• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What is comic "pressing"?

103 posts in this topic

I thought it was 1903?

17 Dec. 1903, You got it!!!

We have a WINNER!!! acclaim.gif

Just means that FFB is NOT a history buff. confused-smiley-013.gifpoke2.gif27_laughing.gif

Damn, a great comeback ruined by lack of attention to historical detail! foreheadslap.gifChristo_pull_hair.gif

I thought it was 1903?

17 Dec. 1903, You got it!!!

We have a WINNER!!! acclaim.gif

Just means that FFB is NOT a history buff. confused-smiley-013.gifpoke2.gif27_laughing.gif

Damn, a great comeback ruined by lack of attention to historical detail! foreheadslap.gifChristo_pull_hair.gif

flowerred.gifHappens to the best of us. That is what made it so easy in college, you CAN NOT change the

FACTS of history, nor the DATES.

What this does is force collectors to either take a stand NOW , or start going through their inventory for pressing candidates.

It's either against the grain, or go with the flow.

I think it's time people realize...there really is no MIDDLE GROUND on this issue.

I know that people think I'm crazy for thinking that my solution to the steroids issue in sports (force every athlete to take steroids whether they want to or not) would be an equally effective solution to the pressing problem (press every book whether it needs it or not), but I believe that, ultimately, history will vindicate me.

acclaim.gifinsane.gif

You are one crazy mofo! 893whatthe.gif

That's what they said to Orville and Wilbur Wright in 1905! Word for word! grin.gif

they said it to Charlie Manson too. 893whatthe.gif

droll, very droll..........i especially liked the long pause effect by having to scroll down to the "Insane" graemlim.

i know folks are very tired of pressing threads, but wonder if this will put new wind into the sail, due to the announcement that many's worst fear has been confirmed.

i personally see little difference whether Chris "officially" works for CGC or is setting up his own pressing business in the CGC building while working for CGC's parent company. even someone like myself (who has openly been on the "not too disturbed by pressing") side of the discussion, has mixed feelings about this........... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I didn't mean to trivialize this particular matter - I guess the ironic graemlin misfired. I would say that if anything this is a very important issue indeed, and goes beyond any previous pressing thread.

I'd like answers to your questions too, basically.

What this does is force collectors to either take a stand NOW , or start going through their inventory for pressing candidates.

It's either against the grain, or go with the flow.

I think it's time people realize...there really is no MIDDLE GROUND on this issue.

So what's the solution, to stop buying slabbed books? This is pushing me pretty close to that position now, which means I will effectively stop buying any comics because the types of books in the grades that I'm looking for simply aren't sold raw (except by Comickeys maybe).

I know that people think I'm crazy for thinking that my solution to the steroids issue in sports (force every athlete to take steroids whether they want to or not)

I've got a slightly different take. I want to hold a steroid Olympics, where steroid and other chemical enhancements would be encouraged, and see just how far the human body can be pushed. I would like to see a marathon run in under 2 hours and javelins being hurled out of the stadium.

[so what's the solution, to stop buying slabbed books? This is pushing me pretty close to that position now, which means I will effectively stop buying any comics because the types of books in the grades that I'm looking for simply aren't sold raw (except by Comickeys maybe).

That Comic-Keys makes some very gorgous looking books, I mean he HAS some very gorgous books.

Of course he probably presses them. stooges.gif

[so what's the solution, to stop buying slabbed books? This is pushing me pretty close to that position now, which means I will effectively stop buying any comics because the types of books in the grades that I'm looking for simply aren't sold raw (except by Comickeys maybe).

That Comic-Keys makes some very gorgous looking books, I mean he HAS some very gorgous books.

Of course he probably presses them. stooges.gif

893whatthe.gif

So what's the solution, to stop buying slabbed books? This is pushing me pretty close to that position now, which means I will effectively stop buying any comics because the types of books in the grades that I'm looking for simply aren't sold raw (except by Comickeys maybe).

The question you have to ask yourself is whether you're a slave to your collection or able to modify your collecting habits to adapt to changes in the hobby. I personally stopped collecting slabs back in Dec when this the Friesen/CGC frankenbook operation was being discussed. Everyone isn't me though. Collectors wil have to look at what they want in the hobby based on this information and go forward. If that means changing your grading criteria and dropping slabs, so be it. There will be others, probably the majority, who will continue collecting as if nothing has changed and choose to remain ignorant about whether their slabbed books have been sandwiched...I can't say I respect their decision...nor CGC putting collectors in this position to begin with...

