• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

BLACK WIDOW: THE MOVIE (TBD)
4 4

2,016 posts in this topic

Disney didn’t offer up Disney+ revenue this time out, which means last week was likely just a one-time distraction. Walt Disney’s Black Widow dropped a harsh (but not unexpected) 67% in weekend two, earning $26.3 million for a new $132 million ten-day cume. Yes, that’s the biggest drop ever for an MCU title, and closer to the likes of Batman v Superman and Man of Steel than Wonder Woman or Black Panther. However, the prior “biggest second-weekend drop” MCU flicks were Spider-Man: Homecoming (from a $117 million launch in 2017) and Ant-Man and the Wasp (from a $76 million debut in 2018). Both dropped 62% on this same weekend but continued to leg out over the summer for decent 2.85x weekend-to-final multipliers.

The film earned another $29.9 million overseas for a new $132 million overseas and $264 million worldwide cume. That overseas weekend gross is barely more than the $28.6 million earned by F9 following several overseas openings (including $9.5 million in France). There’s no official word on China, but I have to think it’s being held until after the blackout period sometime next month. Black Widow will soon pass The Incredible Hulk ($267 million in 2008), so it won’t have the be the lowest-grossing MCU movie ever. Its global grosses counting the $60 million in Disney+ revenue are at least $324 million or if you count the Disney+ numbers twice (since they don’t have to split 50/50 with theaters) around $384 million in global grosses.

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/movie-theater-owners-blame-marvel-204901310.html

No, theater chains... you are really not getting it.

Disney did not leave money on the table.  Disney made more money. 

As many movie lovers like going to the theater, the average family is outpriced.  With the quicker turnaround times between home streaming and theater, many more people will wait. 

Disney is allowing you to watch Black Widow from home for the price of two tickets.   Actually... less than two tickets.   And I can buy make my own popcorn in the microwave and drink and eat whatever I want. 

Got a family of four?  They were waiting for Black Widow to come on Disney+ anyway.   They weren't spending $15 x 4 for $60 and then throwing in at least $10 per person in concessions.  They might do that for something that is a once in a lifetime event movie but not for Black Widow.  By streaming it at home that $100 night at the movies just became $30 + $20 in a bag of dorritos and cheese dip along with a 2 liter of soda to split amongst the family. 

So... just like the record companies who made CD's they will have to learn to adapt or they will close. 

The old way of movie distribution is almost dead.  They need to fix things or everyone will die.   

First off?  There are too many movie theaters.  I think I have shown this before.  You have two major movie houses literally down the road from one another with both showing the same set of movies.  Talk about diluting your customer base.  

Screen Shot 2021-07-18 at 5.40.04 PM.png

Just got back seeing the movie.  It was good not great. My personal biggest issue was it did not feel 2 years late because of Covid, it felt 6 years late.  Because of this, the movie lacked any feeling of stakes and lacked any emotional impact.  While generally good, and well made, it felt like it was just going though the motions at times.  The plot was very linear and predictable.  I enjoyed the first half much more when is was a somewhat grounded spy thriller, before it veered off into 80's James Bond territory (although those movies did have there moments). 

It was well acted, I enjoyed all the principle actors/actresses in there roles.  I felt the pacing was good, and only had one or two areas that started to drag.

Spoiler

Nitpick, and I admit it.  The scenes that relied on swapping roles suffered from a body type problem. When Rachel Weisz and Scarlett Johansson switched, it was so blatantly given away by the fact that Weisz is several inches taller, weighs more, and has very different proportions to Johansson. It made that twist completely illogical.  In a similar vein, I know it is common knowledge that one of the stunt doubles Taskmaster was male.  I may have been biased going into the movie since I already knew the twist, but by the proportions of the stunt person, as well as the way they moved it was clear it was not a woman or at least a different person in the suit at times. So in the final scene with Taskmaster it was clear the person smaller, then earlier in the film.

19 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/movie-theater-owners-blame-marvel-204901310.html

Spoiler

As many movie lovers like going to the theater, the average family is outpriced.  With the quicker turnaround times between home streaming and theater, many more people will wait. 

Disney is allowing you to watch Black Widow from home for the price of two tickets.   Actually... less than two tickets.   And I can buy make my own popcorn in the microwave and drink and eat whatever I want. 

