• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Traditional directors that dislike superhero productions
2 2

83 posts in this topic

On 9/16/2021 at 11:32 AM, media_junkie said:

Holy over-react much, Batman!  Where in that tweet/quote did he call out Shang-Chi or your precious Captain Marvel?  But yet there you went.  

You cannot stand to even think someone is throwing shade at your precious Captain Marvel that you get offended even when shade is not being thrown.

Who's overreacting?

I just used Shang-Chi and Captain Marvel as examples from the MCU questioning Villenueve's statement that insinuates that Marvel movies are some kind of unoriginal cut and paste job. It's actually Shang-Chi that I elaborated on in my post. I could've also used Ant-Man or Dr Strange as examples but I didn't.

I think you guys are maybe a little reverse-over-sensitive about this Capitan Marvel thing.

On 9/16/2021 at 8:46 AM, @therealsilvermane said:

So where did Shang-Chi get cut and pasted from again? Gosh I must have seen the old familiar story in Captain Marvel over and over again in so many movies. Actually, no I haven't. They're both original movies featuring things that are relatively new to the movies, like an Asian-American(kind of) actually headlining a major Hollywood blockbuster action movie (Jackie Chan doesn't count. He's Chinese).

I was thinking the other day that there are too many movies that are just a reboot of a popular movie from the past like Blade Runner or Dune, though...

No one is talking about original or “firsts” from Marvel like the first Asian-American hero or first female lead.. etc. He’s talking about the cut and paste formula obviously. When you can find multiple examples like the one I posted below from many different sources, you’re probably running your formula into the ground. And as I’ve posted elsewhere, this is not a knock on Marvel, they are printing their own money. As long as there are fans like you, we will keep getting those same Marvel and Transformers and Fast and Furious flicks until the end of days. And if you’re happy with that, you win. 

https://www.hypable.com/how-to-write-every-marvel-movie-ever/

On 9/16/2021 at 12:10 PM, Oddball said:

No one is talking about original or “firsts” from Marvel like the first Asian-American hero or first female lead.. etc. He’s talking about the cut and paste formula obviously. When you can find multiple examples like the one I posted below from many different sources, you’re probably running your formula into the ground. And as I’ve posted elsewhere, this is not a knock on Marvel, they are printing their own money. As long as there are fans like you, we will keep getting those same Marvel and Transformers and Fast and Furious flicks until the end of days. And if you’re happy with that, you win. 

https://www.hypable.com/how-to-write-every-marvel-movie-ever/

Who was it that said "there are only 7 original stories" or something?

Congrats on finding yet another internet article bashing the MCU and blaming the "evil empire" for all that ails the world. The writer of the Hypable article does a good job of convincing himself (and some others I guess) that he's figured out the formula of these Marvel movies, but he's only convinced me that he's just another "know-it-all" media writer who doesn't know what a McGuffin is.

Sorry, but the Infinity Stones aren't a Hitchcockian McGuffin. A McGuffin (in the Hitchcock sense) doesn't matter to the story except to give a character(s) reason to move through the plot. In North By Northwest, the secret film inside the statue is only important because it drives the characters to do something. An Infinity Stone in a Marvel movie doesn't just give the characters a reason to act, it is itself a character in the Marvel movies and actually does something when one is obtained i.e. Ronan becomes godlike or Thanos uses five of them to wipe out half of all life in the universe. The Infinity Stones are more like the Ark of the Covenant in Raiders of the Lost Ark. Just like the Ark wipes out the Nazis on the island, the Infinity Stones also do something important within the story, other than just give characters a reason to chase after it.

And while the the writer's First Battle and Second Battle MCU theory might work for a couple of MCU films like Black Panther or Thor Ragnarok, it doesn't apply to Iron Man, Thor, Ant-Man, Dr Strange, Captain Marvel, Shang Chi, and a few others I'm leaving out.

The writer might have been more accurate in his summation of all MCU films if he'd said that practically every MCU story is about the hero(s) powering up, even the Avengers movies.

But while Marvel movies do have a story with varying degrees of quality, what really makes the MCU tick is the casting and focusing everything on the hero character (to the detriment of a decent villain at times) to the point they live and breathe and can jump from one film to the next and that being what the audience really wants to see. And nobody ever said that a strong character is a bad thing in the movies, or even literature. With Robert Downey Jr as Tony Stark as the shining example, character is what makes the MCU gold and is what keeps the audience coming back.

So, to the Hypable writer, what the MCU has done is not that easy, otherwise everybody would have been able to replicate it and be successful. And we all know how that's turned out so far.

Edited by @therealsilvermane

On 9/16/2021 at 8:25 PM, @therealsilvermane said:

Congrats on finding yet another internet article bashing the MCU and blaming the "evil empire" for all that ails the world.

You’re a bit of a drama queen aren’t you? I didn’t quote your wall of text to save others from scrolling vertigo. Let me just quote my own response to you in my post above because it sums up your wall nicely.

“As long as there are fans like you, we will keep getting those same Marvel and Transformers and Fast and Furious flicks until the end of days. And if you’re happy with that, you win.”

So be happy but don’t expect us all to be rank and file fanboys. 

On 9/16/2021 at 10:09 PM, Oddball said:

You’re a bit of a drama queen aren’t you? I didn’t quote your wall of text to save others from scrolling vertigo. Let me just quote my own response to you in my post above because it sums up your wall nicely.

