• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

BLACK WIDOW: THE MOVIE (TBD)
4 4

2,016 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, paperheart said:

little known fact: WB gave away 1/2 Joker profits for $20 million for altruistic purposes :idea:

if you're going to pull a Statler and Waldorf from the balcony, at least do it with facts.

The financiers who struck it rich on ‘Joker’

Warner Bros only agreed to it by sharing the risk with two co-financiers, Bron Creative and Village Roadshow, which chipped in about 20% of the production budget each.

The profit split arrangement between the three was never released. Analysts estimated it would be 33% each (so 66% non-WB).

images.jpeg.7ab8f3815b133e4b85b76ab701d8e20d.jpeg

2 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

if you're going to pull a Statler and Waldorf from the balcony, at least do it with facts.

The financiers who struck it rich on ‘Joker’

The profit split arrangement between the three was never released. Analysts estimated it would be 33% each (so 66% non-WB).

images.jpeg.7ab8f3815b133e4b85b76ab701d8e20d.jpeg

Good point.

But it also goes to a larger structural difference between the MCU and DCEU.

Disney finances 100% of its superhero movies from the jump.

Warner Bros/ATT, however, only fronts 30-50% of the money up-front, relying on the creative team and their production companies to raise the funds for the other half.

Hence the co-productions with RatPac, Legendary, Arad Entertainment, etc.

See the slate of announced - then cancelled - DC projects (New Gods, Justice League 2, The Trench, Cyborg, Gotham City Sirens, etc.) Most of these were not cancelled for artistic or story purposes, but rather from the lack of success in securing co-financiers. Which wouldn't be an issue if Warner Bros. just fronted 100% of the funds, Disney-style.

Simply different funding models. 

The flipside? When a film does *really* well (ex. Joker), the co-financiers get rich.

36 minutes ago, Gatsby77 said:

Good point.

But it also goes to a larger structural difference between the MCU and DCEU.

Disney finances 100% of its superhero movies from the jump.

Warner Bros/ATT, however, only fronts 30-50% of the money up-front, relying on the creative team and their production companies to raise the funds for the other half.

Hence the co-productions with RatPac, Legendary, Arad Entertainment, etc.

See the slate of announced - then cancelled - DC projects (New Gods, Justice League 2, The Trench, Cyborg, Gotham City Sirens, etc.) Most of these were not cancelled for artistic or story purposes, but rather from the lack of success in securing co-financiers. Which wouldn't be an issue if Warner Bros. just fronted 100% of the funds, Disney-style.

Simply different funding models. 

The flipside? When a film does *really* well (ex. Joker), the co-financiers get rich.

Totally agree! WB Studios has no clear plan nor constant faith in its own productions. Other than when they succeed, i is despite its own tampering and second-guessing.

Disney on the other hand gave Marvel Studios full support and the ability to control its destiny after earlier successes. And the wins in the end have been spectacular.

Other than that, what's your point about paperfart misquoting facts?

37 minutes ago, paperheart said:

BW consistently trailing A-M & Wasp at daily box office since opening day. Lowest MCU BO since A-M. But Disney+...

Oh no! It's taken Black Widow 6 whole days to reach $100M domestic theatrical.

2 whole days longer than Justice League!

And 2 days ahead of Fast 9; 4 days ahead of Ant-Man.

:ohnoez:

2 hours ago, Gatsby77 said:

Oh no! It's taken Black Widow 6 whole days to reach $100M domestic theatrical.

2 whole days longer than Justice League!

And 2 days ahead of Fast 9; 4 days ahead of Ant-Man.

:ohnoez:

took Endgame 6 hours; MCU Phase 4 is a Dean Smith 4 corners strategy until we get to movies the masses want to see

On 7/14/2021 at 5:31 PM, chrisco37 said:

I can pause the movie for the bathroom if I need to,

did you do that? make the family wait

On 7/14/2021 at 5:31 PM, chrisco37 said:

don’t overpay for a giant bag of popcorn

giphy.gif

Just now, jsilverjanet said:

did you do that? make the family wait

Actually, I don't think I took a bathroom break during this one.   But the option is available.  I'd pause it if they needed it.  I know we had a pause or 2 during Cruella.  
:blush:

Only did one bag of microwave popcorn for BW.     

13 minutes ago, jsilverjanet said:

@Bosco685

can you provide me the updated Disney Bots usernames as I believe my scorecard is outdated

So many Hollywood accountants depending on the movie in question, too deep to list.

Hollywood_Accountant01.gif.94d0a0018ae8bc54c51de9917d86f087.gif

(:

So, watched the film and I thought it was fine. I liked the hand to hand combat more than any of the more bombastic stuff. The espionage angle felt good, though I do wonder why the bad guy had not started his big plan yet if he had everything in place for years. And yeah, Taskmaster aint great. I have no clue why that character showed up in a huge army vehicle in the middle of the street, especially in a "spy" film. That was just too over the top in a film that was trying to be more grounded (at least, I think that's what it was aiming for).

On 7/14/2021 at 11:41 PM, Oddball said:

I will just echo the comments in the thread stating it’s much better than Captain Marvel and WW84. I would never watch either of those a second time but I can watch Black Widow again despite some major missed opportunities.

I did like it more than those two as well, which i too don't feel like watching again. Captain marvel is a really bland film (especially the final fight scenes) and WW84 is really nonsense.

This film never annoyed me, though some of the more bombastic scenes felt really random.

On 7/16/2021 at 8:07 AM, Bosco685 said:

:whatthe:

Height: 7′ 2″
Other names: The Dutch Giant

BW001.png.80cf826c15db50d646d348fa0647b81b.png

BW002.png.fb944920830fdce51daba4bbec71aa61.png

That is a big dude! Even The Mountain was dwarfed by him. Though not in mass by much.

olivier_richters.jpg.d2e32b809a6ef863c6e3b9b673dc35ac.jpg

Edited by Bosco685