• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Please grade this Betty and Me #16!
1 1

11 posts in this topic

Love to get some opinions on this one. Extremely flat and glossy copy with sharp corners, feels very fresh overall, but there are some soft creases and dents on closer inspection. (The mark under 'No. 16' appears to be a printing glitch.) Back cover has some dirt marks and soft rumples. Thanks all!

bettyme16.jpg.7dfdf367b2e3ce8e5cc3f3bfb37b57a4.jpg

bettyme16back.jpg.1c19b93babdc26c72097dc8f0431acfc.jpg

13 hours ago, Point Five said:

Thanks guys! I'm right where you are with the grading... borderline 6.0, or 5.5 to be safe.

Beautiful book, a classic. The only thing that kept me from going higher is the discolouration above the comics code stamp. It is very common on Archie books though. 

53 minutes ago, Patriot6 said:

Beautiful book, a classic. The only thing that kept me from going higher is the discolouration above the comics code stamp. It is very common on Archie books though. 

That's interesting. Any insights as to why that would happen on Archies specifically?

(The gloss seems fine in that spot so it doesn't appear to be a stain.)

Just now, Point Five said:

That's interesting. Any insights as to why that would happen on Archies specifically?

(The gloss seems fine in that spot so it doesn't appear to be a stain.)

From what I have seen, this is just me, they come about from water/liquid exposure, from rubbing, and the most common: stickers. Many Archies were resold, but thought to be the pond scum of comics and were never bagged, never boarded, and sold with a sticker directly on the comic.

It is not limited to the red ink covers either since I have seen the same effect on green blue or yellow covers. It must have been the ink they used? Not 100% sure there.

As for your copy, I suspect it had a droplet of water/liquid fall on the cover which was wiped off. Could also be rubbing. 

I don't have my books with or I'd show you multiple examples. 

On September 21, 2017 at 4:09 PM, szavisca said:

The more important question is did that phrase have basically the same meaning at the time this comic came out or did it only become funny years later? Like ... did they know what they were doing when they made it.

Sure they knew what they were doing! If you look at the three fellows that were 'beaten off' they are clearly black and blue with scowl faces. Think beat off with a stick. Had it been the way which many people, including myself, find hilarious, the three fellows would have their hands behind their heads with big smiles on their faces and Archie would probably have blisters on his hands.