• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WDC&S Subscription Variants

13 posts in this topic

Two questions:

First, are there any differences in the prices netted for GA WDC&S subscription variants versus the standard editions?  The difference is the back cover.  The subscription variants have a different design that allows space for the subscribers address to be printed on the comic.

Second, before they had subscription variants, WDC&S left space on the back cover for the subscribers address to be printed.  The newsstand copies just had blank space.  Are copies with a subscribers address printed on the back cover worth less?  

As an active WDC&S collector, I don't discriminate between the ones with an address box on the back or not. I have never seen anyone else do it either.

In the 50s, the address box moved onto the front cover - I avoid those because it detracts from the cover art.

13 hours ago, AJD said:

As an active WDC&S collector, I don't discriminate between the ones with an address box on the back or not. I have never seen anyone else do it either.

In the 50s, the address box moved onto the front cover - I avoid those because it detracts from the cover art.

+1 on both points.  The front cover address box ran from roughly issue 146 to 165.  

Edited by pooroldman

8 hours ago, 40YrsCollctngCmcs said:

I've never seen a price differential. I like nice condition subscriber copies as it personalizes the book for me. I'm not a fan of the paste on label addresses though.

Thanks to you and everyone who is taking the time to share your experience.  I really appreciate it.  I take great comfort in your comments about subscriber labels.  What do you think about this book?:

9165219922_2.jpg

8 hours ago, sfcityduck said:

Thanks to you and everyone who is taking the time to share your experience.  I really appreciate it.  I take great comfort in your comments about subscriber labels.  What do you think about this book?:

9165219922_2.jpg

Great copy! Just the type I like to get.

6 hours ago, OtherEric said:

Possibly silly question:  Wouldn't most (if not all) the subscriber copies have a subscription crease?  So you would be much less likely to find them in higher grades.

I've got some real nice subscription copies where the crease is barely discernible; others can be pretty obvious. It doesn't bother me too much as I look for nice looking eye appealling books and don't obsess over minute flaws. Easier on the wallet too!

14 hours ago, OtherEric said:

Possibly silly question:  Wouldn't most (if not all) the subscriber copies have a subscription crease?  So you would be much less likely to find them in higher grades.

I guess it all depends on what you're looking for.  I like subscription copies as readers because they can be found in VG+ to VF- except for the crease.  Once the crease is factored in the price is often very reasonable.  If you're looking for high grade though you're right; not a lot of subscription copies.

6 hours ago, 40YrsCollctngCmcs said:

Here's an example of a nice subscription copy from a group I received from Mr. Bedrock. This one has a color breaking crease on the cover but is in otherwise nice condition. It still has a happy home in my collection!

tn_WDCS122Front.jpg.365ee421ce3a2b3d2c129f38a4a15d6f.jpgtn_WDCS122back.jpg.3c713ba5e58a8f1d664b040bf0000f72.jpg

Great example.  A book that's in terrific shape and a pleasure to read, but not in such a high grade that you're afraid to touch it.

Beautiful book.

21 hours ago, sfcityduck said:

This is the front cover that goes with that back cover.  I'm not seeing a color breaking crease.  Thoughts on grade?

9165219922.jpg

Looks like an easy F-VF and possibly a VF to me. I have a hard time equating that to CGC numbers being old school -- 7.0-8.0 maybe?