• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mystery Comic Book
1 1

9 posts in this topic

SO!   A  buddy  of  mine  ran  across   some  old  family  slides,   and  found  one   with  a  youngster  reading  a  mystery  comic book.

He thinks  he's  got  it   narrowed  down  to  1957  to  1960...maybe. 

He thinks  it's likely  that  our  youngster is  reading  something  fresh  off  the  stand,  but  doesn't  have  a  clue what issue it might  be.

All that  occurs  to me  is  that  the  eight panel  layout  is  a  bit  unusual,  and  not much  more  than  that.  

I'm posting  a  shot  from  his  original  slide,   and  one that  I  cropped  and  tweaked  the  colors  a  bit.

Any  ideas?

pOurEUv.jpg

paW3ARR.jpg

Folks on another  Board  mentioned  that  lots  of  Disney  comics   used  the  8 panel per page  format,   that's  all  I  have  so  far.

15 hours ago, Tri-ColorBrian said:

Looks like a tom & Jerry to me...

Wanted to agree with this.  It does look like Tom in several panels, and at least a couple where it could be Jerry & his sidekick (Tuffy?  I really can't remember for sure...).

I do agree there appears to be a dog in several panels, but looks more like a bulldog or sheepdog build than Rin Tin Tin.

Almost certainly a Dell/Western book, I would say.

Well  thanks  Gang,   that's  certainly  more  than  we  started  with.   Likely  a  Dell,   quite  possibly  a  Tom  and  Jerry.