Got a family of four?  They were waiting for Black Widow to come on Disney+ anyway.   They weren't spending $15 x 4 for $60 and then throwing in at least $10 per person in concessions.  They might do that for something that is a once in a lifetime event movie but not for Black Widow.  By streaming it at home that $100 night at the movies just became $30 + $20 in a bag of dorritos and cheese dip along with a 2 liter of soda to split amongst the family. 

So... just like the record companies who made CD's they will have to learn to adapt or they will close. 

The old way of movie distribution is almost dead.  They need to fix things or everyone will die.   

First off?  There are too many movie theaters.  I think I have shown this before.  You have two major movie houses literally down the road from one another with both showing the same set of movies.  Talk about diluting your customer base.  

The theater promoters and owners may be extremely frustrated after well over a year of horrible pandemic impacts.

But with  67% drop in the 2nd weekend when this is the first MCU film in two years which fans were super-excited to experience, there is a concern about support to grow the box office results. Even though Disney makes more money running its films via streaming.

These chains helped make the MCU the mighty powerhouse that it is. So they may feel betrayed Disney didn't do much more to push the theatrical experience as a priority. especially during their time of need when the theater experience has to be reinforced to encourage more attendance. But nice for Disney it made more money.

(shrug)

1 minute ago, Bosco685 said:

But with  67% drop in the 2nd weekend when this is the first MCU film in two years which fans were super-excited to experience, there is a concern about support to grow the box office results. Even though Disney makes more money running its films via streaming.

Eh, I'd say based on the results of both 1st week and 2nd week it was only the "die hard" MCU fans that were super-excited to see/experience this.  Looks to me like the "casual" fan really didn't care enough.

7 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

The theater promoters and owners may be extremely frustrated after well over a year of horrible pandemic impacts.

These chains helped make the MCU the mighty powerhouse that it is. So they may feel betrayed Disney didn't do much more to push the theatrical experience as a priority. especially during their time of need when the theater experience has to be reinforced to encourage more attendance. But nice for Disney it made more money.

(shrug)

If I were a theater owner I would be crapping in my pants.  I saw this today, and yes it was a little bit of an odd time (2:50 on Sunday), and it is a fairly nice day in my area, so there is plenty of outdoor things to do. My wife and I, liked being back in the theater.  We both had missed it, and were happy to see BW on the big screen.  With that said the theater was maybe 1/5th full.  More importantly, there was no energy in the theater. Everyone just kind of sat there.  I do not think I heard one scream, or gasp, and there was no clapping at any point.  There were a few scattered laughs, but that was all.

Edited by drotto

7 minutes ago, media_junkie said:

Eh, I'd say based on the results of both 1st week and 2nd week it was only the "die hard" MCU fans that were super-excited to see/experience this.  Looks to me like the "casual" fan really didn't care enough.

I get it where this movie had its detractors and concerned MCU fans alike. I'm one that felt this was very poorly timed even before it came out.

But no matter what, MCU diehards have been without a Marvel Studios film for a long time. So even with this level of story that may feel slightly (or more) off, it's still an MCU film. Like the streaming shows, folks are hungry for anything and everything. As long as it has that logo at the beginning of it.

MCU_intro.gif.ebbfe54e4e656206e1e6ea70ee0c1043.gif

Edited by Bosco685

7 minutes ago, drotto said:

If I were a theater owner I would be crapping in my pants.  I saw this today, and yes it was a little bit of an odd time (2:50 on Sunday), and it is a fairly nice day in my area, so there is plenty of outdoor things to do. My wife and I, liked being back in the theater.  We both had missed it, and were happy to see BW on the big screen.  With that said the theater was maybe 1/5th full.  More importantly, there was no energy in the theater. Everyone just kind of sat there.  I do not think I heard one scream, or gasp, and there was no clapping at any point.  There were a few scattered laughs, but that was all.

Wow! :(

Just now, Bosco685 said:

I get it where this movie had its detractors concerned MCU fans alike. I'm one that felt this was very poorly timed even before it came out.

But no matter what, MCU diehards have been without a Marvel Studios film for a long time. So even with this level of story that may feel slightly (or more) off, it's still an MCU film. Like the streaming shows, folks are hungry for anything and everything. As long as it has that logo at the beginning of it.

MCU_intro.gif.ebbfe54e4e656206e1e6ea70ee0c1043.gif

But this is where I disagree with that.  I liken it to the same thing as shopping for household essentials.   Pre-pandemic I shopped at Target or Rite Aid to pick up things like deodorant or tooth paste.  Now?  Amazon all the way. 

Groceries?  I used to go to the supermarket all the time.  Now my food shopping experience has shifted to Costco even for their butcher, Amazon, and then if I need anything else after that, the local supermarket. 