“As long as there are fans like you, we will keep getting those same Marvel and Transformers and Fast and Furious flicks until the end of days. And if you’re happy with that, you win.”

So be happy but don’t expect us all to be rank and file fanboys. 

Ha ha okay. I am right, though.  
Btw, another dumb thing about the writer’s article and these others that proclaim the MCU to be the sign of the Apocalypse: Last I checked, MCU movies don’t pretend to be anything more than what they are, comic book movies. Kevin Feige doesn’t go around proclaiming they’re high art like some pretentious Chris Nolan flick. Someone recently wrote (this article?) that Marvel movies are turning us all into zombies. Give me a break. You know what’s turning people into zombies? Certain news channels, talk radio, YouTube, maybe even video games. Not Marvel movies.

On 9/16/2021 at 10:41 PM, @therealsilvermane said:

You know what’s turning people into zombies? Certain news channels, talk radio, YouTube, maybe even video games. Not Marvel movies.

Have you ever reread yourself? You’re not even a fanboy. You’re a caricature of one. Go back and delete all that before your kids read it! 

On 9/16/2021 at 11:03 PM, Oddball said:

Have you ever reread yourself? You’re not even a fanperson. You’re a caricature of one. Go back and delete all that before your kids read it! 

Fixed. 

Seems like the new trendy movie marketing trend is to bash the MCU. Got a new movie coming out that you're desperate for people to see? Do what Scorsese did and say Marvel movies are trash whether you've seen the movies or not! Nothing will get you and your upcoming movie more attention than umpteen internet articles and tweets proclaiming that you just bashed Marvel! 

On 9/17/2021 at 12:26 PM, @therealsilvermane said:

Seems like the new trendy movie marketing trend is to bash the MCU. Got a new movie coming out that you're desperate for people to see? Do what Scorsese did and say Marvel movies are trash whether you've seen the movies or not! Nothing will get you and your upcoming movie more attention than umpteen internet articles and tweets proclaiming that you just bashed Marvel! 

Yeah thats it. A marketing trend. No truth at all to it. We don’t need the internet to tell us the Marvel formula is getting stale. There are many here like me that enjoy Marvel movies but can still be objective. You are incapable of objectivity due to blind devotion. I’m not bashing Marvel and I agree with Scorsese’s amusement park assessment. Marvel films can be like a roller coaster ride. Scorsese sure knows how to bash Marvel. That’s like saying there’s too much violence in a Halloween movie. 

On 9/16/2021 at 4:14 AM, Bosco685 said:

Uh-oh

Now he gets cancelled next by MCU fanatics that can't see past a subjective statement!

:sumo:

I get what he's saying here, and the point is likely valid, but they're still fun, entertaining, and make gobs of money.

I also find it ironic/hypocritical that his comment basically boils down to "they're all copies of each other" and he's out here making a re-make of a movie based on a 55 year old book.

Edited by ExNihilo

On 9/17/2021 at 1:05 PM, ExNihilo said:

I get what he's saying here, and the point is likely valid, but they're still fun, entertaining, and make gobs of money.

I also find it ironic/hypocritical that his comment basically boils down to "they're all copies of each other" and he's out here making a re-make of a movie based on a 55 year old book.

I agree with you. But I’m still giving him a pass since he made Sicario. But he’s not remaking Dune the movie right? I thought he was just trying to make a better adaptation of the book. Like they are doing with The Running Man now. 

On 9/17/2021 at 10:16 AM, Oddball said:

I agree with you. But I’m still giving him a pass since he made Sicario. But he’s not remaking Dune the movie right? I thought he was just trying to make a better adaptation of the book. Like they are doing with The Running Man now. 

Correct, it is an adaptation of the book, but I guess the point I was trying to make is that his film can hardly be considered an original work.  And to me, that's the crux of his argument, that MCU movies aren't original.  I realize it's an oversimplification, but his job was to essentially "copy and paste" elements from the book for a modern audience.

At the end of the day, his words carry no weight to me.  He's allowed an opinion and there is merit to it, but it's just another dig at other peoples hobby's and interests.  I say let people enjoy the things they enjoy (as long as it isn't harmful to them or others) without belittling it.

On 9/17/2021 at 1:05 PM, ExNihilo said:

Remaking a classic book into a movie compared to building out a 24-movie franchise (and going, including now Disney+ shows) are not the same thing. Dune (1984) is considered loosely based on the book, which left hardcore book fans hungry for an actual portrayal. Which the SYFY series came the closest. Know what I mean?

Just like with Blade Runner 2049. At least with that story it was a continuation. Not a revamp. Anyone pointing to that film missed the boat completely.

On 12/31/2017 at 9:50 AM, Bosco685 said:

Since this seems to be a thing from time to time...

Jodie Foster Says Superhero Blockbusters Are ‘Ruining’ Moviegoing

jodie-foster-black-mirror-season-4.jpg?q

Isn't Jodie Foster the saint who helped infect the culture with Taxi Driver & Silence of the Lambs?

On 9/17/2021 at 10:24 PM, TupennyConan said:

Isn't Jodie Foster the saint who helped infect the culture with Taxi Driver & Silence of the Lambs?

On 9/17/2021 at 10:26 PM, Bosco685 said:

Those are wholesome family films. Show respect!

:baiting:

They are.  Unlike her earliest work, Bugsy Malone, which was a tasteless, horrific, gangster bloodbath.