• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Part of a nice Bronze Age collection for sale.

52 posts in this topic

Although I have kept quiet on this seller, as I didn't feel like causing too much [#@$%!!!], I figure that his rep is blown anyways so here's my story.

The seller, James Laurel, bid and "won" my Man-Thing 1 CGC 9.6 off eBay for $305 back in around February of this year. He contacted me a few days later and advised me that he was going to send a money order in a few days. After a few days later, he EMAILs me advising that he has had a death in the family so he requested a few weeks delay in making payment. I expressed my condolences and said that it was fine.

However, subsequently, the_rocketeer mentioned on the forums that the "winner" of his Supernatural Thrillers 2 CGC 9.8 didn't pay him yet. I checked the auction page and notice that the "winner" was the same guy. I discussed with the_rocketeer about the reasons given and he said that the guy gave him this death in the family excuse. However, I noticed that the Supernatural Thriller book ended BEFORE the auction of the Man-Thing 1 started!

Therefore, I EMAILed the guy and asked him about it. I also mentioned that I noticed that he was still bidding on over 20+ auctions and some bids were put in AFTER he contacted me. He gave me some story about him sharing the ID with his friend and that he was "Jimmy" and his friend was "Matthew". Because I recalled him posting on the boards asking for a Man-Thing 1 CGC 9.6 previously, I asked him if he "shared" his forum ID with his friend as well. He finally relented and admitted that it was his ID. Since the price realized was the second highest on GPA record, I told him that I would still give him the extension but I didn't appreciate him giving me this story. I also stated that I wanted him to give me positive feedback right away, as he had done with the_rocketeer. He left it as requested.

However, a few days later, he advised that he couldn't pay for the auction and requested that he just pay for my fees. Because the book was such a good example of a 9.6 and that I was considering resubbing it for a higher grade, I just said yes because I did so well on my other books. He Paypaled me the $$ right away so I just let him slide.

But while this scenario was unfolding, I noticed something strange on most of the auctions that he was bidding on. Some low feedback bidder

"creamsodas" was outbidding him to give the impression that he wasn't winning on so many books! Yes, he was bidding against himself! screwy.gif

I realized that this account was his shill because I noticed that this ID was bidding on some of his previous selling auctions and bid up the winners. Also, for the other auctions that this account bid on, the bidding pattern was the same - i.e. The guy always bids higher when outbid. Jimmymatthew was selling off a bunch of his CGC books at the same time and guess who was bidding on these auctions. You guessed it.

I reported them both and both were NARU'd. The jimmymatthew account got reinstated after a few weeks. Typical eBay protocol with shillers! foreheadslap.gif

The seller also had the audacity to ask me to give him a positive recently after I resold the Man-Thing 1 for $100 less than previously. I should have negged him then but I previously promised that I wouldn't neg him so I'm not going to be that petty.

***The most damning part is that this seller has given the same excuse about not being able to pay for a friend of mine recently. He hits 2 BINs totaling $100 recently and then a few days later, gives an excuse about something unexepected happening and that he can't pay. He didn't mention a death this time though. He also gave glowing positive feedback to my friend right away. However, my friend was familiar with my situation so he contacted me to confirm if this was the same guy. I advised yes and told him not to give the guy a break. So my friend has EMAILed him advising him that he expects payment or he will be negged and reported for non-payment.***

***The End***

In my time here on the boards, this is by far the longest post I have ever read of Greggy's. hail.gif

You can read? 893whatthe.gif
When I said read, I typically meant my Mommy had to read it for me. devil.gif

Thanks for your input Sir Greggy thumbsup2.gif

I wouldn't be so quick to thank our depraved forum member to the North quite yet. I'm more interested in his delay of bringing this story to light. Doesn't he realize that his hesitation could have caused one of our other forumites to be scammed? 893naughty-thumb.gifpoke2.gif

...Greggy and I discussed it at length and decided it would be best not to worry you kids,... tongue.gif,...all kidding aside at the time we both got hit from him neither one of us realized what he was doing,....we just thought he was bitting off more than he could chew and making excuses to stall for time,...he did pay me a ridiculous price for one of my Marvel Bronze pieces, but hey ,...getting a stoopid price on a book every so often happens with e-bay,....he never paid me the $200.00 he owed me on the second book and I think I sold it to Sully as a second chance offer......but the funniest part was when he e-mailed me the day before the 90 feedback expiration and asked me to give him positive feedback, 27_laughing.gif... 27_laughing.gif...I laughed so hard I soiled my underoos,....yes Darth,...the Wonder Woman ones with the little starts on them,.......

I laughed so hard I soiled my underoos,....yes Darth,...the Wonder Woman ones with the little starts on them,.......

what are you doing wearing Greggy's gear? Ithought you had the Aquaman green ones or the purple wonder twins panties with jan on the front and zana on the back?

***Update: Amazingly, the seller actually paid my friend after he gave him the ultimatum. I guess his "unexpected" circumstances wasn't that important after all! 27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

Jesus! Give me a break!! I am not involved in a huge Ebay conspiracy ro scamming operation and some of you people need to realize that not everyone is privvy to the likes and dislikes of the proper Ebay code that has been established in this community.

The bottom line here is made up of a couple important points.

Point #1... Despite some negative encounters leading to negative opinions as a result of some Ebay transactions, there is a lot of positive feedback that was received for me that was not the result of a) threats of violence b) incriminating pictures used against said seller c) me creating 200+ ebay accounts and leaving pos. feedback for myself.

This positive feedback was the result of solid and valid transactions where I bought or sold in a timely manner. Was there a family situation that completely depleted finances?? Yes! Why the F*%# was I even giving details of it and begging forgiveness to get a break? I had made sold transactions and then found myself in a jam and have to beg and plead for a break. Jeezus.

Anyway, in spite of all this, my "situation" is resulting in me having to sell most of my entire collection. You may have suspicions about my grading, but damn, just email me and ask for more scans. I knew this kind of questioning would come up which is why I put enormous scans on the damn auction and specifically advised to email me with any questions. How many questions did I have emailed to me? NONE! Instead I am discussed in this thread and raked over the coals while not one person actually emails me with a grade question of a book or about my integrity as a seller. You gossiping old ladies!! I can almost see the picket fence you housewives are leaning over. jeezus again.

I will revise and remove the CGC mention from the auctions. Keep in mind the starting min. bid is very low and even below the very fine price so give me a break. If you don't share the opinion of my grade than bid what you think the grade is. Liek it says clearly in the frikkin description. I have included large scans so you can judge for yourselves in case of different grading opinions. Just can't be careful enough for you lads eh?

I'm glad you could take the time away from your family to post on the boards at this hard time in your life. I just wanted to let you know that not everyone here hates you and that there are people here on the boards that understand what it is like to lose someone close to them. God bless man.

sooo...humility's not your strong suit, eh?

it's always a great idea - when caught with your pants down - to shake your d-i-you-know-the-rest around while whining like a child. it not only wins you friends and raises your popularity, but also makes those who had no dog in the fight immediately take your side and wish you nothing but good fortune. yes, a strategy worthy of Charlemagne, Napoleon or Alexander the Great.

i guess i should just eat some popcorn and hang around for the inevitable destruction

well that just takes all the starch out of it. what's the point of a good rant if you're going to apologise in like an hour?

confused-smiley-013.gif