• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Potential Haul?

5 posts in this topic

Hey, everybody!

Today I saw, I'm gonna say hundreds, of comic books in a charity shop at £1 each and I was wondering if there is any value to them? They were all dated around the late 80s/early 90s, it was mostly DC with a few Marvels in there, I picked up these 4 just so I could come home and do a little research to see if they were worth more than I paid. If they are, I am going back tomorrow and picking up the whole lot, they were all in fantastic condition with all of them having their own protective sleeves.

While I am a fan of superheroes, I watch all the movies/TV shows, but when it comes to the comic books I am a bit of a novice. There were a lot of Batman, Nick Fury, SHIELD, Aquaman, Ragman, and a lot I hadn't heard of, if I am honest, but they were all DC/Marvel.

Any help you could provide would be greatly appreciated :)

IMG_0103[254].JPG

Those look to be Trade Paperbacks, not comic books. Trade Paperbacks usually have many printings so the best value would be the 1st printings.  While these seem like a nice price I don't see a 'haul' here. They are somewhat desirable for reading but not 'in demand' as a collectible. They would not be easy to sell. That's probably why they are still there.   

also, being in a sleeve does not automatically denote value or great condition.  If you want to get an idea of how much any given book is, go on ebay and look up the book and see its 'sold' prices.  Make sure you get the right printing, and try to take 'condition' into consideration as much as possible.

for a pound/per, you're getting decent 'reading' value, but your resale value might be somewhat limited, even if the books might be able to be sold elsewhere for $3-$5 (or pounds) each.  Lets say you bought 100 of these books, and were sure you could triple your money if you sold the books individually.  Well if it was just ONE book that you could buy for $100 and sell for $200, then GREAT.  But if its a hundred books, how much time and energy would it take to sort, price, take pics, post online, actually sell, collect money, pay fees, package the books, take the book to the post office, deal with refunds, etc?  And how much is that time and energy worth to you?  Not to mention the space (and weight) of carry and storing 100 books somewhere. 

And yes, SOME comics or trade paperbacks might be a gem and worth a ton.  But how much time would it take for you to FIND that comic, and how certain are you that you would be able to IDENTIFY one of those valuable comics if they showed up, and then how certain are you about identifying price related to condition, and how much profit can you actually realize if you wanted to sell that comic.  If you see a comic worth $100, how do you even sell it?  Just go on ebay?  Well you live in the UK (probably), so your market might be limited, and do you even have an ebay store already set up? can you grade or take/post pictures well?  What about ebay fees, currency fees, taxes, shipping, paypal fees, etc.  So are you SURE you can realize enough PROFIT to make it worth your time even if you were lucky enough to find some valuable books?