• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Spoiler ettiquette

9 posts in this topic

15 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

Movies = Opening week

TV Shows = Show night

So on show night, right after the show ended?  When during opening week--opening night, or towards the end of the week?

Just now, fantastic_four said:

So on show night, right after the show ended?  When during opening week--opening night, or towards the end of the week?

Movies = end of week.

TV Shows = post-episode - though due to people's work schedules, some binge watch over the weekend. So this could be tricky.

If details are posted in spoiler code, and people look and complain afterwards, who's at fault?

1 minute ago, The Brain said:

some of use don't care if we know a few of the

spoilers.

Did you enjoy the Sixth Sense?  If someone tells you there's a HUGE plot twist at the end, guess what you'll do?  Spend the ENTIRE film looking for a plot twist.

The worst trailer I've ever seen for spoilers was Cast Away because during the trailer you see him off the island back on the mainland, meaning I knew from watching the trailer that there WAS no tension with him trying to hang himself, or struggling in the surf, or struggling to find food to live, because I knew already from the trailer that this guy was going to make it.  That's just lame.  I get that the thrust of the movie wasn't him being a castaway but him being "Cast Away," hence the space in the title of the film, but Ron Howard spent MORE than half of that film with him on the island, and given that fact, a huge portion of the film was his struggle to survive.  So knowing during the trailer that this guy was going to be fine was absolutely, positively a mistake and big spoiler.

I really don't get people not caring about spoilers.  If you're one of them, I presume a plot-driven film with a twist like "The Sixth Sense" wasn't your bag, whereas I see it as the absolute pinnacle of a plot twist in the history of cinema.  OK, then, it's fine since I see your idea that the first week is off-limits means you have some modicum of respect for the rest of us.  :applause:

9 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

Did you enjoy the Sixth Sense?  If someone tells you there's a HUGE plot twist at the end, guess what you'll do?  Spend the ENTIRE film looking for a plot twist.

The worst trailer I've ever seen for spoilers was Cast Away because during the trailer you see him off the island back on the mainland, meaning I knew from watching the trailer that there WAS no tension with him trying to hang himself, or struggling in the surf, or struggling to find food to live, because I knew already from the trailer that this guy was going to make it.  That's just lame.  I get that the thrust of the movie wasn't him being a castaway but him being "Cast Away," hence the space in the title of the film, but Ron Howard spent MORE than half of that film with him on the island, and given that fact, a huge portion of the film was his struggle to survive.  So knowing during the trailer that this guy was going to be fine was absolutely, positively a mistake and big spoiler.

I really don't get people not caring about spoilers.  If you're one of them, I presume a plot-driven film with a twist like "The Sixth Sense" wasn't your bag, whereas I see it as the absolute pinnacle of a plot twist in the history of cinema.  OK, then, it's fine since I see your idea that the first week is off-limits means you have some modicum of respect for the rest of us.  :applause:

The "key" here is "some". I did see the Six Sense, but knew not to have it spoiled. I also think that it depends on the type of movie, as well as if it

is a new movie or an ongoing franchise, IE. would be the last IM. I knew what one of the stunts was going to be, but not all, or the overall theme.  

The enjoyable part of seeing a movie is being excited and discussing what you just saw.

Movies:  After the second opening weekend on Monday (Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday...that's 11 days (solid 10 days if you don't include opening Thursday) for people to go see it).

TV Shows:  The next day.  Something like GOT you only have a limited time to talk about it until the next episode or upcoming previews hit YouTube.