangledWarStories.jpgStrangeAdventures.jpgSuperboy9.jpgSupergirl.jpg

SupermanComics9.jpgSuperwoman.jpgThrillComics8.jpgWonderWoman8.jpgWorldsBestComics.jpg

Hard to pick one favorite, they all look so cool.

I've also come up with what I believe is an accurate ashcan census. After all, that was the original topic of this thread. Individual books have been discussed, but I haven't seen an all-inclusive list posted before. As with the scans above, if you have any corrections or better info, please let me know.

Ashcan Title and number of known copies

ACTION COMICS 3

ACTION FUNNIES 3

ALL-AMERICAN COMICS 1

ALL-AMERICAN MEN OF WAR 1

ALL STAR COMICS 1

ANIMAL ANTICS 1 complete book + 10 loose covers

BOY COMMANDOS 6 (two versions exist: with & without "#1" on the cover)

CHAMPION COMICS 2

COMMANDOS 2

CRACK COMICS 1

CYCLONE COMICS 1

FEDERAL MEN COMICS 1

5 CENT COMICS 2

FLASH COMICS (DC) 2

FLASH COMICS (FAWCETT) 3 (two versions exist: with & without cover art)

FUNNY FOLKS 1

GIRL'S LOVE STORIES 1

HEADLINE COMICS 2

HERE'S HOWIE 2

HOUSE OF MYSTERY 2

INTIMATE CONFESSIONS 3

LEADING COMICS 1

MOVIE CARTOONS 10 loose covers

MOVIE FABLES 10 loose covers

MOVIE GEMS 10 loose covers

MYSTERIOUS STRANGER 1

MYSTERY TRAIL 1

NICKEL COMICS 2

O.K. COMICS 1

OLD GLORY COMICS 1

ONCE UPON A TIME 1

OUR MEN AT WAR 2

PHANTOM STRANGER 1

RADIO FUNNIES 1

REAL FACT COMICS 10 loose covers

REAL SCREEN FUNNIES 3

RED, WHITE & BLUE COMICS 1

ROCK 'N' ROLL COMICS 1

SCREEN CARTOONS 10 loose covers

SCREEN COMICS 10 loose covers

SCREEN FABLES 10 loose covers

SCREEN FUNNIES 10 loose covers

SCREEN GEMS 10 loose covers

SLAM-BANG COMICS 1

SPOTLIGHT 1

STAR-SPANGLED WAR STORIES 1

STRANGE ADVENTURES 3

SUPERBOY 1

SUPERGIRL 1

SUPERMAN 2

SUPERMAN....SUPERHOMBRE 1

SUPERWOMAN 2

THRILL COMICS 3

WESTERN SERENADE 1

WONDERFUL WORLD FOR BOYS & GIRLS 1

WONDER WOMAN 1

WORLD'S BEST COMICS 2

which ashcans do you have,and real is perception , for example if the interior is from a real book ,and is the right pages and the backcover is a real authentic backcover and frontcover ( the paper that is , is from 1930's) with the right image printed on it , what does that make it,an ashcan maybe? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

ashcan/comics