• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Detective Comics 27 CGC 2.5 Blue Label going up for auction

63 posts in this topic

8 hours ago, LDarkseid1 said:

I mean yeah, Brittle pages for that Supes 1 is going to play a big role in that comparison.

Absolutely, re the brittle pages.   Although increasingly we find that the word "brittle" can mean anything from a tiny corner that got exposed more over time on a book which is 99% supple and will remain so the rest of our lives, on the one, versus a book that is literally turning to dust.  (not to mention that even the latter can be preserved via leaf casting).   But all that is really another discussion.    I used to think that however badly a person feels about brittle pages, they would feel even worse about missing the pages which contain the very reason the book is valuable in the first place.   I believe incomplete books misssing unimportant pieces have been grossly undervalued in the past, but that doesn't stop me from wondering what's in people's heads when I see high prices on certified slabs which say "classic cover" or :"first appearance" or whatever else makes it valuable, but the slab itself contains not a trace of the things described on the label.   At first I thought it was about people having incomplete copies which they knew they could complete with their new acquisition, but over time it's become obvious that some people are buying them just so they can have a slab with a label which says "first appearance" or whatever even if it's obvious that the slab does not actually contain that.    And that's okay.   But when it starts to look as if there are people who hate brittle pages so much they would rather have nice pages on an incomplete key book that has only the backup stories rather than a book which has the main story but with brittle pages, that feels like priorities are out of balance.

Edited by bluechip

On 9/28/2017 at 11:35 PM, LDarkseid1 said:

I mean yeah, Brittle pages for that Supes 1 is going to play a big role in that comparison.

There's no arguing with that when you are talking about two books which are essentially identical except that one is brittle and the other isn't.

I was talking about some people apparently preferring a supple Detective 27 missing all the Batman pages over a brittle copy with the Batman story intact.

11 hours ago, bluechip said:

There's no arguing with that when you are talking about two books which are essentially identical except that one is brittle and the other isn't.

I was talking about some people apparently preferring a supple Detective 27 missing all the Batman pages over a brittle copy with the Batman story intact.

For sure, in that scenario I know I at least take the brittle complete copy in a second over an incomplete book.