• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Third staple? Help!!!!

6 posts in this topic

Wonder if anyone knows the answer or can help... I have a very old 1968 detective comics 359 in super condition... except for the fact that it has a third staple in the centre between the standard two staples. I know that if a book is taped together for preservation purpose it's not classed as restoration and will be graded as if the tape were not there. Would the same apply to this book I Have? I can't actually see why there even I a third staple as the book is fantastic condition and is all together and held perfectly by the original staples. Would I be better to remove it???

On 9/29/2017 at 3:14 PM, Nikki666_666 said:

Will this extra staple that isn't effectively doing anything affect the grade that it will receive? If expect around a 7.5/8 if the staple wasn't there... is it still that grade as is?

It'll be fine, Any book is gradable as long as it has a cover on it.  

On 9/29/2017 at 2:14 PM, Nikki666_666 said:

Will this extra staple that isn't effectively doing anything affect the grade that it will receive? If expect around a 7.5/8 if the staple wasn't there... is it still that grade as is?

The extra staple will affect the grade, it will not be ignored. It will effectively be downgraded for the two small holes going through the whole book. Don't remove the staple. It's possible (slim) it was a bindery accident.