• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bigger SA Key: Batman 121 or Amazing Spider-Man 14?
1 1

Bigger SA key: Batman 121 or Amazing Spider-Man 14  

66 members have voted

1. 1. Bigger SA key: Batman 121 or Amazing Spider-Man 14

• Batman 121
    • Amazing Spider-Man 14
    • Undecided/don't know

43 posts in this topic

It's Batman 121, not spidey 121. Spidey 14 is definitely more popular and more desirable imo. Just more Spidey fans out there I think. Especially with the way WB is destroying the image of Batman in the films. Though Mr. Freeze is popular, definitely not as cool as the Joker. If I had to pick, I'd choose the Joker over Gobby.

Wanted to edit this as Batman 121 sells higher than ASM 14. Though it's a few years older and probably harder to find in higher grade.

Edited by Philflound

I think it's two different questions. In terms of value, a high grade bats 121 would probably rack up a higher number in an auction vs a comparable (and likely more common) copy of ASM 14.

In terms of historical significance, ASM 14 hands down. Green Goblin is Spidey's arch villain, Mr Freeze (as a character) barely matters. Don't drop the bricks on me over that one -- I didn't say the concept barely matters; Captain Cold rocks as a villain. But Mr Freeze has not been significant in th Batman pantheon of villains in a long time. And he was never top dog.

Edited by Readcomix

GP Analysis

Spidey 14

Grade
Notes 2015 Avg   2016 Avg   12Mnth Avg   90Day Avg   Last Sale

add.png
( 9.8 )    (1) $54,970    -    -    -   $54,970  Nov-2015

add.png
( 9.6 )    -    (1) $15,535    (2) $17,101 arrow_up_green.png    -   $18,666  Jul-2017

Batman 121

Grade

add.png
( 9.2 )    -    -    -    -   $7,000  Jun-2009

add.png
( 9.0 )    -    (2) $14,100    (1) $21,905 arrow_up_green.png    -   $21,905  Jul-2017

add.png
( 8.5 )    -    -    (1) $18,200    (1) $18,200   $18,200

Sep-2017

CENSUS for Bat 121, nothing higher than 9.2

Near Mint -   9.2 2 0 0 1   3
Very Fine/Near Mint   9.0 2 0 0 0   2

3 hours ago, Philflound said:

GP Analysis

Spidey 14

Grade

add.png
( 9.8 )    (1) $54,970    -    -    -   $54,970  Nov-2015

add.png
( 9.6 )    -    (1) $15,535    (2) $17,101 arrow_up_green.png    -   $18,666  Jul-2017

Looks to me like your database is not quite up-to-date as you are missing the 9.8 graded copy of ASM 14 that sold at Heritage for something like $71.7K just a couple of months ago.  :gossip:

Edited by lou_fine

3 hours ago, Readcomix said:

10 hours ago, Martin Sinescu said:

This is a really odd comparison, why these two books against each other?

I also wonder the point of this particular comparison.

For fun?

I'll have a go.  Bats 121 is certainly legendary to collectors for being from that time before the Marvel superhero, 1958-'59, from which so few well preserved copies remain.  Add the white cover to the challenge of finding a copy not only well preserved structurally, but with sweet, unyellowed paper preservation, and you've got one of the truly tough SA keys for collectors to find in great shape.  The first graded NM copy would go for silly money, if one ever turned up.

That's all I've got for the Bats.  Mr. Freeze is hardly near the top of the pantheon of Batman villains.  The art has the stiff style of DCs of the era.  Contrast it with ASM 14, with its introduction of one of the greatest supervillains in all of comic-dom, a dynamic Ditko cover and great interior art, and you've got the clear winner from my point of view.  

The only aspect of ASM 14 that keeps its value down below the six figure mark in top grade is that it's relatively common - I remember being told by the dealer who co-owned the Las Vegas collection and brought it to market, an entire house filled with stacks of high grade early SA Marvels, that there were multiple NM and better copies of the 14, and when the two dealers needed a bit of cash they'd just submit another copy of ASM 14 and of DD 1 for grading.

Edited by namisgr

Let's see... a DC villain who barely registers in the pantheon of Batman villains vs the greatest villain in the Spidey-verse (maybe Venom is a close second).  

Additionally, of the entire Silver Age collecting community, how many folks actually give a rats @$$ about Batman 121?  I can appreciate it's a scarce book, but I can't even believe we're discussing it in comparison to ASM 14!? :screwy:

8 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Looks to me like your database is not quite up-to-date as you are missing the 9.8 graded copy of ASM 14 that sold at Heritage for something like $71.7K just a couple of months ago.  :gossip:

It's not me, GP Analysis. Guess they aren't up to date. Have no idea.