• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Magik Woo rules the universe
1 1

17 posts in this topic

All I know is that Mr Magik's slabbed ASM #14 is missing the 2 spine ticks from the one (1) other slabbed ASM #14 Cgc 9.8. fyi, I believe a few of his SA DC slabs 9.2 or 9.4 were pushed to a Sept/17 Heritage auction.

54 minutes ago, aardvark88 said:

All I know is that Mr Magik's slabbed ASM #14 is missing the 2 spine ticks from the one (1) other slabbed ASM #14 Cgc 9.8. fyi, I believe a few of his SA DC slabs 9.2 or 9.4 were pushed to a Sept/17 Heritage auction.

Will bid on a few, hope I win... Then will crake a send to CGC so i can get his name off the label..

~T

Aug, 2017 HA.com catalog will be painful for ASM and Centaur collectors. Some choice slabs and OA for sure. Slab that stood out was the White Mountain pedigree of The Adv's of the Big Boy (Mr Lou Fine's fave). :foryou:

NzsxUAU.jpg

On 7/28/2017 at 7:14 PM, NoMan said:

Anybody else got the Heritage August 10-12 auction book?

On 7/29/2017 at 5:47 PM, aardvark88 said:

Aug, 2017 HA.com catalog will be painful for ASM and Centaur collectors. Some choice slabs and OA for sure. Slab that stood out was the White Mountain pedigree of The Adv's of the Big Boy (Mr Lou Fine's fave). :foryou:

NzsxUAU.jpg

I got my copy last Monday, but never really went through it since I couldn't get past the first half dozen pages as those beautiful and HTF early Centaurs are being positioned in a separate section of its own right at the front of the auction.  :luhv:

Finally forced myself to grind through the rest of the catalogue to find this Adventures of the Big Boy book that Allan was talking about.  Of course it had to be right near the end of the entire catalogue.  :censored:  Absolutely no interest to me since its apparently the East Coast version of the Big Boy and I am more of a West Coast kind of guy.  lol

Kudos to Magik for doing that 1-page write-up for the books in his collection, although I really thought it would have been a lot more beneficial to him if he had done this more detailed version for the sale of his AF 15 last summer.  hm

Met and chatted with Migak in local shows. A character he certainly is. Somewhat afoot a bit when it comes to talk about his comics. I get the impression that he think his is better than others. I've seen some of his books. Impressive. 

On 7/31/2017 at 6:27 AM, Fan Boy said:

I get the impression that he think his is better than others. I've seen some of his books. Impressive. 

If you squint at the HA.com pics in the catalog on the same page is Mister Magik's Iron Man #1 slabbed 9.6 that has a deeper color strike (or better preservation?) compared to the Iron Man #1 Cgc 9.8 wht to off-wht pgs next to it. fyi, HA.com is saving Magik's Silver Surfer #4 slabbed 9.8 for the Nov, 2017 Signature auction.

On 8/1/2017 at 7:38 PM, aardvark88 said:
On 7/31/2017 at 6:27 AM, Fan Boy said:

I get the impression that he think his is better than others. I've seen some of his books. Impressive. 

If you squint at the HA.com pics in the catalog on the same page is Mister Magik's Iron Man #1 slabbed 9.6 that has a deeper color strike (or better preservation?) compared to the Iron Man #1 Cgc 9.8 wht to off-wht pgs next to it. fyi, HA.com is saving Magik's Silver Surfer #4 slabbed 9.8 for the Nov, 2017 Signature auction.

Yes indeed, Magik always talks about the preservation of his books and how the depth of the colors for his books are just so much brighter and deeper than other similarly graded copies.

Unfortunately for Magik, I believe that both of the grading companies do not place that high of a value on depth of color and tend to focus more on the other technical defects inherent with a book.  As a result, collectors tend to pay much more attention to the big number on the top left corner of the slab, as opposed to how deep and bright the colors are.  Unless they are fading, of course, which is a non-starter for most collectors.  :frown:

There are some collectors such as Steve C. who does pay attention to this color depth factor, and that is why in almost all cases, the books in their collection will just pop due to the bright and deep colors.  :luhv:

Edited by lou_fine

On ‎2017‎-‎08‎-‎02 at 9:59 AM, lou_fine said:

Magik always talks about the preservation of his books and how the depth of the colors for his books are just so much brighter and deeper than other similarly graded copies.

Unfortunately for Magik, I believe that both of the grading companies do not place that high of a value on depth of color and tend to focus more on the other technical defects inherent with a book.   :frown:

:luhv:

I believe, Mister Magik's ASM #14 slabbed 9.8 at over $60k has toppled the previous record high for lone Cgc 9.8. (thumbsu

14 minutes ago, aardvark88 said:

I believe, Mister Magik's ASM #14 slabbed 9.8 at over $60k has toppled the previous record high for lone Cgc 9.8. (thumbsu

I believe this was to be expected since the other CGC 9.8 copy was auctioned off almost 2 years ago and early Spidey prices have gone up significantly over the past year or so. 

It would have been an absolute and surprising disappointment if this copy was unable to surpass the previous record high for a 9.8 highest graded copy.  hm

Edited by lou_fine

On 8/2/2017 at 9:59 AM, lou_fine said:

Yes indeed, Magik always talks about the preservation of his books and how the depth of the colors for his books are just so much brighter and deeper than other similarly graded copies.

Unfortunately for Magik, I believe that both of the grading companies do not place that high of a value on depth of color and tend to focus more on the other technical defects inherent with a book.  As a result, collectors tend to pay much more attention to the big number on the top left corner of the slab, as opposed to how deep and bright the colors are.  Unless they are fading, of course, which is a non-starter for most collectors.  :frown:

There are some collectors such as Steve C. who does pay attention to this color depth factor, and that is why in almost all cases, the books in their collection will just pop due to the bright and deep colors.  :luhv:

I completely agree. I'll often take a lower graded book because of its fresh app. white back cover and rich colors. Nothing more disappointing to see a high grade pedigree then to hold it in hand to find out its back cover is off-white, very little gloss and the colors are faded.

LB Cole books are a great example where you want to find them with fresh inks so they still have the 3D effect.