• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Question on Thor series

33 posts in this topic

Hey everyone. Just a quick general question. I'm not familiar with the THOR series, and I'm just trying to figure out the numbering. I notice that the series starts as #126. Did the series have a different name before that?

thank you.

Hey everyone. Just a quick general question. I'm not familiar with the THOR series, and I'm just trying to figure out the numbering. I notice that the series starts as #126. Did the series have a different name before that?

thank you.

You insufficiently_thoughtful_person, don't you know anything about comics?

--------

there I saved you sometime if you thought my question was dumb. hi.gif

Don't listen to these guys. the first 125 issues were called Dr. Donald Blake's Love Clinic, but eventually the Asgard storylines began overshadowing the romance themes in the book and Marvel changed the title to Thor

sorry.gif

maybe i'm not cool enough to collect silver age. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

You'll do fine. The first 82 issues were Journey into Mystery then the title unofficially changed to Journey into Mystery with the Mighty Thor (which was a mouthfull) until issue 125, then Mighty Thor from there on. For a small sampling of Journey into Mystery check out the Pre-Hero Marvel thread located on this forum. I have posted the lead story of Journey into Mystery # 82 which is the issue before Thor starts.

And of course there's the great fashions that ............ooooppppsss, another shameless plug

Do yourself a favour and just scan through the various cover pieces on Mile High Comics or Comic Price Guide website. Check out the Golden age stuff as well as it will give you a much better appreciation for Silver age books and the history behind them.

Do yourself a favour and just scan through the various cover pieces on Mile High Comics or Comic Price Guide website. Check out the Golden age stuff as well as it will give you a much better appreciation for Silver age books and the history behind them.

I was looking at the comic price guide website, they showed the THOR series as starting at 126, and provided no reasoning as to why it didnt start at 1, as would be expected. I am sticking to silver age for now.

I was looking at the below auction... hence my question regarding THOR.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6535097084&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEDW%3AIT&rd=1

I was outbided by a few dollars, oh well.

yup, for the price of 13 new comics off the rack, you can get yourself started in the silver age with 13 G to VG reader copies

before you know it, you can wind up with a pretty comprehensive collection of non-key SA issues for not a huge amount of money

and they're a lot more fun to own than the new comic 50 cent bin fodder that everyone would love to sell for recycling

yup, for the price of 13 new comics off the rack, you can get yourself started in the silver age with 13 G to VG reader copies

before you know it, you can wind up with a pretty comprehensive collection of non-key SA issues for not a huge amount of money

and they're a lot more fun to own than the new comic 50 cent bin fodder that everyone would love to sell for recycling

Ditto!

You can get stacks of GVG to VGF non-key silver/early bronze marvels for $3 to $5 each in large lots on eBay and Heritage.

Much more fun and better resale value.

You can almost always break even selling doubles from the lots.

Try selling moderns for what you paid for them. 27_laughing.gif

of course, if people don't buy new comics, the genre will likely die, but i digress...

anyway, the key to buying moderns is not to buy with an eye toward re-sale. if you're buying to read, or to satisfy some weird compulsion to complete a run in a series or whatever, you're less likely to feel like you've tossed money away.

hence i limit myself to 2-4 new books a month and try to pick stuff that i don't anticipate seeing in the bargain bin any time soon. i also give the 25-75 cent cover price issues a shot. i figure if a company is going to put a real product out for that price i might as well support them in that effort if it doesn't look like utter junk.

if mainstream books were back to $1 cover price I probably wouldn't have a problem buying 30-40 titles a month. if i saw them in the 50 cent bin 2 months later i wouldn't care so much.

I was looking at the comic price guide website, they showed the THOR series as starting at 126, and provided no reasoning as to why it didnt start at 1, as would be expected. I am sticking to silver age for now.

That was fairly common. I believe it had to do with postal regulations and a way to save money if the numbering of a series were continued instead of being stopped and taken up with #1. You can see this in the Hulk 102 and the Doctor Strange 169. Why Iron Man did not follow suit from Tales Of Suspense I have no idea (anybody?).

Other examples: in the GA Marvel Mystery Comics #92 was the last issue before going to horror with Marvel Tales #93.

Fawcett's Unknown World #1 continued with Strange Stories From Another World #2.

EC's Crime Patrol ended with #16 and continued as Crypt of Terror through #19, then became Tales From the Crypt with #20.

Hope that helps. smile.gif

That was fairly common. I believe it had to do with postal regulations and a way to save money if the numbering of a series were continued instead of being stopped and taken up with #1. You can see this in the Hulk 102 and the Doctor Strange 169. Why Iron Man did not follow suit from Tales Of Suspense I have no idea (anybody?)

Iron Man numbering didn't continue from Tales of Suspense because Captain America numbering did.