• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Just saw something pretty awesome
2 2

66 posts in this topic

On 8/25/2017 at 11:56 AM, DocHoppus182 said:

Here's the story....

I did a random search on Craigslist last night to see if anyone had posted any comics for sale.  I came across a post that was advertising a garage sale that had some comics.  There were a few boxes pictured.  I decided to stop on my way home from work today because it was relatively close.  I pulled up and there were three kids set up with one table each in their front yard. One had books and movies, the other with toys.  The oldest, which turned out to be the person who posted the ad, was 14.  He was visibly nervous when I walked up and said hello (I'm 6'1 with a giant, foot long beard and tattoos).  I asked him if these were his books, he said yes and I continued to make small talk about comics.  He had a few dollar boxes and a box of "higher priced" books.  We chatted for about 10 minutes and I picked out two Batman books.  After a few minutes, he started telling me he how he liked Superman and Black Terror.  I was a little dumbfounded.  I wasn't expecting Black Terror.  He then proceeded to say that he wanted to sell some books to fund purchases for some early golden age.  We talked about Marvel Mystery and Captain Americas and how they don't come around in our area very often.  I was so shocked that a 14 year old kid had such an appreciation for "older" books, let alone golden age.  He was extremely knowledgeable too!  He was telling me about how Action 23 is the first Luthor, things like that.  He said I'll be right back.  Rushed into the house, came right back out with a coverless Action 20 and an Exciting Comics 12 that was about a 2.0 that had the Comic Connect sticker.  He told me he had recently won them online.  He was so excited to tell me about his golden age.  I paid him the money he wanted for the Batman books, said my goodbyes and started to walk away.  Before I left he asked if I wanted to sell a Marvel Mystery that I had (I showed him a pic of it on my phone).  I said if I do, you'll be the first to know.  

I drove away feeling surprised and refreshed.  It's was really awesome to see someone that young so jazzed about comics.  It didn't matter if it was beat or coverless, he was just happy to have it!  I feel like sometimes I forget why I love comics so much because of the "money" aspect that collecting vintage comics has with it.  The buying, the selling, the profit and in all honesty, sometimes the "cutthroat" aspect of our beloved hobby.  

Sorry for the wall of text, I just figured I'd share because maybe some here would appreciate the story.  Here are the two books I bought:

IMG_1692.JPG

IMG_1691.JPG

Wow!  That kid is my hero!  I wish I heard stuff like this in the news haha.