• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC Moderns in the future....

24 posts in this topic

I was just looking at CGC slabs on ebay and i was amazed at the amount of moderns that are being sent in to be slabbed and then (as 9.8/9.6's) being stuck on ebay. For example the Green Lantern Rebirth series. #1 Over 300 Subs, #2 Over 100 Subs, #3 over 80 Subs and #4 over 70 subs. Not as much as some other comics/series i'll admit but that is just a few months after the comic has been released.

What do you think it will be like for CGC moderns in twenty odd years time? Will they be treated the same as 90's stuff just now? There is so much of it floating around that no one gives a hoot?

I also wonder about the challenge of finding those high grade copies. That challenge will remain with GA/SA/BA obviously, but again in twenty years or so it isnt going to be a problem finding a high grade Green Lantern Rebirth 1 as there are currently 200 odd 9.8's! I know all about the SSS etc, but this new inner well looks pretty sound so far.

I wonder what effect this amount of HG comics will have on the hobbey in the future. It would be nice to be able to have a peek and see what things are like.

It's the unexpected stuff that will go up.

Everybody was hoarding early issues in the last 20-25 years and as a result...it's now the tail end of many runs that are selling for higher dollars.

Now, everyone is CGC'ing moderns and many of these moderns will also continue to get CGC'd in the next 20 years. So, you add what's happening now along with what's gonna' happen in the next 20 years and I come up with a lot of hi-grade CGC'd comics in plentiful supply.

Unless....the current low quantity runs play a part in future collectability of these comics. And even if so, grading won't have anything to do with future values...it will have to do more with the rarity of the comic.

Since I only buy what I like/love, I don't really spend any time contemplating (speculating?) what the future holds for graded moderns. Right now, I just buy 'em because I enjoy them. Once I get tired of them, I'll sell them. Let someone else enjoy them as I have.

As for how it may affect the hobby...that's a good question. One I'm certainly not really prepared to give any answer on. Who knows? In twenty years, will they even have printed media? Food for thought.

I mean, if we end up going to totally digital content delivery, why bother even printing comics? If that happens, I would imagine that prices will go up for these 'paper' collectibles, and as existing supplies are stashed away in collections, the supply will dry up.

The advent of the electronic age could have a VERY big affect in the comics world. Myself, I'm going to be watching very closely over the next 5 years to see how media distribution shapes up. To me, there's still nothing like holding that comic in your hands and feeling the textures...or getting that first smell of aged newsprint. I can't see print going the way of the dinosaur easily, but I do see it coming.

I've always had the mindset that a CGC graded book won't matter

unless the ungraded copies of the same book matter.

(In other words, people shouldn't waste money slabbing "nothing specials".) grin.gif

(...and if anyone who has slabbed Turok #1 is reading this... STOP IT!) 893naughty-thumb.gif

I think in 20 years the whole hobby will pretty much be dead anyways. So collect what you love, because you might just be left holding the bag on what used to be your "investment". I try to remind myself that the baseball cards I bought for decent money in the 90s are now just kindling. No real reason comics can't go the same way.

I think in 20 years the whole hobby will pretty much be dead anyways. So collect what you love, because you might just be left holding the bag on what used to be your "investment". I try to remind myself that the baseball cards I bought for decent money in the 90s are now just kindling. No real reason comics can't go the same way.

I was thinking the exact same thing might happen, that's why I ONLY buy/slab what I love!

(oh, and I have lots of basball card "firewood" too)

I like the Alkaline Trio Avatar, by the way hi.gif

well in 20 years they won't be modern anymore and value of a book will still depend more on supply and demand just like today.

Action Comics #1 doesn't sell so high at auction just because it's Superman....it's because it's Suerpman, it's old and there's not many of them out there in worthwhile condition.

The consistantly big sellers like Batman and Supes are partly because they are a part of the American identity. Green Lantern not so much. Will rebirth be a big $$ book, graded or not, in 20 yrs? probably not because everybody is out there slabbing their copies for just that purpose.

