• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

DC Films designates new lead

23 posts in this topic

More news coming out about how the leadership changes is going to also lead to a further crackdown on leaks leading to roadmap confusion. I like what I am hearing so far, as WB executives jocking to get a pet project moved up the list were leaking details as if sometehing was much further along. This then leading to frustration what was really 'roadmap' versus 'spitballing'.

“DC Turning Up The Heat On Leaks, And Why That’s So Important”

Yes, it seems that anything and everything DC Entertainment even considers becomes a headline. The problem is, these things they’re considering aren’t always meant to be publicly shared. They have a very unique development process over at WB/DC, and it’s one that opens the studio up to unfair scrutiny when people within the company leak ideas before they’re ready to be shared. Johns knows this, and yet very little has been done about it in recent years. It’s true. Depending on who you ask, there are roughly 21 DC movies “in development.” Up until a couple of months ago, their slate supposedly included:

• Aquaman
  • Shazam!
  • Suicide Squad 2
  • The Batman
  • Justice League Dark
  • Batgirl
  • Green Lantern Corps
  • Flashpoint
  • Wonder Woman 2
  • Man of Steel 2
  • Nightwing
  • Lobo
  • Cyborg
  • Deadshot
  • Deathstroke
  • Black Adam
  • Booster Gold
  • Untitled Todd Philips Joker Movie
  • Untitled Joker/Harley Quinn Movie
  • Gotham City Sirens
  • Birds of Prey

Some of these were officially announced; Some of them came out as part of leaked reports, complete with information on who was hired to write them and whether or not they’ll be a part of DCU Shared Canon; And some haven’t been spoken about in a long, long time.

See, Warner Bros. has a process where they hire different teams to, essentially, compete for a green-light. In the case of Wonder Woman, for example, the studio reportedly hired five different writers to work on separate scripts for it back in 2015. From those five, things got narrowed down to two, and then- eventually- one movie survived the development process and got the go-ahead to enter production. Similarly, they hired multiple writers back when they were developing Aquaman. “Aquaman is being developed on dual tracks, where studios and producers hire two separate writers to work on the same project in the hopes of getting the best version,” THR wrote back in 2014.

It’s a Survival Of The Fittest approach, where only the best of the best actually gets produced.

These situations turn things that are really “Business As Usual” into “What The Heck Is Going On Over There?”-drama, and you end up with things like that incongruous “slate” I listed above, and the perception that DC is just throwing a bunch of things at a wall to see what sticks. They come off as directionless, reactionary, and- frankly- lost.

DC Entertainment doesn’t do itself any favors, though, because they rarely publicly address these kinds of reports. They don’t get out in front of these stories and say things like, “We haven’t committed to making this movie. All we’ve done is hired someone to develop it. You’re basing your entire report on something that’s really only the crumb of an idea that may or may not lead to anything. Chill.”

But it looks like all of that is about to change…

Chief among the benefits here is that it’ll allow for their creative process to work itself out without so much scrutiny. There’s nothing inherently wrong about having several irons in the fire and deciding which one of them is actually going to get put to use. When it’s prematurely reported on, it reeks of “Throwing Things At The Wall To See What Sticks” when, in actually, it’s allowing for only the best ideas to survive.

See, there are new sheriffs in town. There have been several high-profile changes at the top of the WB/DC machine in recent weeks, and it looks like controlling the narrative is a major priority for the powers-that-be. I saw something last week that I hadn’t seen before: Fear.

For now, just relish the fact that DC Entertainment is no longer going to allow itself to be a punching bag. It looks like they’re finally going to start cracking down on leaks and debunking false reports. It’s about time.

Warner Bros.' DC Universe Timeline Is Too Big for Just One Producer to Oversee

charles-roven.jpg?crop=97px,23px,540px,3

The plans for DC Films’ future are too big for any one producer to manage. That what one of those producers, Chris Roven, told Deadline at the PGA Awards ceremony.

Deadline: You’ve been an integral part of the DC Universe as the lead producer on many of their films. You’re currently moving forward on a sequel to both Wonder Woman and Suicide Squad. As the DC Universe expands, it seems your role is evolving …

Roven: "I think my role for the moment is to focus on those sequels but, you know, a couple of years ago, I was a producer on all of the Justice League movies and their individual heroes movies. But it became very clear that in order to be a producer on those movies in the timeline that Warner Bros. wanted, it was way too big a job for one producer to oversee."

Roven is currently producing the sequels to Suicide Squad and Wonder Woman. He has spoken about his changing role at DC Films before.

Roven: "The studio made me the producer of all the DC movies, and they announced eight," Roven said. "When we finished the [timetable], we looked at each other and said, 'This is incredibly ambitious, but we haven't taken into consideration if something goes wrong.' We also hadn't decided where we were going to shoot those movies. As difficult as it was for me to commute from Toronto to London to Italy, it became really clear I couldn't do the job that I do as a producer [with Aquaman likely to shoot in Australia]. I'm for sure producing the sequels of the movies that I have made."

Looks like Walter Hamada is building out his studio staff.

chantal-nong.jpg?w=1047&quality=85&strip

The DC Entertainment arm of Warner Bros. Pictures is filling out with the hire of Warners exec Chantal Nong.

Nong has been named vp production of Warners’ DC film group, which in January received a new leader in Walter Hamada, one of the executives behind the massively successful Conjuring horror movies made by Warner Bros.' New Line division.

Nong will now work on the development and production management of its slate.

While DC films currently are in a quiet period — Warners is only releasing Aquaman in 2018 and Shazam! is the only movie in production — that is expected to soon change. Wonder Woman 2 is heading into the casting stage and will be the next pic to shoot. Insiders say the next wave will likely include the Flash film and Batgirl, among others.

Nong has been with the studio since 2011 and most recently oversaw the development of The Meg, the upcoming prehistoric shark movie that stars Jason Statham, and Crazy Rich Asians. She previously worked on the studio’s Anne Hathaway comedy The Intern as well as 300: Rise of an Empire.