• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Grading a book with blank pages

8 posts in this topic

Hi all...

Long time, no post, but I've got a 9-year-old question and not sure where else to find an answer or - really - even a knowledgeable opinion...

I bought the third issue of the Mirage mini-series Michelangelo: The Third Kind back when it came out only to discover that half of the pages were completely blank and the story was incomplete (so it wasn't like extra blank pages were stuck in the middle of the story).  I'd asked here and on ninjaturtles.com but no one seems to have received (or seen) a copy with this error.  Rich suggested that I submit to CGC and see what they had to say which I finally just got around to doing (like 5 years later), but they just graded it a 9.2 Universal with no mention of the blank pages.

Grader's notes did not mention this either:

light scuff back cover
light spine stress lines to cover

So... 

Any opinions as to whether or not this *should* be notated somewhere?

If so, should I try resubmitting and include a note asking specifically about these pages?

Or... I don't know... this is just weird...

Thanks!

Did you try posting this over in the Copper Subforum?    I think it will get more exposure there.   I'm sure there are some other boardies that would know if that was a common occurrence with that particular issue or not.

Thanks y'all...

I got a reply from one of the customer service reps that it was an oversight and should be noted on the label... they offered to print a new label and reholder without charge, so I'll send it back in and see what happens.

Thanks again!

3 hours ago, Schmakt said:

Thanks y'all...

I got a reply from one of the customer service reps that it was an oversight and should be noted on the label... they offered to print a new label and reholder without charge, so I'll send it back in and see what happens.

Thanks again!

Oversight as in they didn't notice it ?

15 hours ago, Bomber-Bob said:

Oversight as in they didn't notice it ?

Right... there was only 1 other copy to have been graded, so they were saying that the grader who counted the pages must have just thought it was how the book was supposed to be.  Which, fair enough... can't expect them to read every book they grade!  Guess it looks a little less striking in a B&W book too.  I know when I first read it I was thought it was part of the story, and I was trying to make sense of why there was a bomb blast that came out of nowhere... until I realized it was happening on every other page...

Regardless, they were very cool about it; now maybe I can stop caring so much about this 9 year old issue that hardly anyone ever even read! :)

3 hours ago, Schmakt said:

Right... there was only 1 other copy to have been graded, so they were saying that the grader who counted the pages must have just thought it was how the book was supposed to be.  Which, fair enough... can't expect them to read every book they grade!  Guess it looks a little less striking in a B&W book too.  I know when I first read it I was thought it was part of the story, and I was trying to make sense of why there was a bomb blast that came out of nowhere... until I realized it was happening on every other page...

Regardless, they were very cool about it; now maybe I can stop caring so much about this 9 year old issue that hardly anyone ever even read! :)

Thanks for the clarification. There was another question, submitted here recently, that asked the broader question of 'how long does it  take CGC to become aware of common bindery flaws'. Naturally, the answer to such a a question is 'it depends', however, after your experience maybe we can say 9 years , lol

Edited by Bomber-Bob

9 hours ago, Bomber-Bob said:

Thanks for the clarification. There was another question, submitted here recently, that asked the broader question of 'how long does it  take CGC to become aware of common bindery flaws'. Naturally, the answer to such a a question is 'it depends', however, after your experience maybe we can say 9 years , lol

yeah... time moves a little slower for me :)