Will Spellbinders #1 be a big dollar comic? who knows....if it's a good story and achieves cult status like bone or cerebus and there's only 15 really good copies worldwide....maybe...

Buying comics or cards or action figs for investment purposes is silly.....short term spec, sure i can see that....but if folks are buying to hold for 20 yrs and then spin...just send me the money...i'll get a better return in a savings account for 20 yrs.

I'm somewhat of the mind that companies like CGC/PSA/Beckett/GAI are as much responsible for the decline in collectability as the producers of the actual comics/cards/figs. I mean hey...i like the archival aspect, knowing i can send my cards or comics in to be slabbed and they will forever be in that condition...well baring natural disaster or something like that....and it's nice knowing that if i'm gonna drop large jack on a book or card that it's certified not a fake...but on these boards and a few of the card related boards I frequent, it seems most of the biggest proponents of slabbing look at it in terms of the bigger return on a future sale because of the certified nature of slabbing.

i was walking down the street and noticed that there was something written on each slab of sidewalk.....good intentions...lol

and for the mods and CGC folk on the board.....the above wasn't a slam....

i've got slabbed cards and will likely start accumulating slabbed books. i like the service.

I could see in 20 years down the road with all these moderns getting slabbed that new collectors might react like this:

Future Collector 1: "Hey, why should I buy that 9.8 Green Lantern Rebirth # 1 again? Is it an important or key issue?"

Future Collector 2: "Who knows, I don't know of anybody who's ever cracked one open and actually read it!"

I could see in 20 years down the road with all these moderns getting slabbed that new collectors might react like this:

Future Collector 1: "Hey, why should I buy that 9.8 Green Lantern Rebirth # 1 again? Is it an important or key issue?"

Future Collector 2: "Who knows, I don't know of anybody who's ever cracked one open and actually read it!"

27_laughing.gif

As for how it may affect the hobby...that's a good question. One I'm certainly not really prepared to give any answer on. Who knows? In twenty years, will they even have printed media? Food for thought.

I mean, if we end up going to totally digital content delivery, why bother even printing comics? If that happens, I would imagine that prices will go up for these 'paper' collectibles, and as existing supplies are stashed away in collections, the supply will dry up.

The advent of the electronic age could have a VERY big affect in the comics world. Myself, I'm going to be watching very closely over the next 5 years to see how media distribution shapes up. To me, there's still nothing like holding that comic in your hands and feeling the textures...or getting that first smell of aged newsprint. I can't see print going the way of the dinosaur easily, but I do see it coming.

Now that is crazy idea. I'm not sure if i can see that happening. I mean, there is a rise in online comics, take Real Life (Greg Dean) online comics (www.reallifecomics.com) his popularity and success has risen immensly over the past few years and during this time my thoughts on "electronic comics" was that, this is where the comic "scene" was leading to. Last year Greg Dean brought out a book combining the first year of his comic and it sold like wildfire. He has also brought out another comic (of the paper kind) called L33T: Comic For Gamers (which i recently got #1 slabbed cloud9.gif) so i realised, although electronic comics seem to be rising in popularity it still manages to turn around and come back to the good ole paper comic.

I was thinking the exact same thing might happen, that's why I ONLY buy/slab what I love!

(oh, and I have lots of basball card "firewood" too)

I like the Alkaline Trio Avatar, by the way hi.gif

Thanks! grin.gif

sign-offtopic.gif

BTW: Kiltman,

I'm not up on my video games so who is that in your sig line? It looks like friggin' Robert Blake! 893whatthe.gif

No one in particular tongue.gif This one is a screenshot i took from Counter Strike:Source, one of the levels is a hostage map, i zoomed my magnum in on this particular hostages head and snapped.

(P.s New sig now, thanks to Mica)

guys, Green Lantern Rebirth wont have any value in 20 years mainly cause he will have been reborn at least twice more by then....

screwy.gif

He does have a point. crazy.gifNo-one stays dead anymore. sign-rantpost.gif