• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I don't get it . . .

28 posts in this topic

What's the big deal about high grade books that you own, if you didn't get them there in the first place? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

If all you did was acquire them for wads of cash what does this say about you? Seems foolish to me . . . 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I don't always seek out the highest grade books but I do seek out Pedigree'd copies of first issue books. (usually high/ish grade anyway)

My reasons for doing this are as follows;

1. I purchase only books that I like. I will hunt down (often over long peiods) a pedigree'd copy of these books as I believe that owning a pedigree'd copy is like owning an issue that only ever had 1 copy printed. Plus I get the benefit of learning the story's that these pedigreed copies come with regarding their history.

2. The money side of any potential sale means little to me as I plan to pass my pedigree collection down to my children when they reach 30/ish years old.

I would hope that in 30+ years the collection may still be worth at least what I paid for them but in all honesty I have already recieved my payment in the form of looking at the covers. Learning about the Pedigree's history & daydreaming about handing them to my future adult aged children in 30+ years.

So I don't know what spending wads of cash on something that I may never see a $$$ return on says about me. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Maybe its all an optermistic dream but at the moment it will do me just fine. cloud9.gif

Regards,

Aussie Russ.

I bought 90% of my batman's raw, cherry picking the best i could find over 10 years prior to cgc. Most of the ones I sent in came back highgrade, however some did not. It definitely was a lesson in grading. I really admire doug for his ability to have such a nice collection. I think it' all in your perspective about buying. If I was into art, I would buy the the ones I liked and the best ones I could afford.