• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

DownGraded Comic Question

8 posts in this topic

Hi there.       

I had a few Amazing Spiderman Comics that I submitted and just received today.     These Comics were PGX Graded, but I wanted to have them CGC graded.   The Comic in question was Amazing Spiderman number10.     It was a PGX 6.0 but it came back as only a CGC 4.0.    I've submitted 5 PGX Comics for regrading so far and they all came back exactly the same grade except for one that was down by .5 of a grade, and this one that was went down by 2 grade points.  I realize CGC is stricter with their grading, but this seems like a huge downgrade and I can't understand why?    Thanks ........ Dave

6 hours ago, Keyman07 said:

Hi there.       

I had a few Amazing Spiderman Comics that I submitted and just received today.     These Comics were PGX Graded, but I wanted to have them CGC graded.   The Comic in question was Amazing Spiderman number10.     It was a PGX 6.0 but it came back as only a CGC 4.0.    I've submitted 5 PGX Comics for regrading so far and they all came back exactly the same grade except for one that was down by .5 of a grade, and this one that was went down by 2 grade points.  I realize CGC is stricter with their grading, but this seems like a huge downgrade and I can't understand why?    Thanks ........ Dave

First off, stuff like this happens all the time = not worth getting aggravated about. Second, what do the notes say. Third, specifically what is your question ?

There is no guarantee a book receives the same grade, even if sent back to the same grading party. CGC may grade certain defects harder than PGX (TBH PGX misses a lot of stuff) and that would result in the grade drop. One thing we have all learned over time is that 1=1 is not always true when having a book regraded.  

the market has really been the final arbiter on the grading companies. Reality has said that the prices paid for books graded by CGC seemed to always command a better final price.   Stripping it all away, a consistent grading helped determine the monetizing of the book and eliminated many disagreements as to true grade and relative value. Once it was perceived that CGC was being accepted as the widely accepted judge, based in verified sales , the toothpaste was not going to easily get back into the tube, regardless of what promos might be offered by the competition. 

Now that's not to say that any of the graders can have a bad day, or a varying day. I see books with CGC grades on them that have me scratching my head quite frequently but all in all, CGC is stable in its assessments. I would simply say that  two points  is a lot, but it's also not that much. Better to always buy the book, not the grade. I think I would prefer a harsher grade than to to get into an argument that wound up with the book returned. 

Thanks for the answers everybody.    As a newbie I appreciate it.        At least the book didn't come back as restored.   I don't think I'd want anything in my small but growing collection to be restored.

Wouldn't it be a miracle if a comic came back with a Higher grade?    I have two more PGX graded ASM's I'm going to submit soon we'll see what happens and from now on I'll only buy CGC. Graded books    ...................... Thanks

Higher Grade? Not likely from what I now know.  start following the board for " Buddy can you spare a grade". It's fairly brutal but it will key you in to reality. Follow it closely and you'll learn a ton. .  I had my entire ASM collection downgraded by a pro I really respect today by a full point on every one based on page color. Hard, but real.  I sold every book I had except an AF15  which is consigned. I kept my JIM and Thor for my son. I feel enormously relieved and sad at the same time.  In my mind , it was a lot of books. True for some, not for others. I bought every one off the rack for the most part as a teenager. 

Edited by Glassman10