• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Can I get in eBay trouble if...

35 posts in this topic

Hello gang,

For the first time I added local pick up to my listings on eBay and sure enough, even though I am from a smaller city, someone is wanting to take me up on the local pick up. I am totally OK with this, even prefer it, but I am wondering if I can get into trouble if I by-pass eBay since the fellow is offering cash. If I end the listing, meet up with him at a public place and accept cash will I somehow get screwed on eBay? I don't want to handicap my ability to list on eBay in other words.  

Thanks for the replies in advance! 

1 minute ago, PunisherPunisherPunisher said:

A friend did the same thing, eBay found out and now he has to sell via his brothers account at another address 

eBay are very strict now with the terms of service

Alright, that's what I wanted to know. In that case, I will just go through the proper channels and not risk it over peanuts. 

2 minutes ago, PunisherPunisherPunisher said:

A friend did the same thing, eBay found out and now he has to sell via his brothers account at another address 

Exactly. I wasn't trying to sound judgmental, just laying out the facts :)

Just now, Patriot6 said:

Alright, that's what I wanted to know. In that case, I will just go through the proper channels and not risk it over peanuts. 

Yes I think it's not worth it, my friend was selling 3k a week on eBay(not comics) and when he was shut down he was selling $200 a week, lucky his brother helped out

What I suggest you do is if you meet the person for the pick up delivery, exchange numbers and if he wants to buy from you in the future you can do it that way or if you mail the item leave a card with your number on it.

1 minute ago, MustEatBrains said:

I would be careful as you would have to exchange some type of contact info with the potential buyer via ebays messaging service.  I think they can and will look at your messages if they suspect something.  If they see a email or phone you will probably be done for.

Someone PMed me a way around all of that, but I am not willing to risk it. It's a 125$ book so on the grand scheme of things, I'll pay the fees. 

3 minutes ago, PunisherPunisherPunisher said:

Yes I think it's not worth it, my friend was selling 3k a week on eBay(not comics) and when he was shut down he was selling $200 a week, lucky his brother helped out

What I suggest you do is if you meet the person for the pick up delivery, exchange numbers and if he wants to buy from you in the future you can do it that way or if you mail the item leave a card with your number on it.

Ouch 3k to nil is cringe worthy for sure. As they say if you are willing to play with fire prepare to be burned. 

hm

This is shrewd advice, why didn't I think of that already?!

1 minute ago, Patriot6 said:

Ouch 3k to nil is cringe worthy for sure. As they say if you are willing to play with fire prepare to be burned. 

hm

This is shrewd advice, why didn't I think of that already?!

Hope that helps 

Not worth it at the end of the day, though slipping a business card with your email and number on it attached to the package wouldn't hurt lol

Best of luck with your sales 

:tink:

3 minutes ago, PunisherPunisherPunisher said:

Hope that helps 

Not worth it at the end of the day, though slipping a business card with your email and number on it attached to the package wouldn't hurt lol

Best of luck with your sales 

:tink:

:tink:Cheers!

Thank you for the advice, much appreciated!

38 minutes ago, AJD said:

Can't you do the local pickup and then just mark it paid on ebay? You don't have to take the risk of shipping, your customer saves a few bucks postage and ebay gets paid. (shrug)

That is exactly what we did. I was confused because I had it set as immediate payment so I didn't know how to by-pass that, but figured it out. 

Edited by Patriot6

15 hours ago, PunisherPunisherPunisher said:

Can you go into a little more detail on how this person was caught? 

In my experience, they do scan emails very carefully for exchange of contact information.  But unless you say you want to bypass them its not like they have any proof of this.  Then you keep the listing but raise the price to something no one would ever pay.  End the listing after a month or two.

Edited by GM8