• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

newsstand vs direct

8 posts in this topic

20 hours ago, skrank said:

Whichever's higher grade.  Newsstand probably more common and/but no difference pricewise for books of this age.  

That is not really accurate. Direct Market copies from 1980 are fairly rare and many dealers are starting to charge premiums for them. 

2 hours ago, shadroch said:

That is not really accurate. Direct Market copies from 1980 are fairly rare and many dealers are starting to charge premiums for them. 

Really?  It makes sense there's a market for early directs but I haven't noticed.  I guess it also makes a difference in what book we're talking.  Marvel directs from the get go in '79 are everywhere, while you might have to search some for say, a DCPresents 26 direct.

Edited by skrank

For my Batman run, I have a spreadsheet that shows whether the copies I own are Newsstand or Direct and as soon as the Direct Market versions started, my collection overwhelmingly skews in that direction, so for DC's I think it's easier to find DM's even at the beginning.  Honestly, for that time period I really haven't discriminated as far as picking up Newsstands vs. Directs, I just pick up high grade copies when I can find them and it seems that either version should be readily available for most 80's books, so I was kinda surprised when I looked over my spreadsheet and saw so few newsstands. I wouldn't pay a premium for one, though. Mid-90's and later, sure.

I believe Marvel started a good year or so before DC (but I could be wrong, DC started in late 1980), so the early DM Marvels (with the slash through the barcode) may in fact be tougher.

On October 16, 2017 at 4:34 AM, Martin Sinescu said:

For my Batman run, I have a spreadsheet that shows whether the copies I own are Newsstand or Direct and as soon as the Direct Market versions started, my collection overwhelmingly skews in that direction, so for DC's I think it's easier to find DM's even at the beginning.  Honestly, for that time period I really haven't discriminated as far as picking up Newsstands vs. Directs, I just pick up high grade copies when I can find them and it seems that either version should be readily available for most 80's books, so I was kinda surprised when I looked over my spreadsheet and saw so few newsstands. I wouldn't pay a premium for one, though. Mid-90's and later, sure.

I believe Marvel started a good year or so before DC (but I could be wrong, DC started in late 1980), so the early DM Marvels (with the slash through the barcode) may in fact be tougher.

Yes, Marvels begin 06/79.  DC, 10/80

On October 16, 2017 at 7:24 AM, shadroch said:

Big difference between 80s books and books from 1980.  In 1980, the DM was still in its infancy.

By around 1984, it is about equal and another few years and it's dominant.

That's what I thought, but it doesn't check out.  At least on ebay, both versions of the early books are readily available in pretty much equal proportions.  I thought Dc directs were introduced more gradually because DCP26, a book I'v been watching, tilted towards newsstand, but it's the only example I've found that's weighted that way.  I'm beginning to think as a prominent key they've been scooped up but I'm really not sure.  Based on current availability I see no reason for premiums on early directs but if you know of other examples I'm all ears.