• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tampered slabs/comics?

3 posts in this topic

Hello everyone, I just got some comics for present and entirely new to the graded comic thing. I have two in question that I believe may have been tampered with because of the way that they are graded and what I believe to be damage. The first one below is a 9.8 SS but when I looked closely I saw that the corners looked a little dinged up. Is it normal? Has anyone else seen or had this kind of experience? When I looked it up on the cgc verification it came back with all the proper details. 

After reading up on some forums and watching some videos online. Though I'd still like to get a more experienced opinion from the community. I checked the corners of the slab and edges but I'm not seeing any cracks or cracking. The left center edge does look a little bubbly for some reason. And there appears to be dust particles along the top where the tag sits. The inner plastic that holds the comic itself looks rather glossy in certain areas like air may have gotten in.

IMG_20171127_115911539.jpg

IMG_20171127_115834170.jpg

Edited by ExodusGear
Missed info

22 minutes ago, ExodusGear said:

Hello everyone, I just got some comics for present and entirely new to the graded comic thing. I have two in question that I believe may have been tampered with because of the way that they are graded and what I believe to be damage. The first one below is a 9.8 SS but when I looked closely I saw that the corners looked a little dinged up. Is it normal? Has anyone else seen or had this kind of experience? When I looked it up on the cgc verification it came back with all the proper details. 

After reading up on some forums and watching some videos online. Though I'd still like to get a more experienced opinion from the community. I checked the corners of the slab and edges but I'm not seeing any cracks or cracking. The left center edge does look a little bubbly for some reason. And there appears to be dust particles along the top where the tag sits. The inner plastic that holds the comic itself looks rather glossy in certain areas like air may have gotten in.

The slab has not been tampered with. This is simply an example of soft grading by CGC. If you call CGC they will tell you a 9.8 is not perfect . Personally,  I agree with you and I would not be happy with this book as a 9.8.