• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is Batman 222 the new Batman 227

25 posts in this topic

15 hours ago, Randall Ries said:

'Fraid not. Yeah, there will be a run on recordings and memorabilia at 1st, but no way will the Beatles fade out. Elvis Presley is still a $150 million per year enterprise. The powers that be make sure they shake every dime out of the fans. The Beatles won't be any different. There are icons, then there are ICONS.

I'm not saying they will fade out. What I quoted said they will be more popular than ever.

7 minutes ago, ygogolak said:

I'm not saying they will fade out. What I quoted said they will be more popular than ever.

Actually, I've been told that Elvis, from a collectable standpoint, is starting to fade. I used to actively collect vinyl records and still communicate with lots of dealers. It appears that the Elvis generation is selling their stuff and there is a lot of product out there. Not there yet on the Beatles but in another 10 years ? A teenager in the 50's would now be in their 70's, pushing 80. They are not buying so demand is lower also. 

1 hour ago, Bomber-Bob said:

Actually, I've been told that Elvis, from a collectable standpoint, is starting to fade. I used to actively collect vinyl records and still communicate with lots of dealers. It appears that the Elvis generation is selling their stuff and there is a lot of product out there. Not there yet on the Beatles but in another 10 years ? A teenager in the 50's would now be in their 70's, pushing 80. They are not buying so demand is lower also. 

Well, true. The elderly aren't collecting music memorabilia so much. In fact, this is likely where the memorabilia is coming from. But younger music collectors between 25-50 are rabid. The typical records and what-not are not as popular or rare as say the original Sun 45's in fine shape. The stage costumes and the signature photos and paper memorabilia etc will always see an uptick in value. $35,000 for a pair of those aviator sunglasses he wore. Someone bought them. Music memorabilia collectors go through what comic book collectors go through. The elderly had these books, younger collectors have bought them and in turn direct the market according to availability.

From a collectibility standpoint you may be right Bob, but to me the Beatles have a far more "timeless" and innovative appeal than Elvis (disclaimer, I'm a huge Beatles fan while the appeal of Elvis is totally lost on me). I was already heavily conditioned to like them growing up in the 70's, but I actually became focused on them in high school when I was also listening to Jane's Addiction, The Cure/Smiths, Nine Inch Nails, Bauhaus, etc. In other words, much harder or darker stuff, yet I was blown away by the Beatles, whether it be their singles or the albums. Many of my friends were the same way, but, again, it's likely the direct influence of our parents and the fact that we grew up in their wake. Still, the quality of their lyrics, chords and melodies, song structure, studio techniques, etc. continues to be regarded with a genius-level sense of awe by many. That's why I feel they will always be viable to be appreciated by future generations. I had friends that liked Elvis, too, but it was far more a kitsch/image thing than any real appreciation of the music.

2 hours ago, Martin Sinescu said:

To me the Beatles have a far more "timeless" and innovative appeal than Elvis (disclaimer, I'm a huge Beatles fan while the appeal of Elvis is totally lost on me). I was already heavily conditioned to like them growing up in the 70's, but I actually became focused on them in high school when I was also listening to Jane's Addiction, The Cure/Smiths, Nine Inch Nails, Bauhaus, etc. In other words, much harder or darker stuff, yet I was blown away by the Beatles, whether it be their singles or the albums. Many of my friends were the same way, but, again, it's likely the direct influence of our parents and the fact that we grew up in their wake. Still, the quality of their lyrics, chords and melodies, song structure, studio techniques, etc. continues to be regarded with a genius-level sense of awe by many. That's why I feel they will always be viable to be appreciated by future generations. I had friends that liked Elvis, too, but it was far more a kitsch/image thing than any real appreciation of the music.

Totally concur. I grew up in the 60's and I am a huge Beatles fan. I agree that the Beatles seem to have the edge on Elvis. They wrote their own songs, their marketing blitz was bigger, and the fact that two of them are still alive and touring means a lot ! I know I will never sell off my Beatles stuff. Here's a link to some Beatles related slabbed books I own................ http://www.myslabbedcomics.com/GalleryRoom.asp?GSub=898

My office is practically a shrine to the Beatles.....

20160518_231924.jpg

Edited by Bomber-Bob