• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

On a serious note...
1 1

77 posts in this topic

I buy the stuff I like, have fond memories of, like the story and art.  However, I definitely have an eye for cashing out. When I buy something I love I always think is it a wise investment for cashing out purposes. I plan to liquidate my collection several years before my death (hopefully for more then I bought it for) and be buried in a coffin full of cash. 

Since getting back in the hobby after a long absence several purchases have gone seriously sideways and I'm attempting to have a more disciplined 2018. I like raw runs of story arcs that I wanna read but I've also bought (and since sold at a loss) stuff, that, ummm, I thought was a good idea. (DD Miller 9.8 newsstand run for example).

Anyways, percolating in my mind is the thought of putting an "Adventures of Big Boy" run together. The early issues are of interest because Timely put them out (Lee & Evertt and Lee's brother Larry) on a contract-shop basis. I can't say the stories would be much interest to read, however, there might be interesting Americana stuff in there. But if I'm honest with myself, nobody's gonna want that S--- 20 years from now, if ever. Yeah I can have fun collecting it but I can also have fun collecting stuff that I want that's more in demand at the end of the day.

Thoughts?

44 minutes ago, NoMan said:

I buy the stuff I like, have fond memories of, like the story and art.  However, I definitely have an eye for cashing out. When I buy something I love I always think is it a wise investment for cashing out purposes. I plan to liquidate my collection several years before my death (hopefully for more then I bought it for) and be buried in a coffin full of cash. 

Since getting back in the hobby after a long absence several purchases have gone seriously sideways and I'm attempting to have a more disciplined 2018. I like raw runs of story arcs that I wanna read but I've also bought (and since sold at a loss) stuff, that, ummm, I thought was a good idea. (DD Miller 9.8 newsstand run for example).

Anyways, percolating in my mind is the thought of putting an "Adventures of Big Boy" run together. The early issues are of interest because Timely put them out (Lee & Evertt and Lee's brother Larry) on a contract-shop basis. I can't say the stories would be much interest to read, however, there might be interesting Americana stuff in there. But if I'm honest with myself, nobody's gonna want that S--- 20 years from now, if ever. Yeah I can have fun collecting it but I can also have fun collecting stuff that I want that's more in demand at the end of the day.

Thoughts?

Just buy #1... or whatever the first issue is numbered , it used to be a top 20 comic  !

13 minutes ago, 1950's war comics said:

Just buy #1... or whatever the first issue is numbered , it used to be a top 20 comic  !

I think that's gonna be the plan. Perhaps the first 5 - 10. Wonder why #1 fell from top 20 comics?

Edited by NoMan

4 minutes ago, NoMan said:

I think that's gonna be the plan. Perhaps the first 5 - 10. Wonder why #1 fell from top 20 comics?

It's not that valuable anymore relatively to the top 20 comic lists from 40 years ago ... i think you can get one now for about $500.00 if you can find it.....

3 minutes ago, 1950's war comics said:

It's not that valuable anymore relatively to the top 20 comic lists from 40 years ago ... i think you can get one now for about $500.00 if you can find it.....

Two grand is what I'm seeing for #1 on Metro, or is it CC, or CL.

Collect what you love.

Invest in stocks, bonds, real estate, and commodities.

Your collection should be funded by disposable income.

Edited by newshane

4 minutes ago, NoMan said:

Two grand is what I'm seeing for #1 on Metro, or is it CC, or CL.

No i mean just a VG or so is around $500.00 , a 2.0 sold for $99 recently.... on eBay...

Hey it might be a fun set to collect over time in cheap low grades . i had not checked on them for a few years but they are still halfway popular on eBay..... and they have some neat covers ...

3 minutes ago, 1950's war comics said:

No i mean just a VG or so is around $500.00 , a 2.0 sold for $99 recently.... on eBay...

Hey it might be a fun set to collect over time in cheap low grades . i had not checked on them for a few years but they are still halfway popular on eBay..... and they have some neat covers ...

Thanks for your input. I always pick them up when I see them, usually for 25 cents to a buck. There's just so many of them. 

3 minutes ago, NoMan said:

Thanks for your input. I always pick them up when I see them, usually for 25 cents to a buck. There's just so many of them. 

Aren't there regional editions of at least some of them?

2 minutes ago, shadroch said:

Why?

Because once this hobby turns from being fun and enjoyable to being an investment...then it brings the pressures of money into the equation and that tends to kill the high, at least for me.

Once it becomes an investment, for the most part you will probably stop collecting the things you truly love in favor of the next big thing. And you will more than likely get burnt through the speculation.

5 minutes ago, shadroch said:

Aren't there regional editions of at least some of them?

First couple ones, if my understand of things are correct. #1 has an east coast cover and a west coast cover so you gotta buy two #1s. Same with #2 and #3

23 minutes ago, newshane said:

Collect what you love.

Invest in stocks, bonds, real estate, and commodities.

Your collection should be funded by disposable income.

I think I made all that clear in my OP. 

Edited by NoMan

If it brings him joy to collect a title that no one else seems to want, then he shouldn't have to worry about losing money after he's dead or too old to spend it anyway.

1 minute ago, shadroch said:

Some can multitask.

Actually, that's the key, making sure you have a diverse set of investments. Comics can be part of that set, but many people tend to put all their eggs in the same basket.

Maybe look at things as two buckets of funds. Define for yourself (based on your own means) what constitutes cheap stuff, by which I mean you can buy it to read and tolerate not getting every penny back out of the purchase, similar to buying a new novel or going to the movies or some event.

Then designate a portion for "fun investment" in books. But look at it as a slice of your entire investment portfolio, whatever makes that up.

i suggest this because it sounds to me like you like collecting both because you truly enjoy comics as a medium, and you enjoy the business aspect (for lack of a better word) of the hobby as well. 

My father loved to follow horse racing, but he never failed to call it "investing" when placing a bet. I think it was his way of reminding himself to approach the betting aspect of his hobby with some discipline and restraint. It's in that vein that I make my suggestions.