• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MIGHTY CON - DUPAGE COMIC CON 11/11/2017 (CHICAGO)

55 posts in this topic

This is the same Mighty Con show a few boardies will set up at. You'll also find a lot of the regular dealers from other Chicago area shows like First Aid Comics,  Geek Inc, Alley Kat etc

For this show, I will be setting up with Brad @SharpComics.com Dave @manetteska and Roger @fatninja - we will have one big MEGA-BOOTH against the wall (will update if that changes) so please come check us out.

Since this is the last show of the year for me, I will have 18 boxes of 50 cent books, including 10 long boxes of new stock, I will also be discounting my priced books at 50 percent off. Lot of great deals to be made so please come by early.

Hey Hector -

I know you did not make it this year - but I believe you hit Count i Con last year -

As a seller - do you think the Might Con events bring in more of a comic buying crowd? --- looking to add an event or 2 next year.  Some of the reports have much lower numbers than the "count" draws  --- but that does not mean we had more buyers.......

2 hours ago, W16227 said:

Hey Hector -

I know you did not make it this year - but I believe you hit Count i Con last year -

As a seller - do you think the Might Con events bring in more of a comic buying crowd? --- looking to add an event or 2 next year.  Some of the reports have much lower numbers than the "count" draws  --- but that does not mean we had more buyers.......

Hey Dave - I was at Count-i-Con this year (albeit only Friday night), and from what I saw Friday -- and read from your sales report -- Mighty Con has more comic buying.

Not all Mighty Cons are created equal (the one not in DuPage was kind of sad), but it does draw the *right* crowd.

8 minutes ago, manetteska said:

Hey Dave - I was at Count-i-Con this year (albeit only Friday night), and from what I saw Friday -- and read from your sales report -- Mighty Con has more comic buying.

Not all Mighty Cons are created equal (the one not in DuPage was kind of sad), but it does draw the *right* crowd.

One of my box diggers on Saturday - was implying the same thing. Count i Con ( to him) was not known as a comic buying con....  I still love doing it ( pretty much my hometown) --- but now that the con "stock" is better organized, I would want to bring a smaller setup to the "right" crowd!

Hope you found some good items Friday ( though you had to squint in many locaitons) .....

7 minutes ago, W16227 said:

One of my box diggers on Saturday - was implying the same thing. Count i Con ( to him) was not known as a comic buying con....  I still love doing it ( pretty much my hometown) --- but now that the con "stock" is better organized, I would want to bring a smaller setup to the "right" crowd!

Hope you found some good items Friday ( though you had to squint in many locaitons) .....

The lighting (or lack thereof) was a surprise on Friday night. You had a great setup, but the primo location was not so primo on Friday with the lights turned down. I was interested to see what Dreamland had -- as they had good books at another con a while ago -- but they didn't bring any comics at all.

I spent nearly all my time at one dealer's $0.50 boxes because I randomly flipped and found an Adam Hughes issue I had not seen before along with weird indie stuff. Since the weird indie stuff is usually marked as junk outright by sellers, I decided to look through all of their boxes for treasure. I found some good stuff, but based on the time to drive to the show, dig through boxes, and now drive back, my energy was gone.

3 hours ago, W16227 said:

Hey Hector -

It’s a little difficult for me to answer because I usually sell the majority of my stuff to dealers or regulars who buy from me.

i do well on my cheap stuff but I’ve noticed that most of the buyers at Mighty are people looking to flip - again my stock is a little different than yours but you should come by and check it out

i will note that attendance has been slowly going down the past few years 

I never done Madison but heard good things. I think their Milwaukee show is great

5 hours ago, manetteska said:

The lighting (or lack thereof) was a surprise on Friday night. You had a great setup, but the primo location was not so primo on Friday with the lights turned down. I was interested to see what Dreamland had -- as they had good books at another con a while ago -- but they didn't bring any comics at all.

