• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Please grade my Adventure Comics #237

36 posts in this topic

Hello everyone,

Please grade my Adventure #237 from 1957. First Legion "tryout" issue featuring the Intergalactic Vigilante Squadron. Supposedly as tough to find in FN or better as Brave & the Bold #25 or Action #242, and VERY tough to find in any grade without faded colors!

My scanner tends to be a bit heavy on the yellow, so I had to reduce the yellow using Photoshop to get the scan to look like the comic in hand. The red looks dead on, but the blue at the top of the book is a little darker than in hand. Gloss is gorgeous, colors are bright and unfaded, pages are OW-W at worse, and maybe even straight White. The mark on the LLC BC is a very light bend, not a full crease. The spine wear is just a few stresses, plus some ink flaking and a small scrape on the apex of the spine at the center of the book.

Also, there is no spine roll. The reason the top edge of the back cover is visible from the front is because it was not cut perfectly squarely.

adv237.jpg

adv237b.jpg

Scott, what is the left of "June" at the top near the middle? Is that a stain?

Good eye, Pete. That is a very light tideline from a water stain. Almost invisible in hand, but it shows up nicely Christo_pull_hair.gif in the scan. 27_laughing.gif

Good eye, Pete. That is a very light tideline from a water stain. Almost invisible in hand, but it shows up nicely Christo_pull_hair.gif in the scan. 27_laughing.gif

27_laughing.gif prob 7.0 maybe 7.5. I don't think I would deduct too much for the stain (maybe .5/1.0?). It's very light. The consistent light spine wear is the only thing I see. The book has beautiful colors and a nice white back cover.

If you say it's a difficult copy to get above a FN, then you hit the jackpot. thumbsup2.gif

sls,

Nize looking book, and the tiny water stain doesn't detract much. But the 1.5" crease to the LLBC does, and I can't see it going higher than 6.0 - 6.5. sumo.gif Not knowing my Supes, is this a valuable book? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

tbk

I agree - 7.5 - 8.0 without the stain - is my perception wrong that CGC punishes water stains, even light ones, more harshly than tanning and foxing? Well, regardless of what CGC says, I wouldn't knock any more than a point off for that particular stain - so 6.5 - 7.0. Nice book!

sls,

Nize looking book, and the tiny water stain doesn't detract much. But the 1.5" crease to the LLBC does, and I can't see it going higher than 6.0 - 6.5. sumo.gif Not knowing my Supes, is this a valuable book? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

tbk

Diva, It's as much a crease as the book you put up recently. sumo.gif FFB said it was a bend.

sls,

tbk

Diva, It's as much a crease as the book you put up recently. sumo.gif FFB said it was a bend.

You're friggin' high sumo.gif

I agree - 7.5 - 8.0 without the stain - is my perception wrong that CGC punishes water stains, even light ones, more harshly than tanning and foxing? Well, regardless of what CGC says, I wouldn't knock any more than a point off for that particular stain - so 6.5 - 7.0. Nice book!

I don't see it being an 8.0 with the damage to the bottom LHC? Stains seem to nail a grade pretty good so I would go with a 6.5.

27_laughing.gif prob 7.0 maybe 7.5. I don't think I would deduct too much for the stain (maybe .5/1.0?). It's very light. The consistent light spine wear is the only thing I see. The book has beautiful colors and a nice white back cover.

If you say it's a difficult copy to get above a FN, then you hit the jackpot. thumbsup2.gif

I agree with you, Pete. I have this book as a 7.0/7.5. The richness of the inks and the incredible gloss and page quality (near impossible on books from this era) may give it the bump to 7.5. Bought from a major dealer as an "8.0" sight unseen. It wasn't an 8.0 in my mind, but at the price I paid (about $200), I was happy to find one in this shape. Check the census to see how rare this minor key is. And try to find a copy in any grade without faded colors. TOUGH book.

FN+

FN+ - what kind of geezer grade is that? How will the kids know what your talking about? Only numbers allowed sumo.gif

Hey, don't try to pick on my Archie buddy. sumo.gif

flowerred.gif

sls,

tbk

It's not really a hard crease, it's more a light bend that looks far worse in the scan. Incidentally, I have a CGC 7.5 FF#52 with a larger, more pronounced crease on the back cover and a virtually identical front cover (albeit without the very light tidelines on the top edge). I can't see any way that this book will grade out at 6.0/6.5. I'll show you the book tomorrow and maybe you'll agree when you see it in hand.

This is a valuable book because of the Legion "tryout" factor, and also because of the rarity factor. DCs in relatively high grade with outstanding colors, gloss, and page quality from this era are really tough to find.

I don't see it being an 8.0 with the damage to the bottom LHC? Stains seem to nail a grade pretty good so I would go with a 6.5.

The damage to the LLC is just an abraded corner. It's obviously a factor in the grade, but not enough to push it down to 6.5 in my opinion.

Just for the sake of comparison, here is an FF#13 CGC 6.5 that I submitted personally. (Sold recently to my pal Drummy headbang.gif.) Although the FF#13 is a nice book in its own right, the Adv. #237 is significantly brighter, fresher, and glossier, has a similar amount of spine wear, but isn't missing any chips (see URC of the FF#13 and the top and right edge tears). The FF#13 has a (smaller) crease in the ULC of the back cover and an abraded lower spine corner similar to the Adv. 237.

2-FF13-65.jpg

2-FF13-65b.jpg