• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ALL HAIL JASON EWERT :P

90 posts in this topic

You know, as I reread this thread, Abrams was basically hinting about his knowledge that Ewert was trimming books back then.

One of the other things to come out of this Ewert thing, at least to me, is reinforcing the maxim that if it's too good to be true, then it probably is. Sitting here and praising dealers we barely know is probably going to blow up in our faces. I can see why a lot of people are really let down after all this -- look at how many people supported Jason in this thread, are now some of the same people who say, Ewert has damaged this hobby!

It's unfortunate to say this, but again, who can you trust in this hobby?

I've bought some books from Jason and have been very Very VERY pleased! He is a great seller that just keeps coming up with awesome books for sale all the time.

bumpit.gif

I bought the books back in 2003. At the time the service was fast. I got the books quickly and the books looked nice to me. I'm now having them sent back to CGC.

I only bought 3 books. Sold one of them(Buyer to be contacted).

Fast forward to now....and I'm really pissed that all this timming [embarrassing lack of self control] has transpired!

I've bought some books from Jason and have been very Very VERY pleased! He is a great seller that just keeps coming up with awesome books for sale all the time.

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I just posted, but i will re-iterate. At the time I bought the books back in 2003, they looked fine to me. Got the books quickly and they looked nice to me.

I can't see the future.

I don't think anyone should fault you for not being clairvoyant on what would happen down the line. What is interesting is that a lot of people ignored what many were saying about Ewert for some time about the pressing -- we just had no idea there was other work being done to the books.

I think it's good to point out that these praiseworthy threads that were started really illuminate that we should both reserved in our praise and criticism otherwise it seems as if we can be publicly burned on it. I don't think this is the last time something like the Ewert situation will occur.

I don't think anyone should fault you for not being clairvoyant on what would happen down the line. What is interesting is that a lot of people ignored what many were saying about Ewert for some time about the pressing -- we just had no idea there was other work being done to the books.

I think it's good to point out that these praiseworthy threads that were started really illuminate that we should both reserved in our praise and criticism otherwise it seems as if we can be publicly burned on it. I don't think this is the last time something like the Ewert situation will occur.

well, give us a little credit. We gave Ewert the benefit of the doubt, without proof staring us in the face, and HE let us down. What kind of people would we have been if we had turned on Jason BEFOREHAND based solely on hearsay and jealousy?

You know, as I reread this thread, Abrams was basically hinting about his knowledge that Ewert was trimming books back then.

One of the other things to come out of this Ewert thing, at least to me, is reinforcing the maxim that if it's too good to be true, then it probably is.

FK;

Yes. although I never really suspected that Jason was specifically involved with trimming, I always made the assumption that his books were pressed. This was based upon the fact that he did not respond to a few of my early queries on some of his books with respect to possible pressing. I did wonder about other stuff being done such as cleaning, but never really focussed on trimming.

Either way, I always bidded with the assumption that work had been done on his high grade books. As a result, my high bids were always at a discount to guide and unfortunately (or fortunately), never even came close to winning anything. Gave up this process after several attempts since it was just a waste of time.

Always surprised me that his books went for such huge multiples since stories about Jason's eagle eyes and ability to pluck out diamonds in the rough were just as believeable as books from Grandpa's attic. To me, his auctions were just screaming out "If it's too good to be true, then it probably is".

Sad how many people didn't follow this simple old maxim. frown.gif

well, give us a little credit. We gave Ewert the benefit of the doubt, without proof staring us in the face, and HE let us down. What kind of people would we have been if we had turned on Jason BEFOREHAND based solely on hearsay and jealousy?

Man, aman, you and I are just totally in sync these days. You're exactly right, and in addition there was the posting of an email from Jason by someone on these boards, plus the report from Dan and Rob that they had asked him pointblank in person whether he pressed and he said no. Of course, many of the folks here maintained a healthily skepticism, particularly those of us opposed to pressing, but it's hard to fault people who continued to buy from him, particularly if they didn't care about pressing and of course they had CGC's blessing that pressing was okay. Anyways, I don't recall a whole lot of praise directed towards Ewert back then anyways, other than Drdonaldblake. There was a lot of criticism and skepticism, and there were defenses of Ewert, but I wouldn't call the defenses praise. I think many of the board members who chose to continue buying from Ewert basically didn't participate in the Ewert threads, undoubtedly treating them as so much white noise, which was probably not unreasonable given CGC's position on pressing.

And the thing to remember is that NO ONE in their most paranoid fantasies, not Wall Street Rebel, not ablue, not JC, not Redhook, definitely not me, ever imagined that he was trimming books.

Stick a fork in me. I'm done.

I did almost 23 hours, with one or two indirect lapses.

"I admitted I was powerless over Ewert posting, and that my board life had become unmanageable."

"I admitted I was powerless over Ewert posting, and that my board life had become unmanageable."

...is that board life or bored life?.....

All right! Does this mean we can talk about the designated hitter now, also? 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

I DONT KNOW I WOULD CALL IT PRAISE FOR EWERT WITH ALL MY ewert threads of the past

it was more a fanboy like apprecaition/marvelling @ how he kept producing incredible uber high grade keys and books with a seemingly endless supply

u guess it helped to keep our eyes open and us wary

I DONT KNOW I WOULD CALL IT PRAISE FOR EWERT WITH ALL MY ewert threads of the past

it was more a fanboy like apprecaition/marvelling @ how he kept producing incredible uber high grade keys and books with a seemingly endless supply

u guess it helped to keep our eyes open and us wary

Ben, trust me, if we took a poll of these boards, 99.999% would say your unqualified "appreciation/marvelling" of Ewert's books were viewed as praise.