I spent nearly all my time at one dealer's $0.50 boxes because I randomly flipped and found an Adam Hughes issue I had not seen before along with weird indie stuff. Since the weird indie stuff is usually marked as junk outright by sellers, I decided to look through all of their boxes for treasure. I found some good stuff, but based on the time to drive to the show, dig through boxes, and now drive back, my energy was gone.

love me some $.50 boxes + weird indie stuff!

Guys, you're scaring me.  Call me snobbish but I don't want to go to a con and see mostly .50 books. I've been reading too many comments lately from dealers saying they can sell the good stuff online so they only bring the drek to sell at shows. Anybody bringing the goods ?

1 hour ago, Bomber-Bob said:

Guys, you're scaring me.  Call me snobbish but I don't want to go to a con and see mostly .50 books. I've been reading too many comments lately from dealers saying they can sell the good stuff online so they only bring the drek to sell at shows. Anybody bringing the goods ?

Bob, I always find some good stuff at these shows. Yes, there is a lot of drek, but there are some dealers who bring the goods. Let me know if you're going to go and we'll meet you there.

2 hours ago, Bomber-Bob said:

Plenty of other dealers should have everything with the exception of golden age 

7 hours ago, jsilverjanet said:

Plenty of other dealers should have everything with the exception of golden age 

There is always a decent selection of books at this show.  Actually I can't think of a time that I went to the Dupage show and did not come home with some great stuff. The last time there I went box diving at the end of the day right before we broke down the booth and was still finding killer deals.  This is a show worth checking out. 

Plus you don't wanna miss the MEGA-BOOTH!

I will definitely be representing wall/key books at  MEGA-BOOTH!

With a (very) small mattering of Golden Age.

I don't normally bring slabs, but if there is a desire (and room) I can bring those.

I'm hoping to gather stock together this weekend; will provide picks of what I'm bringing to get those juices flowin'.

20 minutes ago, manetteska said:

I don't normally bring slabs, but if there is a desire (and room) I can bring those.

I'm hoping to gather stock together this weekend; will provide picks of what I'm bringing to get those juices flowin'.

Plus me and Dave promise not to do any trading before the show starts so that way everyone has equal opportunity to buy his extremely well priced books

19 hours ago, manetteska said:

Dreamland has been there the past three years - but starting last year they moved to only the pops and lego/game type layout.  I would bet the year they had comics - they did not move that well ( shame as the store has a good selection and they get new stock in regularly).

Yea - the lighting did suck Friday - but I expected it. I had flashlights for anyone who wanted to dig through the boxes. Only real issue for me was how I placed my sinage - If I had it more forward, my spots could have been lighting up the "wall" racks more instead of just the signs.

My other change for next time there --- I should have put my lower cost bins out front ( did 2 for a buck Friday/Saturday and 4 for a buck Sunday) -  once people moved around, they found them and looked - but he guys next to me had similar bins that you would see 1st - so the bargain bin hunters would dig there before realizing I had more to look through ( and I had plenty of weird indys, lol)

For Bob ---- I definitely bring the goods when I set up - but prefer moving the small stuff as "lower value" volume is the tough thing to do on ebay.  I also have a limited amount of "the goods" - so I have to pick and choose what I bring and hope it matches with what people are looking for.  If anything - the show books might spark a conversation so I can bring something on day 2 or even work out a paypal sale.

On 10/27/2017 at 10:24 AM, manetteska said:

Family coming over and then some food poisoning this week prevented me from making as much headway as I wanted.

Good news:

• A lot of previously "As Priced" comics are making their way to $1 boxes
  • A lot of previously "Not For Sale" comics are making their way to the show (divided between $1 and As Priced)

Bad news:

• $1 boxes may not be organized
  • May have to commit a selling cardinal sin and have some new back-stock not priced until I get to the show (or someone pulls it to buy it)
  • No pics yet

Have a few more short boxes to go through but so far 17 new boxes of 50 cent books, all previously priced books $10 and up will be discount 50% off, and at least 6 new short boxes of new $1, $3, $5 and $10 and up books will be at the show. I’ll post pics tomorrow/Friday