Jim

Jim,

You seem to assume that every book now being slabbed by CGC should be considered pressed.

I just submitted a bunch of books to them that I know are not pressed.Nor will they return from CGC pressed.There are plenty of dealers and collectors that don't like pressing and won't avail themselves of this service.

Will you now buy only books that have defects because that means they have not been pressed?

Since I assume Chris will press some books that won't end up being slabbed,what do you propose we,as buyers, do? How does not buying

slabbed books protect you or me from buying a book that is pressed? Even were we to put togeter a list of dealers that vow not to press books,how can we,or even they, be certain the books they aquire have not been pressed? Short of not buying books at all,what are the solutions to this situation.

Short of not buying books at all,what are the solutions to this situation.

Solution #1 - CGC stop Friesen's new service. Not very damn likely...

Solution #2 - Dealers need to come out publicly against pressing comics. They will guarantee they will not knowingly sell pressed comics nor submit comics for pressing. Will they have pressed comics? Probably but they will not knowingly be selling them...

Solution #3 - Collectors will not deal with dealers who haven't satisfied #2...dealers will have to be clear about this stance or they don't get the business bottomline. There should be no question on the dealer's stance...

Solution #4 - Books known to be pressed should be treated as restored by both collectors and dealers. That includes the Heritage resubmits...

Those are a couple off the top of my head...may have more later. But at the end of the day what needs to happen is for collectors and dealers, and yes I know not all agree with me, to come out publicly and let the hobby know that rampant undisclosed pressing will not be tolerated. If we as a hobby start to treat pressed comics as pariahs then that will go a long way to solving the problem. Is it a 100% solution? No but it something more than sitting by doing nothing...

Jim

BTW, I have confirmed that Chris Friessen (sp?) has set up a pressing operation. He is right down the hallway from CGC. However, the operation is not under the legal rubric of CGC, but of CGC's parent corporation.

No further details known at this time.

Why even bother setting up the operations in another office down the hall. You may as well save the expense and keep the prices down for the collectors by making pressing the final step before the grading process. Only a gullible fool would consider this to be two separate processes at this point in the game no matter how far down the hallway it's being done.

Why have collectors incur additional costs by sending their books in for pressing, having them sent back, resending them back in for grading, and finally have them sent back again. You may as well have an one-stop "fix it and grade it" operation. I guess full turnaround times will now start to approach one year. 27_laughing.gif

Duh.....oh yeah, I forgot this is a perfect opportunity for CGC's parent company to hopefully double their revenue stream at the expense of the long-term integrity and health of the comic book back issue marketplace. 893naughty-thumb.gif

I know that people think I'm crazy for thinking that my solution to the steroids issue in sports (force every athlete to take steroids whether they want to or not)

I've got a slightly different take. I want to hold a steroid Olympics, where steroid and other chemical enhancements would be encouraged, and see just how far the human body can be pushed. I would like to see a marathon run in under 2 hours and javelins being hurled out of the stadium.

Yeah, if we can't beat them, we may as well join them.

Why stop at just cleaning and pressing. Why not open up the whole shebang and simply let everything go. This way we'll be able to get our books fully enhanced and restored without a worry in the marketplace. We can have an one-colour label system with all books guaranteed to come back purple with a perfect 10.0 grade.

Life is beautiful! yay.gifyay.gifyay.gif

If we as a hobby start to treat pressed comics as pariahs then that will go a long way to solving the problem. Is it a 100% solution? No but it something more than sitting by doing nothing...

Jim

Why should they be treated as pariahs? Are they evil? Will they infect your other books?

If we as a hobby start to treat pressed comics as pariahs then that will go a long way to solving the problem. Is it a 100% solution? No but it something more than sitting by doing nothing...

Jim

Why should they be treated as pariahs? Are they evil? Will they infect your other books?

Since I more then likely unknowingly own pressed books, be they Slabbed or RAW, I have come to the conclusion that it is NOT the books fault.

Love the books, be they Pressed or Puffy.

Just stay away from paying 5x over guide for a 9.6 when you can possibly get a nice 9.2 for MUCH less, and press it into a 9.6 all on your own!

And here all this time everyone thought that 9.2 slabs were the ugly red headed stepchildren of the comic world. Outcasts without a home... sorry.gif

Oh Contraire...9.2's are the trendy new vein of gold to be exploited... stake your claim now... ( gossip.gif till the market demands we have to pay 5X over guide for the 9.2's as well.)

Or should I sink my money in nice 8.5's?...I cannot decide

Ze-man

And to CGC.. commence with the details, let's hear your sales pitch..