• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

"Support the Troops" Marvel Comic

28 posts in this topic

Question, do they arrive in bags? Are these really being thrown onto a jeep and driven out to the field? I'm not trying to sound like a doofus, I just know that I have difficulty reading my books outside, what with wind and such, I can't imagine what it would be like in the field.

I'm guessing this is just something that can be set inside a footlocker for reading after hours back at base. confused-smiley-013.gif

Question, do they arrive in bags? Are these really being thrown onto a jeep and driven out to the field? I'm not trying to sound like a doofus, I just know that I have difficulty reading my books outside, what with wind and such, I can't imagine what it would be like in the field.

I'm guessing this is just something that can be set inside a footlocker for reading after hours back at base. confused-smiley-013.gif

They are loose and not in bags. The comics are pre-positioned in deployed base exchanges or post offices. Some are probably driven out to outlying areas as part of mail runs...

Jim

During the first Gulf War,topps and I believe it was McDonalds teamed up to include a spescial limited edition set of BB cards that were supposed to be included in the meals ready to eat packs(MREs) that were supplied to the troops in the field. Within days they showed up at card shows and in a short time they were so available the market was flooded.

It seems that no good deed goes unpunished.

During Desert Shield/Storm, Marvel and DC Comics both supplied free current monthly comics to the troops. Read the whole X-tinction Agenda crossover free during my deployment. And they weren't the only ones...Sports Illustrated, Time, Newsweek, Discover, The Sporting News and others were all available free. As well as Stars and Stripes is always free in a combat zone...

Jim

Hey JIm, do they still have the PM booklet?

I often wondered if those were collectible, as they go back pretty far.

PM Booklet? Not sure what you mean?

Jim

Hey JIm, do they still have the PM booklet?

I often wondered if those were collectible, as they go back pretty far.

PM Booklet? Not sure what you mean?

Jim

Sorry it's called PS

mogmarts_1.jpg

I have actually never seen one first hand and I wouldn't necessarily see one in my job. The booklet stays in the maintenance/repair areas. I believe some of the older ones were illustrated by Eisner and I'd bet those are worth something...

Jim

I have actually never seen one first hand and I wouldn't necessarily see one in my job. The booklet stays in the maintenance/repair areas. I believe some of the older ones were illustrated by Eisner and I'd bet those are worth something...

Jim

We used to get them all the time. I have a couple somewhere. I know they were published in the 60s. They were fully illustarted booklets. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

they could have given the troops some better art at least

sign-funnypost.gif893applaud-thumb.gifthumbsup2.gif

but at least it's a good/positive move... flowerred.gif

Actually, the interior breakdowns were done by Dan Jurgens with story by Bendis. And it's a pretty good done in one story to boot...much better than I expected...

Jim

they could have given the troops some better art at least

sign-funnypost.gif893applaud-thumb.gifthumbsup2.gif

but at least it's a good/positive move... flowerred.gif

Actually, the interior breakdowns were done by Dan Jurgens with story by Bendis. And it's a pretty good done in one story to boot...much better than I expected...

Jim

thanks for the tips wink.gif

does anyone has a scan/pics froma few pages on the inside?!

if it's a good book i might pick it up (i gave up from modern, but i symphatize - only - with the "ethical" side of this kind of campaign... )

kudos to marvel laugh.gif