• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Grade this Marvel Spotlight 5

27 posts in this topic

Per Pimper's request, please grade this book! He does not own it so I can't provide any additional information.

Marvel%20spt%20%231.jpg

marvel%20spt%20%231bk.jpg

If we're talking CGC standards, I don't think this would hit 9.2 because of the stricter standards they apply to bronze. I would say 9.0. Personally, I would think high end 9.0, but not quite 9.2.

For some odd reason, the "black frame" bronze age marvels like MS #5 and MTU #1 tend to be "overgraded" by CGC. I spoke to a few of the graders and they mentioned that many of the flaws on these books are deducted less severely due to production flaws rather than mishandling. Murph should know more about this "overgrading" on the MS #5. I remember him mentioning it in an old thread. This also goes for the MTU #1's that have passed through my hands.

Greg, GET A BETTER SCAN! mad.gif

Greg, GET A BETTER SCAN!

Hey, this was sent by the seller of the book to Supa! I can't do anything about it! Yep, I agree that the seriously off-centered 9.4 copies of this book looks fugly! At least this copy is reasonably well centered! frown.gif

Unfortunately, this isn't the case when it comes to black frame books. As per what Rick has said, bronze 9.4's with the black frame (Luke Cage #1, MTU #1, and MS #5) all tend to be given...the benefit of the doubt, I guess. I've owned a total of 9 CGC 9.4's of Marvel Spotlight #5 now, as well as 5 raw copies. Given that this scan is a bit pixelated so some marks may or may not be there. As long as the spots along the spine above the top staple are non-color breaking or non-existant. This is sadly probably a 9.4, the only thing that causes me to pause would be the top of the spine where it looks like there may be an impact mark at the top bindary corner. If that's the case, it may be a 9.2. Unless there's something else out there that doesn't show up on the scan, I'd say a 9.2 at the very least in CGC terms. But as far as my personal opinion, CGC not withstanding, I'd give it a 8.5 or 9.0 at best

Brian

you guys are smokin crack, that's a NM 9.4

OK, I'm going to snipe it! wink.gif

BTW, who's bright idea to have the friggin' line to seperate our signature and our post? Are the coinees that stupid that they can't distinguish between the two? confused.gif