• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Techniques Viewed as Restoration - Or Not?
2 2

28 posts in this topic

8 hours ago, Eggman said:

And you would be 100% incorrect.  Better to ask me than assume first, especially with the negative comments.  I have no agenda other than my simple question.

I can understand your question being brought up by a Newbie but you have been on the Boards since 2008, about the same length of time as me. When I joined I knew nothing about pressing, dry cleaning, staple tucks, spine realignments, etc.  I witnessed, and I assume you did also, pressing slowly being accepted into the community. After Steve Borock left CGC, he became an active member here and starting selling his own pressed books. We had the 'Costanza' controversy, heavy cover shrinkage of high grade books. We had discovery of micro trimming ala Jason Ewert, acknowledged by CGC. Spine realignment threads. Numerous how to press threads, how to buy a press threads, etc.  I'm sorry but if you were on the Boards during the past 9 years, you lived it, hence my assumption that you were instigating. Anyway, hopefully I contributed something and added some insight. IMO, gentle pressing using proper hydration with appropriate specimens is fine. However, squishing the spine of a book to communion wafer flatness to get out a spine tick is abuse. BTW, beware of the 'return' of many of these pressed spine ticks inside the slab. Nothing worse than a buying an 8.0 book with a nice spine and see it morph into a 7.0 book with spine creasing after a few months. 

15 hours ago, Bomber-Bob said:

I can understand your question being brought up by a Newbie but you have been on the Boards since 2008, about the same length of time as me. When I joined I knew nothing about pressing, dry cleaning, staple tucks, spine realignments, etc.  I witnessed, and I assume you did also, pressing slowly being accepted into the community. After Steve Borock left CGC, he became an active member here and starting selling his own pressed books. We had the 'Costanza' controversy, heavy cover shrinkage of high grade books. We had discovery of micro trimming ala Jason Ewert, acknowledged by CGC. Spine realignment threads. Numerous how to press threads, how to buy a press threads, etc.  I'm sorry but if you were on the Boards during the past 9 years, you lived it, hence my assumption that you were instigating. Anyway, hopefully I contributed something and added some insight. IMO, gentle pressing using proper hydration with appropriate specimens is fine. However, squishing the spine of a book to communion wafer flatness to get out a spine tick is abuse. BTW, beware of the 'return' of many of these pressed spine ticks inside the slab. Nothing worse than a buying an 8.0 book with a nice spine and see it morph into a 7.0 book with spine creasing after a few months. 

Bomber-Bob - Just to be clear, I have no animosity directed your way.  I guess I can understand why you might think that after reading your comments.  However, you keep (mostly) stating the pressing issue...but I never mentioned pressing at all; I want to learn about all the different methods of restoration, or techniques/processes that aren't "technically" restoration but modifies the book in appearance in some form.  I don't assume to know everything even after 9 years on the boards.  And I've been collecting for over 40.  I feel pretty knowledgeable, but still mucho to learn.

Anyhow, I appreciate all comments including yours, and you did add some info to the discussion.  Happy to discuss via PM if you want, but we're good.

There's no question that CGC is the best out there for resto detection. However, I think the game is now  trying to sneak stuff past CGC, things that would be considered Resto if caught. A big loophole for sneaking stuff past CGC is CGC's posture on bindery flaws. If CGC 'thinks' a chip or crease is bindery they don't count it against the grade. So, fool CGC into thinking a flaw is bindery and you get a pass. Example, one that was brought up on the Boards many years ago. Fuzzy on the specifics but basically a dangling impact chip was removed and resubmitted resulting in a much higher grade. I personally experienced selling a book with a staple tear only to see it come up later with a staple tuck, hiding the tear.  I've seen a tiny corner tear get the fingernail clipper applied. How about transforming a right edge tear into a Marvel chip. For me, it's frustrating that any flaws get a pass. IF CGC would change their posture on Marvel chipping and bindery flaws in general it would make these deceitful techniques employeed less. 

4 hours ago, HighRadArt said:

Staple tuck?

I don't know the mechanics on how this is accomplished but if the staple is mostly on the vertex of the spine, the staple is pushed in and the spine is given an aggressive press holding it in that position. In my case, a key pedigree book, the staple was visible with a tear. After the tuck ,the staple was no longer visible from the front with both the staple and the tear hidden. It's very analogous to a spine realignment. Nothing technically illegal as far as CGC is concerned except they did not see the tear and the book got a grade bump. Again, the game is let's see what we can sneak by CGC. I hate these kind of antics. Years ago, the Boards would be on the outlook for this kind of stuff, providing before and after pics and calling people out. Now, not too many care anymore. It's all about the label and not the book inside.

15 hours ago, Bomber-Bob said:

I don't know the mechanics on how this is accomplished but if the staple is mostly on the vertex of the spine, the staple is pushed in and the spine is given an aggressive press holding it in that position. In my case, a key pedigree book, the staple was visible with a tear. After the tuck ,the staple was no longer visible from the front with both the staple and the tear hidden. It's very analogous to a spine realignment. Nothing technically illegal as far as CGC is concerned except they did not see the tear and the book got a grade bump. Again, the game is let's see what we can sneak by CGC. I hate these kind of antics. Years ago, the Boards would be on the outlook for this kind of stuff, providing before and after pics and calling people out. Now, not too many care anymore. It's all about the label and not the book inside.

Appreciate the reply Bob.

What is wrong with wanting to get a book a higher grade in a way that does not involve reatoration? What is wrong with a 'staple tuck' if the book looks better and grades higher? I don't understand the reasoning.  As a collector I just want my books to look better and grade higher.  I have a book x-men #63 in great condition but it has a small staple tear along the spine otherwise it is like 9.2 - 9.4 range maybe.  How do I get a spine tuck for that? 

On 10/3/2017 at 12:45 AM, namisgr said:

Why not 'stir the pot' and continue to discuss pressing?  There are probably plenty of folks newer to the Boards who've not participated in exchanging ideas and viewpoints about it here before.

Exactly