Comic book bags and boards, action figures, home essentials and anything else... February of 2020?  Comic Store, Target / Walmart, Home Goods.  Now? Amazon, Amazon / Hasbro Pulse, Amazon.  

People have gotten used to watching their movies from home.  Add to the fact that even before 2020 the turnaround time from theater to small screen had decreased.   Trends are changing.   People are changing their consumption habits. 

Now in the case of the quality of Black Widow.  This movie was delayed so many times that I kind of predicted this when I likened it to the delay of GI Joe Retaliation.  

1 minute ago, Bosco685 said:

I get what you are saying but I'm going to have to respectfully disagree that folks are hungry for anything and everything MCU.  I believe a fair amount of people see/saw "Avengers Endgame" as a jumping off point after 10 years of mostly great films and story telling.  The next two films up are Shang-chi and the Eternals, I believe you are going to see disappointing box office returns with those as well.

32 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

But this is where I disagree with that.  I liken it to the same thing as shopping for household essentials.   Pre-pandemic I shopped at Target or Rite Aid to pick up things like deodorant or tooth paste.  Now?  Amazon all the way. 

Groceries?  I used to go to the supermarket all the time.  Now my food shopping experience has shifted to Costco even for their butcher, Amazon, and then if I need anything else after that, the local supermarket. 

Comic book bags and boards, action figures, home essentials and anything else... February of 2020?  Comic Store, Target / Walmart, Home Goods.  Now? Amazon, Amazon / Hasbro Pulse, Amazon.  

People have gotten used to watching their movies from home.  Add to the fact that even before 2020 the turnaround time from theater to small screen had decreased.   Trends are changing.   People are changing their consumption habits. 

Now in the case of the quality of Black Widow.  This movie was delayed so many times that I kind of predicted this when I likened it to the delay of GI Joe Retaliation.  

30 minutes ago, media_junkie said:

I get what you are saying but I'm going to have to respectfully disagree that folks are hungry for anything and everything MCU.  I believe a fair amount of people see/saw "Avengers Endgame" as a jumping off point after 10 years of mostly great films and story telling.  The next two films up are Shang-chi and the Eternals, I believe you are going to see disappointing box office returns with those as well.

Disney kicked the Black Widow can down the road multiple times based on desperation for box office results. It may cost it more to achieve. But when so many of its more modern films have resulted in tremendous financial success, no way can streaming replace that level of revenue size. No matter how much more money streaming allows Disney to claim for its own coffers.

I'm not a super-fan of this movie. For me, it was just okay. But we all have seen the $$ the MCU delivers for Disney. And the Disney execs recognize that difference as well.

See what I mean?

Edited by Bosco685

30 minutes ago, D84 said:

67% drop? That's like Batman v Superman. 

And to think, at least with Black Widow it had 23 mainly massive successes prior to its release. So you can't even compare the two results. Incredible!

46 minutes ago, media_junkie said:

I agree with you saying that many people saw Endgame as a jumping off point. Where I disagree somewhat, is BW the first weekend was driven by MCU diehards, that group is still sizable, but is much smaller than needed to drive billion plus dollar movies without a large number of "regular" people to push the numbers. Also, the movie is not good enough to be generating repeat viewings in the numbers needed.

I also agree that this does not bode well for Shang-chi and Eternals.  I think BW was at a disadvantage because of Covid delays and a dead lead character.  It should have had some significant advantages like having a bankable Star, pent up movie demand, and a more familiar feel and timeline (meaning a possible nostalgia angle).

24 minutes ago, paperheart said:

but Batman v Superman had two characters no one had ever heard of 10 years ago while BW has been the most recognized superhero in the world since the 1930's

Right? At least with Black Widow it was a brand new franchise with no massive previous buildup.

MCU01.png.c4a5b1f921efb8b59397b41125e0a9a1.png

emotion01.gif.2d4bbe76e268e933adecf3b15d83fbf6.gif

3 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

Only cost me $18.00 for the 2 of us to see if here at their biggest theater screen.  It helped I had my monthly FREE ticket through their rewards program and 25% off concessions lol 

14 minutes ago, NewWorldOrder said:

Only cost me $18.00 for the 2 of us to see if here at their biggest theater screen.  It helped I had my monthly FREE ticket through their rewards program and 25% off concessions lol 

Same for me.  I saw it at 7.50 matinee prices with some service charges and taxes so it came out to about $18.